Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

Alpine S634 CD Changer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 07:54 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 C43
Alpine S634 CD Changer

Hello, I recently purchased a slightly used Alpine S634 cd changer with the mp3 function for my 98 C43. I have it installed but it skips alot especially when i play the volume loud. The mp3 function isnt very good either the tracks sometimes dont start, and they skip alot. I playing brand new cds, no scratches on them and im not going over large bumps.

I have a stock radio and have 2 adapters connecting the changer one is the alpine ai-net to mbus adapter and the other is the mercedes adapter.

Has anyone ever had this happen to them? What would cause all this skipping? Could it be the stock radio not reading the changer or one of the adapters or the changer itself? The thing that throws me off is that this mostly happens when i turn up the volume? Does anyone have any advice for me? thanks
Old 01-25-2005, 08:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
I am not familiar with your changer, but I once had an Alpine unit installed with a shock damper switch set improperly, resulting in problems similar to yours. The switch was set for a horizontal installation, and the changer was mounted vertically. Even a good bass note could cause it to skip. Just flipping the switch (on the changer) to the opposite position solved the problem.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:09 PM
Almost a Member!

98 C43
where is the shock damper switch?
Old 01-25-2005, 10:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
For your MP3 issues, make sure you are using a "smart" Mercedes adapter. I tried an CHA-S634 with just the "cable adapter" and although it worked, I had problems when switching tracks and fast forwarding. After switching to a more expensive "smart" adapter it worked great.

Also make sure your disc is closed (can't add to it). If you just close the session, that will sometimes cause problems as well.

-s-
Old 01-27-2005, 11:15 PM
Almost a Member!

98 C43
Where do you find the smart mercedes adapter?
Old 02-08-2005, 04:17 PM
Almost a Member!

98 C43
Does anyone have any advice for me regarding this problem, thanks
Old 02-09-2005, 08:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
Originally Posted by AMGRebel
where is the shock damper switch?
Where do you find the smart mercedes adapter?
Does anyone have any advice for me regarding this problem, thanks
AMGRebel

Regarding a shock damper switch (which describes a function, not necessarily what Alpine calls the switch), have you looked on your CD changer? It only has six sides. Have you tried to find an operator's manual or an installation manual on Alpine's website? First thing I said was I was not familiar with your changer. I had one (in fact, two, both in Audis) by the same manufacturer, dealer-installed, with the same problem (except the mp3), and same solution. Beyond that, I can't help.

Regarding the Mercedes smart adapter, Scorchie pointed you to a possible solution. Have you checked with whomever installed your changer, or wherever you bought the other interfaces? What feedback have you given to him concerning his suggestion? Do you know how much time he spends trying to help people with solutions? (Hint: take a look at the number of his posts) Do you have any appreciation for his level of expertise? (read some of his posts). Did you just blow him off, or did you try anything that could help him shed some light on YOUR problem, that you could share?

The people who contribute to this forum can help those who do just a bit to help themselves. Your responses don't show much effort in that regard.