Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Help!! Steve, Sunman, Scorchie on UHI 6230

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-23-2004, 03:54 PM

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
Chevrolet Chevette, Ford Pinto, Pontiac Aztek, Trabant, Yugo GV (and all the worst cars ever built)
Help!! Steve, Sunman, Scorchie on UHI 6230

Guys,

I need your help. I just bought two 6230 phones with my T-mobile family plan and I find out a week later when one had a problem and I looked behind the phones that they were 6230b (RH-28) and I am concerned that it might not work with the UHI that I plan to buy from Steve.

Scorchie you mentioned that the 6230B has problems

Originally Posted by scorchie
You need to search on the forums for "6230B" because it's been stated here quite a lot that the 6230B WILL NOT WORK with UHI. The product identifier differs between the two... RH-12 vs. RH-28.
-s-
However, Sunman commented somewhere in another post dedicated specifically to the stating that a 6230B will be okay with the UHI if one uses T-mobile, which uses the 900/1800/1900 band. Here is the link.

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...highlight=6230

Scorchie, you also mentioned in the very first post of this thread

"That's all! Please do not ask for others. Also note that if you are a Cingular or AT&T customer, recommended phones are SE T616/T637, the Siemens phones ending with "6", and the Nokia 6200 and 6230b. Many of these are currently available at subsidized prices direct from the provider..."

All these posts led me to believe that cingular users can only use 6230 while T-mobile users are okay with 6230B. I am a T-mobile user so am I okay with those UHI kits you are selling? I spent a good 20 minutes with Nokia USA on the phone right now and they said that the 6230 (900/1800/1900) band IS NOT SOLD IN THE USA, only the 6230B (850/1800/1900) sold specifically for cingular users. Anybody can confirm this???

Since I am using T-mobile that uses the 1900 band, will it really make a difference between a 6230 and 6230B?

Please respond soonest because I might have the chance to change the phones today to a normal 6230 (900/1800/1900). Otherwise I am screwed with two new phones that I cannot use on a UHI I plan to put on my car.! (Oh brother@@!! *&^
Old 12-23-2004, 04:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by Paxfobiscum
Guys,

I need your help. I just bought two 6230 phones with my T-mobile family plan and I find out a week later when one had a problem and I looked behind the phones that they were 6230b (RH-28) and I am concerned that it might not work with the UHI that I plan to buy from Steve.

Scorchie you mentioned that the 6230B has problems

However, Sunman commented somewhere in another post dedicated specifically to the stating that a 6230B will be okay with the UHI if one uses T-mobile, which uses the 900/1800/1900 band. Here is the link.

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...highlight=6230

Scorchie, you also mentioned in the very first post of this thread

"That's all! Please do not ask for others. Also note that if you are a Cingular or AT&T customer, recommended phones are SE T616/T637, the Siemens phones ending with "6", and the Nokia 6200 and 6230b. Many of these are currently available at subsidized prices direct from the provider..."

All these posts led me to believe that cingular users can only use 6230 while T-mobile users are okay with 6230B. I am a T-mobile user so am I okay with those UHI kits you are selling? I spent a good 20 minutes with Nokia USA on the phone right now and they said that the 6230 (900/1800/1900) band IS NOT SOLD IN THE USA, only the 6230B (850/1800/1900) sold specifically for cingular users. Anybody can confirm this???

Since I am using T-mobile that uses the 1900 band, will it really make a difference between a 6230 and 6230B?

Please respond soonest because I might have the chance to change the phones today to a normal 6230 (900/1800/1900). Otherwise I am screwed with two new phones that I cannot use on a UHI I plan to put on my car.! (Oh brother@@!! *&^

Check the dates! Later posts generally have more information than earlier posts.

Basically, what sunman wrote is correct:

"UHI can use the 6230 but not the b version."

Whatever provider you have has little impact on what works with UHI, except that certain providers sell certain phones. T-mobile is now going the way that Cingular and then AT&T went, which is support for GSM on the 800MHz band, so they have now started selling phones like the 6230B and the Sony T637.

