Automotive Leasing & Financing Discuss the leasing and financing of your Mercedes-Benz.

Extended Warranty with Lease? Now, Later, Never?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2019, 04:53 PM

Received 125 Likes on 92 Posts
2020 MB E450 Estate, 2019 Kia Niro Touring
Extended Warranty with Lease? Now, Later, Never?

I've custom ordered an E450 wagon which I will get probably early December, but I want to have all my ducks in a row prior to that time. While, if the car is good to me, my intent is to keep it (relatively) forever, I intend to lease it, so that in case I see problems, I can get out of it at that time. If I DO keep it for say 7-10 years, I will certainly want an extended warranty to cover possible/probable repairs & problems. But if I DON'T keep it, and have paid for the warranty up-front, I will have lost most to all of the money I paid for the warranty. I intend to lease for 36 to 48 months.

I understand from the forums here that I can get an extended warranty quite a bit cheaper (maybe 40% off?) by buying from dealers who have advertised or been discussed here. I also think I understand that I can buy the extended warranty any time before the original warranty runs out, although it costs more, and dealer profit on it is less, so the discount from the online dealer will probably amount to a lot less, or may not be available.

Also, is extended warranty, if purchased with the car, paid for separately, upfront, or is it amortized (and therefore reduced) by the lease?

I'd appreciate any ideas or suggestions from you based on your experience and experiences.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:10 PM

Received 125 Likes on 92 Posts
2020 MB E450 Estate, 2019 Kia Niro Touring
I contacted Cassandra who has been recommended for extended warranties: For my upcoming E450 Wagon, ELW cost is $2,200 for 7 years/75k miles, which fits me fine. She also answered some of my questions above: I can buy the warranty upfront from her at the same time as the car, so I don't get involved in future increases in the cost of it, and if I return the car after the lease, or just change my mind, I get 100% of the cost paid refunded, as long as I ask for it before the standard 4/50 warranty is over. So, that certainly makes the most sense.