Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

XM Radio with COMMAND?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2004, 10:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK 350, Caspian Blue
XM Radio with COMMAND?

Hi everyone. I have recently picked up my new SLK 350 with the COMMAND and HK Logic 7 audio (excellent sound btw). I am a fan of XM Radio and want to have a system installed using the COMMAND unit in place. I have been reading about converters (XM Direct?) that are available that allow XM to work with any head unit that is configured for sat radio. Many models listed but not MB.

I know I can install the external XM units and use the AUX input but I really don't want to mess with all that and clutter the interior. I also know I can pay the dealer to install Siruis but with the MLB contract XM signed I won't be changing.

Has anyone done this or have any ideas? Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:29 PM

2003 E500
A quality XM installer can put an XM receiver in without clutter. In my E500 I had a unit installed where the ashtray was (and without having to remove the cigarette lighter/outlet). If I close the ashtray cover, you don't see it at all. I didn't have an AUX input, so we had to use an FM modulator, but it sounds as if you will be able to use the input directly--and, I assume, without clutter. The antenna sits on the back panel under the rear window, where it is virtually invisible.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:53 AM

2002 S 500 CPO
any pictures of the ash tray location ? Sounds like a good solution. WHo did the install for you ?
Old 12-03-2004, 11:55 AM

2003 E500
I'm sorry, I don't have a picture (a digital camera is on my Xmas list). It is an Alpine unit which, by being turned slightly toward the driver, just fits in the space to the left of the cigarette lighter after the ashtray itself is removed.
It was installed by Myer-Emco at their Baileys Crossroads location (northern VA).
Old 12-03-2004, 02:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
http://homepage.mac.com/drsunilpatel/PhotoAlbum14.html