B200 (2012) overprotective computer?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2021, 11:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B200
Unhappy B200 (2012) overprotective computer?

We have a B200 (2012) and A200 (2013) in the family: presumably almost identical inside.

One recurring problem on both vehicles, and it drives us nuts, is that a faulty ABS sensor disables the whole car. I've had my B200 towed on two occasions with the message "without changing gear, consult workshop" - i'd like to know how Mercedes proposes I do that on [P]! On another occasion the vehicle worked for a while, albeit dashboard all lit in red, power steering disabled. Knowing the garage simply replaces the ABS sensors and performs a reset infuriates me; especially after paying for a tow truck.

Back in the day we learned to drive without ABS; we were taught to pump the breaks. Some cars didn't even have power steering. Is Mercedes being overprotective? Is it just my model? By all means indicate a fault and i'll get it fixed, but I don't appreciate my car as a nanny. Disable ABS for all I care; but at least let me drive to the garage myself. And what has it got to do with power steering?

Contemplating a Mercedes upgrade, but curious if newer models are like this? Computerised assistance is great, but I don't like being told what I can't do if it's not life threatening. Back when cars were purely mechanical, you'd shift in gear and there's no software to stop you. Are those days long gone - or were we just unlucky with these two vehicles?

Last edited by tparker; 05-31-2021 at 11:52 AM.