Audio/Video Forum to discuss audio and video, both mobile and home.

Any use with old head units and amps?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c240
Any use with old head units and amps?

I have a couple of mobile audio equipments that I was told were pretty good quality, at least about 10 years ago. The head unit and amp were acting up so I bought new ones, and now I'm wondering if these old equipments have any value in them, or are they just junk/e-waste?

1. Sony CDX C8850, 45x4 output, has 2 remotes (one of them is mountable to the steering wheel column I believe). The player has trouble reading new CD's (supposedly some old CD players have this problem?), and some times it makes static noises when playing CD's. Also it seems to only like CD-R's that were burned at slower speed and with specific character set.

2. Sony XM-7557 mobile ES 5 channel amp, one of the channels I believe doesn't work anymore and needed to be bridged.

Your input is very much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 07-12-2011, 04:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C Class
i like these old amps and units, just got an old receiver from a friend to use it for my games - now i got battlestar galactica online and age of empires with great sound! these hifi parts don't break even after 15 years. but i guess they are not worth much unless you know someone who can make any use of them.