Notices
Audio & Electronics Use this forum to discuss audio and electronic upgrades for your Mercedes-Benz.

SIRIUS Satellite Radio Factory Installations Available For MB 2005 Model Years

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 03:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C230K Coupe & 2005 C230 SS
SIRIUS Satellite Radio Factory Installations Available For MB 2005 Model Years

SIRIUS Satellite Radio Factory Installations Available For Mercedes-Benz 2005 Model Year Vehicles

SIRIUS System and 14 Months of SIRIUS Service Included for $699

NEW YORK and MONTVALE, NJ - November 17, 2004 - Mercedes-Benz USA and SIRIUS, the premium satellite radio provider known for delivering the most compelling commercial-free music and sports programming to cars and homes across the country, today announced the availability of SIRIUS as a factory-installed option on select 2005 model-year Mercedes-Benz vehicles. Mercedes-Benz factory installs SIRIUS systems at its three port processing facilities in the United States, and expects to broaden this factory availability of SIRIUS to nearly all 2005 models over the next 90 days

The manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP) of the SIRIUS feature is $699, and includes 14 months of SIRIUS service. The SIRIUS Satellite Radio option being offered by Mercedes-Benz is specifically engineered for their vehicles, and is fully integrated into the Mercedes-Benz audio system. This allows the Mercedes-Benz customer to enjoy digital sound and to view content information, such as song title, artist name, and sports scores on the head-unit display.

Mercedes-Benz drivers can enjoy 65 channels of digital-quality, commercial-free music; the entire NFL game lineup; a comprehensive selection of college sports; and an unmatched variety of comedy, local traffic, weather, news and entertainment programming.
I have ordered a European delivery C230 (pick-up April 11 ) with satellite radio as an option and therefore I assume this will be a factory option. This according to the above article means that it will not be installed at the factory but at the Jacksonville processing facility in my case (go figure - I assume factory installation just means that it is installed before it gets to the dealership).

I have searched and read numerous posts on this issue and to be honest they have left me rather confused (doesn't take a lot ). So my questions are:

Has anyone had a factory installed sat radio?
Are they still mounting via a hole in the trunk lid?
How big really is the antenna (a picture would be nice)?
Has anyone had it painted at the dealership (my car will be mars red and therefore the metallic paint is not an issue)?

I know that a lot of people are using the SIR-SAF and SIR-MINI with a splitter, or having the MB antenna moved to a less obvious position on or below the rear deck, but those are all installs at the dealer after the car has arrived there.

Any advice from anyone who has gone through the factory install process for satellite radio would be much appreciated.
Old 02-27-2005, 04:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Debadged 6-Speed '05 C320 Sports Coupe
Why not just remove this as a factory option and make it a dealer option? That way the small antenna could be installed in a hidden location.

All the pictures I've seen are of a large, hideous, block. Plus that looks like the decreased aerodynamics will cost a coupla mpg.
Old 02-27-2005, 04:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by wingless
Why not just remove this as a factory option and make it a dealer option?
$20 installation makes this an attractive option: $699 vs. $679 + installation

-s-
Old 03-01-2005, 04:06 AM

2005 SL55
I believe Mercedes stopped installing ugly obtrusive satellite antenna for 05s.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:51 PM

2006 E350
Seems to me I read somewhere that E-350 still uses the hockey-puck on the trunk for Sirius, other models have it elsewhere, depending on whether or not there is a composite surface area for mounting or hiding the antenna, as opposed to a metallic surface. I've ordered a 350 with Sirius so I am keenly interested in any new developments. Anyone have definitive info on this?
Thanks.
Old 03-02-2005, 03:57 AM

I talked to my dealer (MB of Orlando) yesterday and he said at the dealership they have two options, on the trunk or in front of the GPS antenna on the roof. He said he would call European Delivery and find out what options are available at the port of entry VPC. If it is only the trunk installation, he said that they would modify the order to do the satellite radio installation except the antenna at the VPC and do that at the dealership. We will see if the VPC manages to follow the instructions of the dealership.

I will let you know what I find out.
Old 03-02-2005, 04:11 AM

2006 E350
Thanks Mike--
A tech at my local dealership said they were quite reluctant to place antenna anywhere except where factory recommended placement. They have had some less than impressive results with other installations. On one hand, I can kind of accept this; on the other hand, I think the antenna was "over-engineered" with zero concern for aesthetics. I do have substantial electronic engineering experience.

I have a friend with a Beamer and a Mercedes who throws his XM antenna on the shelf behind the back seat of either car and plugs his receiver into his cigarette lighter and takes off on long trips. He uses the FM modulation technique to get the signal into his car radio. Loves it.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:00 AM

I sent an enquiry to mbusa and received this response:

Thank you for your recent internet inquiry.

The antenna for the Satellite Radio is still mounted on the trunk but it is
now smaller and will be body color. Since you ordered the SIRIUS Satellite
Radio with the vehicle, the unit will be installed at the Vehicle
Preparation Center (VPC.)

If we can be of any further assistance, please feel free to e-mail us again
or call us at
1-800-FOR-MERCedes (1-800-367-6372).

Sincerely,

Mark Sluscavage
Consumer Promotions
Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC

No indication of just how much smaller it is though!!
Old 03-02-2005, 04:04 PM

2006 E350
Thanks again, Mike. I think I can live with a hole in the trunk lid with a smaller antenna. I could have "rolled my own" by using a completely portable sat. rcvr. sys. commonly available in the market, but I want a solution that is incorporated into the Comand front-end as much as possible-- with no wires laying about. From an Engineering viewpoint, I can see a couple of reasons why Mercedes would want to put the antenna back there.

I was also gratifed to see that you appear to have received a quick response to your direct inquiry to Mercedes. I haven't done that before, fearing that my questions would become lost in the mist of corporate cyberspace.