-s-
Old 12-23-2004, 04:46 PM

Chevrolet Chevette, Ford Pinto, Pontiac Aztek, Trabant, Yugo GV (and all the worst cars ever built)
Scorchie,

T-mobile does not sell the phone nor does it even offer it. I bought those two phones retail for over $300 EACH. The retailer first offered me a cingular marked phone which he said is "unlocked" but I refused that for fear it was not going to be compatible with the UHI. So I had to wait two days for him to get new 6230s. The boxes were sealed and clearly stated 6230 (WITHOUT THE "B") so I bought them. It was only yesterday that I realized they were B's. I complained to Nokia and they said that the US version of the 6230 is a "B" model and the Euro version (sold only in Europe) is the "no B" model and even if I wanted that they do not sell it.

Am I screwed with two useless phones now??? Are the UHI's totally useless with the "B's"

Sweet brother, tell me there is a way out of this....

I should have just bought the bloody Sony Ericsons....

Last edited by Paxfobiscum; 12-23-2004 at 04:47 PM. Reason: wrong wording
Old 12-23-2004, 05:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Scorchie,

T-mobile does not sell the phone nor does it even offer it. I bought those two phones retail for over $300 EACH. The retailer first offered me a cingular marked phone which he said is "unlocked" but I refused that for fear it was not going to be compatible with the UHI. So I had to wait two days for him to get new 6230s. The boxes were sealed and clearly stated 6230 (WITHOUT THE "B") so I bought them. It was only yesterday that I realized they were B's. I complained to Nokia and they said that the US version of the 6230 is a "B" model and the Euro version (sold only in Europe) is the "no B" model and even if I wanted that they do not sell it.

Am I screwed with two useless phones now??? Are the UHI's totally useless with the "B's"

Sweet brother, tell me there is a way out of this....

I should have just bought the bloody Sony Ericsons....
I have to take issue with this... it is clearly marked on the box, where the barcode is, that these are 6230B models. You don't need to open the box to see that!

Now, Nokia is changing what they say? First it was "they are identical" and now it is "one is Euro version and one is US version"? Those two statements sound contradictory, not to mention that they BOTH are incorrect (the second statement is an oversimplification, as has been stated here on the forums, I am pretty sure!).

Bottom line (again):

UHI DOES NOT WORK WITH 6230B

If you ask more questions... I will be forced to write it again.

p.s. if you read what I wrote last response, I said that T-mobile has gone the way of Cingular and now sells phones LIKE (emphasis now added) the 6230B and T637. I was hoping you would infer that they are starting with the 800MHz band instead of 900MHz.

-s-

Last edited by scorchie; 12-23-2004 at 05:06 PM.
Old 12-23-2004, 05:14 PM

Two new Nokia 6230B phones for sale. Full disclosure they will not work with UHI kits.

Scorchie, thanks for your patience. I guess I should have gotten the SEs. As for the Nokia story - I am only quoting what they said. I spoke to them three different times today and they keep on changing their story. I will go back to my retailer within the next 15 minutes and try to change these phones.

Wish me luck gentlemen,
Old 12-23-2004, 05:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Two new Nokia 6230B phones for sale. Full disclosure they will not work with UHI kits.

Scorchie, thanks for your patience. I guess I should have gotten the SEs. As for the Nokia story - I am only quoting what they said. I spoke to them three different times today and they keep on changing their story. I will go back to my retailer within the next 15 minutes and try to change these phones.

Wish me luck gentlemen,
I wish you luck!

I knew you were just quoting Nokia... I was pointing out that what they say is contradictory. Just to mention, both the 6230 and the 6230B have different FCC IDs. This means to me... the FCC thinks they are different models, and Nokia certified both of them to be sold in the USA.

Hopefully your retailer will be similar to a Cingular or AT&T store, where you can return merchandise within 30 days (in most cases). It's an honest reason to need to return the devices.

-s-
Old 12-24-2004, 09:22 AM

Latest Update

The latest update...

Went back to the retail store and told them that they gave me a 6230B and not the 6230 I ordered (I specifically told them when I bought the phone in that I wanted a 6230). Therefore I told them the bandwidth on the 6230B was made for cingular and not T-mobile and therefore "does not work in my car". Obviously that was a bunch of crap since I knew bought models will work for cingular and T-mobile but I didn't care to expound on the UHI-car related explanation.

