Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

05 iPod integration retrofit for D2B?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 02:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 SL55
05 iPod integration retrofit for D2B?

Ok, this question is directed to Adam and/or Dean, because I think you guys are the authority on this matter. So I’ve been doing some research on the new iPod integration for the 05 models, and I think Dean mentioned that it was only for the instrument custer and will not be supported by the COMMAND. If this is true would it be possible to retrofit the iPod interface to a D2B bus? From the looks of things I don't think Dension will ever be able to support ID3 display.

I finally broke down and purchased an iPod Photo today (my first iPod). Apple announced an upgrade to their iPod lines so they are discontinuing the 40gb models and replacing it with the 30gb iPod photo. What is stupid is that they are pricing the 30gb iPod Photo for $349, while buy.com is selling the 40gb iPod Photo for $339. And they are the exact same thing. So if anyone is interested in an iPod I suggest you purchase the 40gb before they run out.

On a different note, Adam, i'm looking for an accountant and I want to ride in your CL55. I recently purchased a club in Hollywood, you should stop by.
Old 02-24-2005, 04:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
I don't think an upgrade for cars with D2B will be feasible. Possible, yes, just not financially viable.

The reason is that the MOST-based cars have a different CANBUS protocol. It differs from the CANBUS protocol used by the D2B cars. Well, not for all functions, but for many. And most of these functions are related to the operation of the COMAND. This is because of the different protocols used on MOST vs. D2B... to keep processing down, most of these messages are passed through the Audio Gateway and Central Gateway unchanged.

Because of this difference in CANBUS protocols, there is a difference in instrument clusters. On some cars, the same instrument cluster can be programmed... I think only the W220/215. But others, the instrument clusters are different and don't have configurable parameters for these CANBUS protocols (other ones, yes, but not these). Even still, with a proper instrument cluster... a newer CANBUS protocol will be used, and that means a whole bunch of new parts: MOST-based head unit, and therefore AGW, CD changer, amplifier, TeleAid, voice control, phone, etc.

This is, of course, conjecture until we actually see some of these interfaces. But based on what I've learned about CANBUS, instrument clusters, MOST and D2B conversions in the past couple weeks (we're on the verge of showing a project that is pretty wild), my guess is that it will be LOTS of work to do. If you have a C240 without Bose or TeleAid... it's a lot cheaper.

Incidentally, the MOST specification has no command for "seek to next preset station", and that's why it can't be done from the steering wheel controls on cars with MOST-based head units. There's no message that the instrument cluster can generate and pass on to the tuner.

-s-

Last edited by scorchie; 02-24-2005 at 04:18 AM.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Paul, shoot me a PM and we can talk. As for Apples move in discontinuing the 40GB photo for a 30GB, I don't get it. They must have something in store eventually.
Old 02-27-2005, 04:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i535
I believe 30Gb photo much thinner 40Gb photo. As we know size matter.
Old 02-27-2005, 04:32 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
991.1 gt3, w204 c63 507
i would suggest the icruze.. but i have no idea what the status on that is. supposedly integrates with your command or stereo and your status cluster.

http://monstercable.com/iCruze/default.asp

check it out
Old 02-28-2005, 07:00 PM

'05 E500 4-Matic Wagon
I could be wrong, but I don't believe the 40GB is an iPod Photo. Just a standard iPod. iPod Photo was only available as a 60GB model. Now Apple added a 30GB model. Apple discontinued the 40GB standard iPod.
Old 02-28-2005, 09:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by HotWheels500
I could be wrong, but I don't believe the 40GB is an iPod Photo. Just a standard iPod. iPod Photo was only available as a 60GB model. Now Apple added a 30GB model. Apple discontinued the 40GB standard iPod.
M9282 is the now-discontinued 40GB iPod photo. Apple discontinued all standard iPods except one.

