Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

simplest aftermarket phone intergration?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 03:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04' C230K Sport
simplest aftermarket phone intergration?

Hey guys,

So I have been going in circles looking up scorchie and steves UHI setup and its too expensive for me. Ive looked into the Mik Box also...

Please tell me what the best easiest solution would be to just have a, (any phone I can buy), work through my w203's hands free system? I dont care if it looks nice I remember seeing a wire plugged into that ethernet port looking port in the arm rest and the other end of the wire plugged into the phone.. Thats all I want.. Well besides it working through the system well.

I currently have cingular as my carrier and I have the Motorola v220 phone, Ill probably buy a new phone for this application. THanks guys!

Old 12-29-2004, 03:38 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
Originally Posted by rbardo
Please tell me what the best easiest solution would be to just have a, (any phone I can buy), work through my w203's hands free system?
you cannot use ANY phone...you can only use the phones for which MB has supporting hardware...
By just plugging something into the empty connector in the armrest you do not get integrated phone features...you need to plug a control unit into the wiring in the trunk in order to interface between the actual phone and the car's audio system...and those control units/intercafes are not "cheap".

If you want to go cheap AND fully integrated you will have to get an old (TDMA/CDMA) MB phone with kit of Ebay...

greetingz,
Old 12-29-2004, 03:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04' C230K Sport
thanks for reply

ahh, I see , that damn kit in the trunk!

well what about something that works with an fm modulator or something and will mute my stereo, then i can just get a phone and cradle with bluetooth and get a blue tooth headset..??

Old 12-29-2004, 10:29 AM

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts
Chevrolet Chevette, Ford Pinto, Pontiac Aztek, Trabant, Yugo GV (and all the worst cars ever built)
Originally Posted by rbardo
Hey guys,
So I have been going in circles looking up scorchie and steves UHI setup and its too expensive for me. Ive looked into the Mik Box also...
Hi Ribardo,

I too grappled with that issue for a while specifically because my car isn't that new and putting a $900 plus UHI system in my car with a market value of only $12,000 does not seem to be a wise decision. (Especially if we compare cars yours being a much newer car.) However, after a lot of soul searching, meditation, and yoga (including numerous accupuncture sessions) I believe that the cost of a UHI integrated phone kit will see its justification when and if I sell the car (perhaps three years from now). By being able to offer the new owner a complete seamlessly integrated and fully functional modern navigation, phone, CD audio (with ipod), system in a rather older model mercedes, it might just fetch me a couple of hundred dollars more in selling price.

In the meantime, I can use all those doodads for the next three years and the driving experience I get from having a trouble free seamless system will be "priceless".

Right now, my (yours too) options for other kits (on ebay as Steve conveniently mentioned) are not that cheap anyway and getting those will only save me (and you too) you a couple of hundred dollars over the scorchie / Steve kits.

(Now if only steve can tell me when he will be in the east coast again, I can make some plans to start skipping lunch and putting my lunch money in my piggy bank... for the UHI phone kit.)