Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

In process of MY01 update

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2005, 11:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E320 CDI.SOLD..'02 CLK430 Cabrio(SOLD),08 Disco3..1996 FLH-TP, 2017 E300
In process of MY01 update

Clk430 2002........ Euro Comand (from SteveNL)

Just installed Comand the other day ( BTW...very happy with it). So having nothing to do this morning, I am trying to update the firmware on the comand with the MY01 s/w found on the GeoCities site.

Burned the image onto a good Phillips CD-R....all files seem fine.
Fired up Comand w/ * & # and ON button.
Unit asked for Update CD.
Screen shows present firmware 1999
New firmware is 2001
Pressed r/h knob to Start Head Unit
Screen then shows that s/w is downloading.....BUT THEN....

The screen goes BLANK. IS this normal??

I freaked the first time, tried to eject CD...but unit didn't respond...unplugged power as per "miroj" instructions and unit powered up and worked as before.

I'm tried this again but this time am waiting 45-60 mins after the screen blanks to see if it works.

Sooooo....should the down loading screen remain on....OR....is it normal for the screen to go blank???

Thanks.....John
Old 02-11-2005, 11:47 AM

Follow up

Waited over an hour.....Checked the comand...no activity....Tried to eject CD and as the first time...the cd shuttle makes as though it's going to eject the CD, but then the Unit "locks up".

Unplugged power 20 secs, then unit powers up and seems to operate perfectly.

So I'm not sure if it's the CD (I'll try burning a Sony CDR this time), or I have bad s/w.

I'm following the directions found in many threads on this forum and on the BenzWorld forum.

Old 02-12-2005, 07:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 MOPF 2008
Welcome to the Comand twilight zone!
It seems you too have one of the units with the bad booloader.
There is no way to upgrade this using the MY01 CD.

Check this board and you will see this is a well known problem, still looking for a solution.

Other ideas?
The TB28F800 image perhaps?
Old 02-12-2005, 10:22 AM

Thanks

Thanks Amerissa for steering me in the right direction...I just purchased this unit from SteveNL recently, is this an issue that could be addressed under the warranty? The unit works well otherwise...it's the geek in me that wants it up to date.

I'll start reading up on boot loader problem and about TB28F800 image you mentioned.

Thanks again, John
Old 02-12-2005, 12:01 PM

Question NEW question on Comand w/ bad bootloader

I couldn't find any info on this subject on this forum or at BenzWorld. , after Googleing I found someone with the same problem on the UK forum and the same issue discussed on some German sites.

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/showt...oto=nextoldest

Sooooo...now my question is....

Is it repairable by me?? (It seems not to be).
Is it worth it to ask SteveNL for a replacement? (It's still under warranty).

I realize the update does not do much, but as I wrote earlier the geek in me would like to be able to update the firmware. (In case of future updates).

Input appreciated.....John
Old 02-13-2005, 02:39 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
Originally Posted by captret
Is it repairable by me?? (It seems not to be).
Is it worth it to ask SteveNL for a replacement? (It's still under warranty).
NO...and YES...

greetingz,
Old 02-13-2005, 04:29 AM
Banned

Clk430 2002........ Euro Comand (from SteveNL)

Just installed Comand the other day ( BTW...very happy with it). So having nothing to do this morning, I am trying to update the firmware on the comand with the MY01 s/w found on the GeoCities site.

Burned the image onto a good Phillips CD-R....all files seem fine.
Fired up Comand w/ * & # and ON button.
Unit asked for Update CD.
Screen shows present firmware 1999
New firmware is 2001
Pressed r/h knob to Start Head Unit
Screen then shows that s/w is downloading.....BUT THEN....

The screen goes BLANK. IS this normal??

I freaked the first time, tried to eject CD...but unit didn't respond...unplugged power as per "miroj" instructions and unit powered up and worked as before.

I'm tried this again but this time am waiting 45-60 mins after the screen blanks to see if it works.

Sooooo....should the down loading screen remain on....OR....is it normal for the screen to go blank???

Thanks.....John
If you get instructions from me then it should be from current conversations. Not from past conversation stored in the archive. I did not tell you to unplug anything.

How do you know that Phillips are correct ? Is it Gold media since silver wont work properly.
Old 02-13-2005, 10:54 AM

Mia Culpa

Originally Posted by miroj
If you get instructions from me then it should be from current conversations. Not from past conversation stored in the archive. I did not tell you to unplug anything.

How do you know that Phillips are correct ? Is it Gold media since silver wont work properly.
Miro, First, let me thank you again for your input both here and through emails. I respect your opinion.

