Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

2004 C230 Sport Coupe - Aux in or other MP3 solution?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 03:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'04 Mars Red C230K Sport Coupe (not Coup-EH)
2004 C230 Sport Coupe - Aux in or other MP3 solution?

I have a 2004 C230 Sport Coupe (the hatchback) with a CD changer installed. After experiencing less than stellar performance from FM transmitters, I wanted to try to plug in my MP3 player directly into the head unit. Unfortunately, the tape hides behind the main screen on this head unit, so tape converters are out of the question. I've been hearing about an aux input that is available. Is it available on this head unit and model?

Also, I've seen something where people have stopped their tape deck and soldered wires directly onto the outputs in the radio itself. I would do this, except it would undoubtably void my warranty. I'd like to try for a relatively non-invasive approach, if at all possible.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-15-2004, 03:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by jedcred
I have a 2004 C230 Sport Coupe (the hatchback) with a CD changer installed. After experiencing less than stellar performance from FM transmitters, I wanted to try to plug in my MP3 player directly into the head unit. Unfortunately, the tape hides behind the main screen on this head unit, so tape converters are out of the question. I've been hearing about an aux input that is available. Is it available on this head unit and model?

Also, I've seen something where people have stopped their tape deck and soldered wires directly onto the outputs in the radio itself. I would do this, except it would undoubtably void my warranty. I'd like to try for a relatively non-invasive approach, if at all possible.

Thanks in advance.
First, auxiliary input is not available as any sort of factory thing on your car with the radio that's there. With that in mind, here are some options:

1) Upgrade to COMAND. You get nav, you get other stuff, and you get aux input, hardwired, done the way it should be done.

2) Get a cassette tape adapter with a flat or thin cable. Sound quality is pretty good considering you're working with the stock radio anyhow.

3) Get a radio off eBay and hardwire inputs to the tape on that, then keep your original radio for warranty purposes. Or, modify your original radio, and if you ever have a warranty issue, THEN buy one off eBay.

#2 is probably cheapest and easiest, although the second part of #3 could be
cheap too.

-s-
Old 12-15-2004, 08:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'04 Mars Red C230K Sport Coupe (not Coup-EH)
I got slightly frustrated today driving around looking for a cassette adaptor that has a ribbon cable instead of a round cable, but to no avail. When I went home I just sliced away the outer cable cover to my existing cassette adaptor and was able to comfortably fit the cassette adaptor in the head unit. Basically, I trailed the wires off to the left side of the flip up display and closed it, and it fit with no resistance. Tape ejects easily too. It's not the prettiest mod, but it works and isn't invasive. As an alternate to the disable-the-tape mod, one may just put the tape adaptor in and trail the wire into the glove box for a better-looking mod.

However, I'd like, in the future, to get a COMMAND system with GPS and all that. Can anyone tell me which model COMMAND I'd need for this car (2004 C230 hatchback)? Also, for GPS, don't I need to install an antenna as well? Does anyone know if the existing in-glovebox CD changer works with the COMMAND? Also, I've been hearing that some COMMANDs have MP3 playback abilities. Which model is this?

Sorry for so many questions , and thanks for the responses.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
I got slightly frustrated today driving around looking for a cassette adaptor that has a ribbon cable instead of a round cable, but to no avail. When I went home I just sliced away the outer cable cover to my existing cassette adaptor and was able to comfortably fit the cassette adaptor in the head unit. Basically, I trailed the wires off to the left side of the flip up display and closed it, and it fit with no resistance. Tape ejects easily too. It's not the prettiest mod, but it works and isn't invasive. As an alternate to the disable-the-tape mod, one may just put the tape adaptor in and trail the wire into the glove box for a better-looking mod.

However, I'd like, in the future, to get a COMMAND system with GPS and all that. Can anyone tell me which model COMMAND I'd need for this car (2004 C230 hatchback)? Also, for GPS, don't I need to install an antenna as well? Does anyone know if the existing in-glovebox CD changer works with the COMMAND? Also, I've been hearing that some COMMANDs have MP3 playback abilities. Which model is this?

Please use the search function. Search on "MBenzNL COMAND".

-s-
Old 12-16-2004, 09:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look for the SONY units. The come with a flat ribbon and woked in my SLK320.
If I had seen this thread I wouold have saved it and mailed it to you since I tossed it yesterday after I picked up my SLK350.

Good luck!
Old 08-20-2011, 09:24 PM

C230 Coupe
Hello All!

If i buy this, and install it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003-...5#ht_614wt_866

then will i have AUX?

I already have this
https://mbworld.org/forums/attachmen...id=37907&stc=1

but no where to attach it

maybe the command unit has a spot in the back for it?
Old 08-22-2011, 05:25 PM

many
A totally different approach would be to hijack the CD changer audio lines, presuming you don't use the changer. Literally pull out the audio pins and add an 1/8" jack to the end.

Keep a CD in there playing endlessly to keep the audio alive.

If that's too hard, you could maybe splice into the audio lines, and endlessly play a "zero data" CD.

We did that on one car, but sorry don't know in detail how to do it on yours.

I would think there might be an adaptor that would do this, but am not aware of one offhand.

Trending Topics

Old 05-09-2014, 09:24 AM

2010 GLK350 4matic
Bluetooth cassette tape. $69 online. I wonder if there is a jack that plugs in where the CD changer goes and the other end would be an aux input. That would be sweet.