B-Class (W245) Discuss the new B-Class MPV: B200 Turbo, B200 CDI, B180 CDI, B150, B170, B200

Will B-Class ever come to US??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 04:56 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW328i
Will B-Class ever come to US??

During a recent trip to France, see some very cool cars not sold here in US including the B Class. The B class is very well propotioned and better looking than the R class. It's a shame that MB USA not offering B class in US.
Old 01-05-2007, 04:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 208 Likes on 199 Posts
2003 C230K Coupe Orion Blue
B-classes are available here in Canada. Always possible to buy one and import it southward

ps they don't drive that well, especially compared to a C.
Old 01-07-2007, 12:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

89 300TE, and 68 280sel
You "can't" import them, apparently there is a clause you sign in a contract in CA that says you won't sell it to us Americans. MBZ likes to screw us on our options down here. For being one of their bigger single markets, it amazes me how few options we have here.
Old 01-07-2007, 07:25 AM

W209 CLK
Originally Posted by slammer111
B-classes are available here in Canada. Always possible to buy one and import it southward

ps they don't drive that well, especially compared to a C.

No they don't, but the turbo charged 2.0L can haul *** for a little car. It feels too small inside it too. Trust me you guys in the US aren't missing much.
Old 01-13-2007, 01:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 GLK 4Matic Steel Gray
I live in NJ, and i have seen a B-class parked in front of Barnes and Noble (bookstore) for the better part of a day. I kept an eye on it to see who drove away with it but missed him/her. I took a peek at it, it was debadged, but had Florida manufacturer plates. The rear window had a sticker on it that said "werkwagen". I did some research and found out that MB does indeed want to sell the B-class here, but import costs would be too high and made worse by such a weak dollar compared to the euro. If the dollar improves, we may see a B class in all showrooms. From what i saw, it was about the size of a vibe/matrix but a bit taller and nicer looking. Wierd thing is that in a parking lot filled with cars, i didnt see one person give it a second look...
Old 02-24-2007, 04:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
b-class sucks. I see them all the time in Hongcouver...err vancouver.
Old 05-04-2007, 11:16 AM

SLK
I live in southern Calif. and I bought a B200 turbo last year from a BC dealer. Quick, smooth and fun to drive.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

89 300TE, and 68 280sel
Originally Posted by Kar don
So true

Say, as far as the B-class in CA, does MBUSA service or perform warranty work?
Old 05-14-2007, 04:26 PM

SLK
Any dealer here in the US can work on them.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by CA-B200
Any dealer here in the US can work on them.
I live in S. Cali too. Which dealer did you buy your car from? How much did you pay in total?
Old 05-21-2007, 06:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB is considering bringing the B to the US. My cousin is actually working on a possible marketing campaign for the US introduction. This is not to say that they will introduce it, but that they are considering it. Personally, I found the B to be disappointing, especially when compared to a C class Touring (station wagon). The C will far outperform and deliver a much better driving experience without compromising cargo capacity.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:20 PM

SLK
Originally Posted by princesscathryn
I live in S. Cali too. Which dealer did you buy your car from? How much did you pay in total?
A bit over 35K
Old 05-21-2007, 03:28 PM

SLK
Originally Posted by Untertürkheim
MB is considering bringing the B to the US. My cousin is actually working on a possible marketing campaign for the US introduction. This is not to say that they will introduce it, but that they are considering it. Personally, I found the B to be disappointing, especially when compared to a C class Touring (station wagon). The C will far outperform and deliver a much better driving experience without compromising cargo capacity.
The B and C are two different cars altogether. I did not want a sedan (of any make) as I don't like the seating position, I prefer to sit up a little higher. This car fit the bill in more ways than one.

I do hope that they bring in the B and the CDI would really be great for someone like my husband who drive 25-30k miles a year.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:57 PM

W211 & Q7
below $26,000 in the United States in 2011

Mercedes considers bringing B class to U.S.

By DIANA T. KURYLKO | AUTOMOTIVE NEWS

AutoWeek | Updated: 05/21/07, 12:18 pm et

MONTVALE, N.J. -- Mercedes-Benz may bring the B-class small car to the United States, as well as an SUV smaller than the M class.

With rising fuel prices and a move toward smaller passenger cars in the United States, the next-generation B class may have potential here, Ernst Lieb, CEO of Mercedes-Benz USA, said here in an interview with Automotive News.

But a decision isn't likely soon because Mercedes will focus on the next-generation C class debuting in August for the next several years, Lieb said.

If Mercedes were to sell the B class here, it would be the next-generation model due in 2011. Bringing in a vehicle that's midway through its life cycle would make little sense, Lieb said.

Lieb said the key would be determining whether potential Mercedes buyers are truly interested in a Mercedes smaller than the C class.

"Today when I talk to customers, I really wonder if they are ready for a small car," he said. "Younger customers who have been in Europe and driven the car as a rental car are very open to it. The more traditional Mercedes customer is a little hesitant."

Three years ago, Mercedes-Benz axed plans to bring the B class to the United States because of unfavorable currency exchange rates. It would have gone on sale in fall 2006 as the new entry car for Mercedes-Benz in the United States.

Mercedes-Benz wanted to price the B class below $26,000 in the United States. The current compact B class is 168.1 inches long, about 10 inches shorter than the C-class sedan.

