Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

CD Changer Install Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2004, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CD Changer Install Problem

I bought a used Mercedes CD changer which I am trying to install in my 2001 SLK. When I first hooked it up to the fiber optic connections in the trunk, it worked fine. Then I installed the changer in a mounting bracket, and it quit working. Now, all it says on the head unit is "magazine empty". Could I have damaged one of the fiber optic connections, or is the changer itself defective?
Old 12-04-2004, 05:23 PM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
This is EXACTLY why I tell everyone NOT to buy used cd changers. This problem makes it very easy to sell a broken cd changer to a sucker on the internet who doesn't know any better. You have a very common problem with that changer in that it will intermittently display "no magazine". Replacement is the only solution I know of.
Bite the bullet and get a new one, and at least it will have a warranty on it!
Keep in mind that as long as the radio will recognize the cd player, then the fiber optics are in working order.
Old 12-10-2004, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
850 Wagon...that's right, 850 WAGON!
Question ...yes I'm new!

Greetings:

I grabbed an '01 E320 Wagon for my wife and it doesn't have the factory changer. With the way the electronic industry release new models almost daily, is the MERC99 from Crutchfield still the only option if you want to use the OEM controls?

thanks / Bobby