-s-
Old 02-28-2005, 11:10 PM

2005 SL55
Wow, Dean seems to know everything! From Mercedes to iPods!
Old 02-28-2005, 11:15 PM

2005 SL55
It seems like the iCruze is only for 94-98 models. I knew I should have gotten the 2005. But I don't know if everything that's included in the 05 was worth an additional $8k.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:18 PM

2005 SL55
Hey Dean, is there any way that the new MP3 CD changes will work on a D2B bus? That would be a great iPod replacement.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by xaveon
Hey Dean, is there any way that the new MP3 CD changes will work on a D2B bus? That would be a great iPod replacement.
There's NO WAY that the new MP3 CD changers will work on D2B... it's too bad too.

For $8K ... a 2005 might have been worth it. We're targeting $8K for D2B to MOST conversions in some cars, and obviously only people with the high end are going to be interested... oops, did I say something I shouldn't have said yet...

-s-
Old 03-01-2005, 03:40 AM

2005 SL55
At the time I couldn't justify the $8k difference that the dealer was giving me to get an 04. $8k under invoice I mean. It just sucks! All I really care about is being able to play mp3s in my car. That would make it perfect becuase i'd have free maintenance (no more free maintenance for the 05s) and be able to play mp3s! I really don't care about the rest of the upgrades. And I would get to save $8k! Well, guess I just have to hope that Denson finds a way to put ID3 tags on the COMMAND.
Old 03-01-2005, 07:07 AM

'05 E500 4-Matic Wagon
Originally Posted by scorchie
M9282 is the now-discontinued 40GB iPod photo. Apple discontinued all standard iPods except one.

-s-
Right you are scorchie, my error. That $339 looks pretty good. The first iPhotos were sold in 40GB ($499) and 60GB ($599).
Old 01-13-2006, 01:11 AM
Almost a Member!

2003 c240 wagon
Could this be the D2B solution for the iPod (or MP3 player)

http://www.eiskits.com/aux%20input.html

This looks more promising than anything I've seen in awhile, but I'm gonna have to see it "for sale" before I get too excited.

These guys supposedly make a D2B bluetooth phone connector that seems to expand on the Mikbox functionality.

Last edited by AK*S203*owner; 01-13-2006 at 01:14 AM.
Old 01-13-2006, 03:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by scorchie
I don't think an upgrade for cars with D2B will be feasible. Possible, yes, just not financially viable.

The reason is that the MOST-based cars have a different CANBUS protocol. It differs from the CANBUS protocol used by the D2B cars. Well, not for all functions, but for many. And most of these functions are related to the operation of the COMAND. This is because of the different protocols used on MOST vs. D2B... to keep processing down, most of these messages are passed through the Audio Gateway and Central Gateway unchanged.

Because of this difference in CANBUS protocols, there is a difference in instrument clusters. On some cars, the same instrument cluster can be programmed... I think only the W220/215. But others, the instrument clusters are different and don't have configurable parameters for these CANBUS protocols (other ones, yes, but not these). Even still, with a proper instrument cluster... a newer CANBUS protocol will be used, and that means a whole bunch of new parts: MOST-based head unit, and therefore AGW, CD changer, amplifier, TeleAid, voice control, phone, etc.

This is, of course, conjecture until we actually see some of these interfaces. But based on what I've learned about CANBUS, instrument clusters, MOST and D2B conversions in the past couple weeks (we're on the verge of showing a project that is pretty wild), my guess is that it will be LOTS of work to do. If you have a C240 without Bose or TeleAid... it's a lot cheaper.

Incidentally, the MOST specification has no command for "seek to next preset station", and that's why it can't be done from the steering wheel controls on cars with MOST-based head units. There's no message that the instrument cluster can generate and pass on to the tuner.

-s-

The iPOD kit on MOST is possible because the instrument cluster has graphic routines which may be requested by a device on CAN. This graphic displays functions according to the request.

The pre-2005 (C-class) old school cluster have no idea how to display this request. To do so would need VDO / Siemens patch upgrade which is not directly known or available at this moment. The work being postulated involves a can to can conversion which is not impossible but largely untested concept.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL
You'll get a chuckle out of this

From CNN Money, Jaunary 12, 2006:

The caption under the photo said "Mercedes-Benz was one of the first automakers to offer iPod integration."
Attached Thumbnails 05 iPod integration retrofit for D2B?-mercedes_ipod_storyb2-1.jpg