The guy looked at the phone and surprisingly apologized profusely and said he made a mistake. I honestly don't think it was any fault of his (more than it was mine) not to have checked the phone model. So he said that he was going to order the right one and took the two boxes back. Scorchie you are correct in saying the box states 6230BNOK but only the really fine print. All the other bolder print (and I mean where all the serial number are located) states Nokia 6230.

It was an fairly easy 5-minute transaction helped by the fact that the phones still had the plastics covers on all the lenses and that I still had all the original packaging and I had only bought them 11 days ago. I will keep my fingers crossed that Nokia USA is wrong in telling me that they do not sell the 6230 and only the 6230B.

We will see....

Thanks scorchie and sunman.
Old 12-24-2004, 11:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

www.mobilebee.com is an example of an online retailed (with a store in NYC) who sells both the 6230 and 6230B. I haven't purchased anything from that place, so I can't comment on anything other than both items are listed as in stock on their website.

-s-
Old 12-30-2004, 09:25 AM

Final update,

Went back to the shop last night and finally got two new sealed boxes of the Nokia 6230. This time I checked not only the boxes but the phone internals as well and looked for anything that resembled a "B" or a "b". Having found none I got the two phones and left.

Scorchie, sunman, thanks for all your opinions. All is good in the world once again.

Steve, when is your next trip to the east coast and how much is the latest price for a Nokia UHI 6230 kit. Last time you were here we were not able to install it because of some missing items in your inventory. Send me a PM or an email to let me know...
Old 12-30-2004, 12:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Final update,

Went back to the shop last night and finally got two new sealed boxes of the Nokia 6230. This time I checked not only the boxes but the phone internals as well and looked for anything that resembled a "B" or a "b". Having found none I got the two phones and left.

Scorchie, sunman, thanks for all your opinions. All is good in the world once again.

Steve, when is your next trip to the east coast and how much is the latest price for a Nokia UHI 6230 kit. Last time you were here we were not able to install it because of some missing items in your inventory. Send me a PM or an email to let me know...
The plot thickens... now on your 6230, enter on the keypad: *#0000# and check the software version (and that it is indeed RH-12). The phone has to be a certain version (4.14 I think) to be supported.

-s-
Old 12-30-2004, 01:24 PM

Unhappy

Originally Posted by scorchie
The plot thickens... and that it is indeed RH-12 ... The phone has to be a certain version (4.14 I think) to be supported.

-s-
Scorchie, this is what is written on my phone:

V. 04.44
21-09-04
RH-12
GSM P1.1
(c) NMP

It is indeed the RH-12 but not the 4.14 (you think) version. If it is wrong then I am starting to feel that you are not my friend since you did not tell me this beforehand.... and even if you did, I do not think the phone retailer would have the capability to actually find him this specific a model. He would have just outright said NO and sent me along.

Furthermore and unfortunately, I cannot change these phones anymore if they are the wrong version still. The retailer will kick me out of his store if I request something as detailed as this. He had to special order this 6230 (without the B) and it took him a few days and this dealer is already located in New York's chinatown and the have the best sources of cell phones in the tri-boro area.

Let me know....
Old 12-31-2004, 11:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Scorchie, this is what is written on my phone:

V. 04.44
21-09-04
RH-12
GSM P1.1
(c) NMP

It is indeed the RH-12 but not the 4.14 (you think) version. If it is wrong then I am starting to feel that you are not my friend since you did not tell me this beforehand.... and even if you did, I do not think the phone retailer would have the capability to actually find him this specific a model. He would have just outright said NO and sent me along.

Furthermore and unfortunately, I cannot change these phones anymore if they are the wrong version still. The retailer will kick me out of his store if I request something as detailed as this. He had to special order this 6230 (without the B) and it took him a few days and this dealer is already located in New York's chinatown and the have the best sources of cell phones in the tri-boro area.

Let me know....

Although it doesn't say on the cradle, I believe it means you need to have AT LEAST that version software (and it might have been 4.28, I can't remember and I can't look at one right now). So I think you're OK. You've got REALLY NEW software, newer than anyone I've seen... so you should be HAPPY!

And even if you didn't have new enough software, it's a simple enough procedure to send your phone to Nokia to have it updated.

-s-