As for your questions posted in this thread....I usually get chastised for NOT reading through the archives (your post on OEM Instructions for the Comand MY01 update, is one of the best). I learned a lot from it.

Second, by "unplug" ....I meant I pulled the fuse (as also stated in the post). Mia Culpa

Third and last.....In my second post, I mentioned that I WAS going to burn the s/w onto a Sony "Gold" disk...(which I did).

I was just trying to get as much info I could before bothering Steve with this trivial matter.
Old 02-13-2005, 11:09 AM

Thumbs up Steve comes through as usual

Originally Posted by MBenzNL
NO...and YES...

greetingz,

For everyones info.....SteveNL being the genuine person he is....Had offered to exchange the unit for me, when I had originally asked him through an email. (I wasn't able to get to my mailbox).

My purpose in this thread was to see if I was performing the update correctly, and if people thought the update was worth going to the trouble in exchanging the Comand.

Again, thanks to all for their input.
Old 02-13-2005, 04:54 PM
Banned

For everyones info.....SteveNL being the genuine person he is....Had offered to exchange the unit for me, when I had originally asked him through an email. (I wasn't able to get to my mailbox).

My purpose in this thread was to see if I was performing the update correctly, and if people thought the update was worth going to the trouble in exchanging the Comand.

Again, thanks to all for their input.
So you wasted time on several technical emails for the purpose of getting Steve to exchange the unit for you. I wouldnt call that mastering the technology ..... would you ?

I can think of something that fits better than geek.
Old 02-13-2005, 08:37 PM

Question What??

So you wasted time on several technical emails for the purpose of getting Steve to exchange the unit for you. I wouldnt call that mastering the technology ..... would you ?

I can think of something that fits better than geek.

Miro....

With all due respect.....I really can't comprehend your attitude. I've explained myself in this post and in emails to you personally. I was trying to gather as much info on this subject to avoid having to ask Steve for an exchange.

So Miro, I'll continue to respect your expertise when it comes to Comands but, I am a little disappointed with your personality..... there's no need to resort to name calling when trying to make a point, it just cheapens your argument. I'll chalk it up to you having a bad day.

I apologize if I've wasted anyone's time...and again, KUDOS to Amerissa for steering me in the right direction.

Sincerely, John

Last edited by captret; 02-13-2005 at 08:52 PM.
Old 02-13-2005, 09:00 PM
Banned

Miro....

With all due respect.....I really can't comprehend your attitude. I've explained myself in this post and in emails to you personally. I was trying to gather as much info on this subject to avoid having to ask Steve for an exchange.

So Miro, I'll continue to respect your expertise when it comes to Comands but, I am a little disappointed with your personality..... there's no need to resort to name calling when trying to make a point, it just cheapens your argument. I'll chalk it up to you having a bad day.

I apologize if I've wasted anyone's time...and again, KUDOS to Amerissa for steering me in the right direction.

Sincerely, John
There are many people with many genuine tecnical needs. I dont consider your building an argument for warranty exchange as some kind of useful interaction. Steve is an honest operator and would have done as you required without this hunt and gather.

I honestly dont have any illusion that you ever intended to remedy the bootloader or accept the unit - instead you were acting like a sissy trying to find the courage to talk to Steve. None of this was needed since Steve is more than willing to help at all times.

My personality is thus ..... dont ask people to provide you with information you dont want to use.

I have had a very happy communication with many members and assisted with some of the Sunman projects. So there is a precedent for useful communication.
Old 02-13-2005, 09:43 PM

There are many people with many genuine tecnical needs. I dont consider your building an argument for warranty exchange as some kind of useful interaction. Steve is an honest operator and would have done as you required without this hunt and gather.

I honestly dont have any illusion that you ever intended to remedy the bootloader or accept the unit - instead you were acting like a sissy trying to find the courage to talk to Steve. None of this was needed since Steve is more than willing to help at all times.

My personality is thus ..... dont ask people to provide you with information you dont want to use.

I have had a very happy communication with many members and assisted with some of the Sunman projects. So there is a precedent for useful communication.
Miro....Again you make my point, with your name calling. You don't know me or know anything about my integrity. SO GIVE IT UP!!

I've personally written Steve and apologized, luckily I only have to deal with him and not you.

(Sissy????..... Come on you can do better that that).
Old 02-13-2005, 09:55 PM

Miro....Again you make my point, with your name calling. You don't know me or know anything about my integrity. SO GIVE IT UP!!

I've personally written Steve and apologized, luckily I only have to deal with him and not you.

Miro...On second thought....I GIVE UP!!

Good night from the U.S.
Old 02-14-2005, 01:49 AM
Banned

I think you can do better.