Automotive Leasing & Financing Discuss the leasing and financing of your Mercedes-Benz.

Mercedes Extended Warranty - non refundable?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 10:20 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320 2003
Mercedes Extended Warranty - non refundable?

Hello,

We recently traded in our 2003 E320, less than 48 months old, so the extende warranty had not kicked in yet. I contactd our dealer, Barrier Motors of Bellevue, WA and they said they would not refund any portion of our $3,500 extended warranty. Does anyone have any suggestion on how to obtain a refund as clearly the warranty was not used.

Thanks.
-Tom
Old 11-20-2006, 10:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 305 Likes on 224 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
I just got a check for $1,300 from my dealer for the unused portion of a Starmark warranty on a car that they sold me, which I traded in (at a different dealership). I don't know why an unused extended new car warranty would be any different. Did you talk to the finance department? They're who had the paperwork for my Starmark refund.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E550 4MATIC
I'm afraid you are probably stuck. I think in the extended warranty booklet it says that only in a few states it is refundable, and even then only within 90 days or something like. Sorry, next time you should try to sell it privately, you would have a much better chance selling the car privately when you have a manufactuer's backed warranty.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by whoover
I just got a check for $1,300 from my dealer for the unused portion of a Starmark warranty on a car that they sold me, which I traded in (at a different dealership). I don't know why an unused extended new car warranty would be any different. Did you talk to the finance department? They're who had the paperwork for my Starmark refund.
Looks like I was typing my response as you were. If this is true, I'm really interested...it might make me trade in my car for and E350 if I know I can get back that warranty cost. What state do you live in and how long ago did you get the extended Starmark warranty?
Old 11-20-2006, 11:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 305 Likes on 224 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by pmb600
Looks like I was typing my response as you were. If this is true, I'm really interested...it might make me trade in my car for and E350 if I know I can get back that warranty cost. What state do you live in and how long ago did you get the extended Starmark warranty?
I'm in California and I got the Starmark about 2 1/2 years ago. There was a little more than a year left on the warranty.
Old 11-21-2006, 01:36 PM
Almost a Member!

E320 2003
Thanks for the replies, I'll remember Starmark next time rather than what Mercedes themselves are selling.

I spoke to the finance department and they said the wouldn't refund, my only chance was 60 days after the initial purchase. I live in Washington state, not sure how I find out if that works into getting a refund?

I don't recall if there was an exception on trade-ins? If not, would the dealer that took the trade-in have any interest or incentive at all in purchasing the extended agreement from me to sell with the car?
Old 11-23-2006, 03:55 AM
Almost a Member!

Refund on extended warranty

If it was a Mercedes Benz extended warranty you should be able to get some of your money back. In 2001, I leased a CL500 through my corporation and I had planned to buy the vehicle at lease end. In keeping with that thought and not knowing any better, I bought a Mercedes extended warranty for about $1800. Due to a change in circumstances, I returned the vehicle after about 14 months into the 36 month lease to Hoehn Motors in Carlsbad. Due to the continued high demand for the vehicle, I had to pay only about $1800 for the early lease termination (off the point). Since I had not yet used any of the extended Mercedes warranty, I had the dealer submit the paperwork and I received about $1600 back directly from Mercedes. If your warranty is a Mercedes Benz Financial extended warranty, I do believe you should be able to recoup at least some of your money. At the very least, contact MB Financial directly or Hoehn Motors in Carlsbad, CA to get the real scoop. It sounds like your dealership is not very motivated to help you out.

Next time, do not buy the extended warranty at the time you buy the new vehicle. I had been under the impression that was the best and perhaps only time you could. It turns out that you can purchase the extended warranty anytime until about 1 month or 1000 miles prior to the end of your regular warranty. The product is also highly marked up and some dealers carry on a significant side business in selling extended warranties to customers from anywhere in the country. For example, I live in San Diego and I bought a 2007Toyota Camry for my mother. The selling dealer wanted $1430 for the Toyota warranty, and I got the identical Toyota Platinum warranty from Midwest Superstores in Wtchita, Kansas for $525! I don't know any Mercedes dealers that do this, I bet they are out there. If anyone knows, please post.