Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Dension Ice>Link Plus (Mercedes Ipod Integration) Install and Review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2005, 10:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
It's a different problem than I thought

Upon further investigation, my iPod is properly going into the Dension menu; and all of the features are accessible on the iPod, including setup and additional playlists, by using the >| and |< buttons, and the select knob of the COMAND unit.

Problem is, the menu only appears on the iPod screen, which in my installation is extraordinarily difficult to see. The information from the Dension menu is not displayed on the COMAND screen or instrument cluster. In fact, those two screens continued to display information from Playlist 3 (which I had selected before entering the Dension menu) while I was playing Playlist 14. This is most unsatisfactory.

In the short term I will probably fashion a bracket that will allow me to lay the iPod at an angle near the front of the center console well; but trying to view the iPod screen while driving is a very bad idea. Will try to contact Dension to see what they say.

Last edited by Skylaw; 01-02-2005 at 10:42 AM.
Old 01-02-2005, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
I don't believe the Denison menu will appear on COMAND, only on the Ipod. That is how mine works as well. Ditto on the playlist being on something other than "6" when in the menu mode. Also, do you experience slight muting when using the Forward/Reverse to change menu items ? The good part about the menu is that once you have your options set you rarely will have to go in there other than to maybe play with the Scan or album play. Also, I found that the 2V Audio Level matches the COMAND level source the best at matching the line output sound volume.

I still need to play with the COMAND Scan/Repeat/Etc. to see if they fully integrate with the Ice>Link. Hopefully ID3 text info will be sent in a future firmware, however, this is largely attributed to COMAND. If COMAND can't display the info in that mode I doubt we will see that functionality.

I will keep in mind about the channels under the carpet when I peel mine back. Thanks for the info !
Old 01-02-2005, 07:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks again, awiner; I did try "scan" on the COMAND and it worked (I don't recall specifically whether I was in the iPod UI or the Dension UI). Didn't try the rest of the features.
Old 01-03-2005, 02:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by awiner
On Monday I need to visit some industrial electronic stores and see if I can find a 3 pin connector that will interface with the factory 3 pin power that goes into the CD changer. My thought is that I want to keep all vehicle wiring stock and unmodified. I may have to slightly modify the connector to make it work, but I do not want to modify the vehicle side plug not cut into it.

Here is what the factory 3 pin power connector looks like:
Adam,

I may have a few ideas in which you can use. I'm waiting on a couple of calls to confirm in the meantime.

As for any other members on the forum with questions pertaining to the ice>Link feel free to ask.
Old 01-03-2005, 02:49 PM

I don't believe the Denison menu will appear on COMAND, only on the Ipod. That is how mine works as well. Ditto on the playlist being on something other than "6" when in the menu mode. Also, do you experience slight muting when using the Forward/Reverse to change menu items ? The good part about the menu is that once you have your options set you rarely will have to go in there other than to maybe play with the Scan or album play. Also, I found that the 2V Audio Level matches the COMAND level source the best at matching the line output sound volume.

I still need to play with the COMAND Scan/Repeat/Etc. to see if they fully integrate with the Ice>Link. Hopefully ID3 text info will be sent in a future firmware, however, this is largely attributed to COMAND. If COMAND can't display the info in that mode I doubt we will see that functionality.
While this is possible - it will not be easy. This already has been successful with the BMW's iBus [not the new iDrive/Logic 7 systems], but we will not call it "impossible" on the d2b systems until more information is released on the system.

The ice>Link system will always be improving - this is only the first version.
Old 01-03-2005, 03:58 PM
Super Moderator

2003 CL55 AMG
Originally Posted by tom@densionusa
Adam,

I may have a few ideas in which you can use. I'm waiting on a couple of calls to confirm in the meantime.

As for any other members on the forum with questions pertaining to the ice>Link feel free to ask.
I got some 2 pin connectors at the dealer today. My plan is to use two 2 pin connectors with the stock MQS ends to keep the factory power/gnd/control wire from needing to be cut.

Please keep me updated if you find out another solution on your end.
Old 01-03-2005, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator

2003 CL55 AMG
While this is possible - it will not be easy. This already has been successful with the BMW's iBus [not the new iDrive/Logic 7 systems], but we will not call it "impossible" on the d2b systems until more information is released on the system.

The ice>Link system will always be improving - this is only the first version.
Glad to hear that. Having ID3 text sent to COMAND would rock as well !!
Old 01-03-2005, 05:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
my C class has the changer in the glove box. What type of mount do you offer for this car? It is D2b based and has the 3 pin changer connector in the glove box.
Old 01-03-2005, 06:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Glove Box Mount

Sunman,

You could probably use the type of cradle mount I used (shown earlier in this string), if you plan to use a G3 or G3 iPod. You may want to use nuts & bolts to install the cradle mount, rather than screws - but the mount could go on the left side of the glove box.
Old 01-03-2005, 07:02 PM
Super Moderator

2003 CL55 AMG
Sunil, I beleive these mounts would work good for you in conjunction with the dock. These mounts require no drilling/screws so there will not be any destruction of factory parts:

Mercedes Benz C-Class (01-04) Angled mount:

http://densionusa.com/merchant/merch...de=IA_Mercedes

or

Mercedes Benz C-Class (01-04) Left mount:

http://densionusa.com/merchant/merch...de=IA_Mercedes

Dension also has some console mounts but there is no picture of them yet.
Old 01-03-2005, 09:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

iPod Menus on COMAND

Awiner, Dension sent me this about 10 minutes ago:

"Sorry, but since the Comand radio only recognizes iceLink as a CD-Changer type device it does not display any menu option. There will be a new product "screen>Link" soon that will use the LCD screen to display information, however many cars disable the "TV" input while driving, so I am not sure how this will work in real life."

