Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

CD Cartridge Sensor?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 SL 500
Question CD Cartridge Sensor?

Does anyone know what, or how, the stock MB CD changer senses whether the cartridge is inserted. And if so, whether it contains CDs?

Having an intermitten problem with this, and trying to pin down whether its the cartridge or changer unit. Dealer has ordered both for replacement, but looks like it may take awhile.
SL is an '01

S
Old 03-02-2005, 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
There's a switch in the CD changer that when the cartridge is inserted, it trips the switch. Not that unusual, used by about 99.9% of the CD changers on the market.

The changer determines if CDs are in the cartridge by loading each tray and trying to read the CD. This is only done when the cartridge is first inserted, or when power has been removed from the changer and reapplied. Otherwise the changer realizes no cartridge change has occurred and preserves the previous state.

-s-
Old 03-02-2005, 03:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 SL 500
Thank you

Originally Posted by scorchie
There's a switch in the CD changer that when the cartridge is inserted, it trips the switch. Not that unusual, used by about 99.9% of the CD changers on the market.

The changer determines if CDs are in the cartridge by loading each tray and trying to read the CD. This is only done when the cartridge is first inserted, or when power has been removed from the changer and reapplied. Otherwise the changer realizes no cartridge change has occurred and preserves the previous state.

-s-
Can you tell me where the switch is? Contact or proximity? It acts like the switch is not sure if the cart is in or not. I bought a couple aftermarket cartridges that are clear instead of black, but as it doesn't do it all the time, not sure if something is tied to using a non-=black cart. Dealer can't pin down delivery of my new changer so thought I'd poke into this one.

S