Lieb said Mercedes also has looked at the small SUV segment, but no decision has been made on whether that kind of vehicle is suitable for the United States.

"We see that success depends on your price position," he said. "If you are not capable of coming in with a real competitive price, you will not be successful. You need a certain number to make it work."
Old 06-02-2007, 03:53 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
16 GLE400, 16 eGolf, 15 M3, 13 328i, 06 S430, 98 E320
I saw a b-class at my local mb dealership yesterday indicating that it is going thru testing in Death Valley. The car appears to be US spec since everything is in mph. Now i am pretty sure that the B-class will come to the US and probably sooner than 2011.
Old 06-02-2007, 03:57 PM

SLK
Which dealership? We want to get another one...maybe we should wait a little while.
Old 06-08-2007, 02:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally Posted by chixdiggit
No they don't, but the turbo charged 2.0L can haul *** for a little car. It feels too small inside it too. Trust me you guys in the US aren't missing much.
190HP from a turbo'd 2 liter is lame. The smaller, supercharged 1.8 makes the same power. If MB brings this over, it would be best with a diesel. As a high mileage alternative to a small suv or wagon, it might have some appeal.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 E320 CDi, 2008 3/4 Ton Suburban, 2007 "rice rickshaw" Accord 5 speed
wait longer & common sense will return

Originally Posted by CA-B200
Which dealership? We want to get another one...maybe we should wait a little while.
We have the B in Canada. We also have the Smart diesel. You are not missing much in the USA. It does not sell well at all.

The B class is a German designed (I do not know if it is even produced in Germany) Toyota Echo wannabe. The interior is not well finished and the car is transverse engine front wheel drive.

The base engine is anemic. The turbo is optional. There is no diesel option. For the same price you can buy a Japanese car superior in virtually every way (Honda Accord, Honda Element, Toyota Camry).

MBUSA is not importing the B for a very good reason. Image or lack of it.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

peace brother

Originally Posted by Kar don
Are you referring to the Chinese in Vancouver? They do buy a lot of MB.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:24 PM

B 200 2006 & Audi A6 2000
Originally Posted by harkgar
We have the B in Canada. We also have the Smart diesel. You are not missing much in the USA. It does not sell well at all.

The B class is a German designed (I do not know if it is even produced in Germany) Toyota Echo wannabe. The interior is not well finished and the car is transverse engine front wheel drive.

The base engine is anemic. The turbo is optional. There is no diesel option. For the same price you can buy a Japanese car superior in virtually every way (Honda Accord, Honda Element, Toyota Camry).

MBUSA is not importing the B for a very good reason. Image or lack of it.
I loooovvvee my B200. Honda accord, a great car but the bikes and gear don't fit upright as in the B. Honda Element great but lacks styling points, and you'd have to be a basket ball player to load the roof. Camry, I kept one for 23 Montreal winters and it was the best ever and I do miss it but the bikes and gear didn't fit well. The B does it all with safety and style, something that wasn't available with the Camry. I hope to keep the B for that long also.Time will tell! Cheers, Derek

Last edited by Derek L; 08-06-2007 at 12:29 PM.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

peace brother to you too

Originally Posted by Derek L
I loooovvvee my B200. Honda accord, a great car but the bikes and gear don't fit upright as in the B. Honda Element great but lacks styling points, and you'd have to be a basket ball player to load the roof. Camry, I kept one for 23 Montreal winters and it was the best ever and I do miss it but the bikes and gear didn't fit well. The B does it all with safety and style, something that wasn't available with the Camry. I hope to keep the B for that long also.Time will tell! Cheers, Derek
Horses for courses. I cannot argue with you on that one. I just think that the B is over-priced.

By the way do you know the Canadian government is planning to scrap the 15year old limit for secondhand cars into Canada? Previously all passenger cars of that age and older can be imported into Canada from the USA and now they are proposing to increase that limit to 25 year old cars. This effectively will kill off all imports from south of the border.

I can smell the dealership lobbyists in this one.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:25 PM

everything and anything
The only way you will see a B-class in the USA is thru diplomatic orders. Diplomats are allowed to bring in pretty much any car they want. The interesting part most of them don't take the car back with them instead they sell it here
Old 08-18-2007, 12:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 smart cabrio; 2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200
I'm ordering a B 200 tomorrow. Sure, it's not a great handling car, but I don't need that. Been there, done that, with other cars. The volume is immense inside and it's a comfortable touring car. Good enough for me.
Old 09-02-2007, 03:35 PM

C200TCDI Sports Edition
Originally Posted by Outland
190HP from a turbo'd 2 liter is lame. The smaller, supercharged 1.8 makes the same power. If MB brings this over, it would be best with a diesel. As a high mileage alternative to a small suv or wagon, it might have some appeal.
Its only a few hp down on the Golf GTi which it competes against in Europe, this is a Golf sized car, that's its market, nothing more nothing less. There is supposed to be an AMG version on the way as well.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:41 PM

SLK
Originally Posted by marc32
The only way you will see a B-class in the USA is thru diplomatic orders. Diplomats are allowed to bring in pretty much any car they want. The interesting part most of them don't take the car back with them instead they sell it here
Any one can bring a B class into the US. If I can bring one into California then all the other states should be easy.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Will B-Class ever come to US??