I know that TV (or DVD) can be programmed to activate while driving in the newer COMAND units. Can it be done for data input in COMAND 2.5?
Old 01-03-2005, 11:30 PM
Super Moderator

2003 CL55 AMG
Originally Posted by Skylaw

"Sorry, but since the Comand radio only recognizes iceLink as a CD-Changer type device it does not display any menu option. There will be a new product "screen>Link" soon that will use the LCD screen to display information, however many cars disable the "TV" input while driving, so I am not sure how this will work in real life."

I know that TV (or DVD) can be programmed to activate while driving in the newer COMAND units. Can it be done for data input in COMAND 2.5?
You would need the Euro COMAND and Euro TV Tuner in order to even display that on COMAND.
Old 01-04-2005, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by Skylaw

We will be displaying the Screen Link and ice>Link for MBZ MOST [newer Mercedes-Benz] protocols at CES in Vegas this week and MacWorld next week.

As for disabling the lock on TV when the vehicle is in motion - I'm sure it can be done, but at a huge liability. Just be careful when driving.
Old 01-04-2005, 12:03 AM

Dension also has some console mounts but there is no picture of them yet.
The Pro Clips are manfactured by Pro Clip, they can be found directly on their site at www.proclipusa.com.
Old 01-04-2005, 12:07 AM

Skylaw, you shouldn't have any problems due to not removing batter power. Dension recommends that because you are splicing or at least unpluging and replugin into a 12v live power line. They have to recommend that to cover themselves from potential problems.
This step is not only a safety issue - but forces the d2b system to reinitialize the system to detect presence of the ice>Link [or other accessories, as we are emulating the MBZ CD Changer].
Old 01-04-2005, 12:11 AM

2005 C55
ICELINK for MOST??

Tom-
Did I hear (or read) correctly. Denison will have an Ice-Link for the 05 MOST based Comand? I have an 05 C55 with COMAND, and am very interested in something like that.
Old 01-04-2005, 01:48 AM
Super Moderator

2003 CL55 AMG
This step is not only a safety issue - but forces the d2b system to reinitialize the system to detect presence of the ice>Link [or other accessories, as we are emulating the MBZ CD Changer].

You could just as easy re-init the d2b bus via the debug mode in COMAND. MUTE+1+3 -> Diagnosis -> System Reset
Attached Thumbnails Dension Ice&gt;Link Plus (Mercedes Ipod Integration) Install and Review-comand-diag.jpg  
Old 01-04-2005, 01:48 AM
Super Moderator

2003 CL55 AMG
Originally Posted by nealpatel
Tom-
Did I hear (or read) correctly. Denison will have an Ice-Link for the 05 MOST based Comand? I have an 05 C55 with COMAND, and am very interested in something like that.

Yes, Ice>Link for MOST bus is forthcoming.
Old 01-04-2005, 01:49 AM
Super Moderator

2003 CL55 AMG
We will be displaying the Screen Link and ice>Link for MBZ MOST [newer Mercedes-Benz] protocols at CES in Vegas this week and MacWorld next week.
Tom, is Screen>Link just a means to port the Ipod's screen info to a separate screen ? If so, can you comment on the hookups yet ? RCA output ?
Old 01-04-2005, 01:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
tom, please check your PM's. Still waiting for your phone call.
Old 01-04-2005, 05:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You could just as easy re-init the d2b bus via the debug mode in COMAND. MUTE+1+3 -> Diagnosis -> System Reset
That's exactly what I did when trying to get the info from the iPod screen displayed on COMAND, awiner. My system started up without doing that, but it is good information.
Old 01-04-2005, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by nealpatel
Tom-
I have a working prototype here on our workbench - it is slated for release in early spring.
Old 01-04-2005, 01:14 PM

Tom, is Screen>Link just a means to port the Ipod's screen info to a separate screen ? If so, can you comment on the hookups yet ? RCA output ?
Due to our NDAs w/ Apple - I can comment very little on the Screen Link at this time. I will release more information as it is available.
Old 01-04-2005, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator

2003 CL55 AMG
Due to our NDAs w/ Apple - I can comment very little on the Screen Link at this time. I will release more information as it is available.
Understandable.. I will look forward to more info when you are able to release it.
Old 01-04-2005, 04:35 PM

2006 E90 325i
As far as installation process, where would be a logical and safe place to get the installation done in the way that you guys did with the center console mount, or possibly routing the wiring from the dash for the angle or console mounts from pro-clip? I'm a novice at car electronics and the release of this has just further influenced me into getting a w203 ASAP and making sure this is my first modification. I would assume the dealerships could possibly do this and charge quite a bit but with something already so expensive, without the risk of damaging anything in the car, it would be money well spent. I am in the bay area so if someone has any reccomendations as to where a good place to install it would be most appreciated, or if you think the dealerships would install it and inspire some awe to get mercedes to possibly start making there own integration in the next generation of cars. Again, great installs guys, and the people over at Dension are nothing short of amazing when it comes to these things. Hats off, and good luck with everyone else with there installs. Now I'm off to find a c240! Thanks

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Dension Ice>Link Plus (Mercedes Ipod Integration) Install and Review