Flamenco Red Interior

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 07:27 AM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
C204 C250-CDI
G'Day all, excellent and interesting responses on personal choice reasons cross shopping these 3 main German rivals

I too am thoroughly looking at these 3.

I've always been a fan of certain (but not all) Audi and BMW models.

Never really liked many of the MB's until this new C Class Coupe babY came along recently and swept me away

It is true as my mechanic cousin will testify to that both Audi and BMW seem to have more than their fair share of problems compared to MB.

However there was a major problem with the new blue efficiency diesel engines injectors and fuel filters late 2009 till late 2010 - that seems to now have been taken care of.

My comparisons of the A5, 3 series Coupe and MB C Class Coupe are all about the diesels.

I'm not even going to consider the 325i or any other BMW or Audi or MB petrol model, because it's not the same thing in the end.

To that end, BMW and Audi don't really have a 'proper' competitor to the C250 CDI.

If BMW had the 325d model here in Australia, mechanically, performance and efficiency wise, it would represent a serious competitor to the C250 CDI. although the interior and features of the Merc simply can't be matched by either any BMW or Audi in this class.

The entry level BMW 320d really is a povo pack compared to the C250 CDI and it's in the same price bracket, (ie. here in Aust.) so for mine why would I ever pick it over the C250 CDI

The Audi A5 I don't really like much, the exterior is bulbous looking, the interior is a let down not only to its competitors but also to many other Audi models, some of the recently updated items like the headlights are a nice touch, but I still prefer the face of either the current E92 3 series and of course the C Class with the AMG pack.

AFAIK the W205 C Class (or next model) will arrive sometime in 2013 and I assume the coupe and other variants will follow thereafter, so the life span of this newly released C Class Coupe may not be all that long, but that dosn't worry me at all, it's at the tail end of its model run so it has the benefit of all the latest developments, features etc. for that particular model, the updated interior for eg. is IMHO miles better than the pre updated C Class interior.

The best variants of any model car are always released at the tail end of that models life cycle.

For mine, it's the perfect car in just about every respect and exactly what I'm looking for in a daily driver, overall size of the vehicle is very important to me and this car nails it for me, it's beautiful and it's compact, but not too small the new model will most probably be better, but it'll also grow in size which won't suit my requirements.

Less of them around also equals greater exclusivity which I know is something all car enthsiasts like the idea of
Old 10-20-2011, 07:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VW Golf MKVI 118TSI and C250 CDI Coupe (on order)
I'm guessing the next coupe should still be a good 2 or 3 years away given the sedan will come first? It would be jeopardizing sales if they didn't make full use of this model.

Any of you thought of adding the Brabus PowerXtra to enhance performance?
Old 10-20-2011, 07:45 AM

AV1, agree with you on the previous MBs as they all looked overly conservative. Believe it or not we were actually contemplating a fully optioned VW Passat v6 before seeing the coupe on a magazine. Have to say the new Passat appealed only because of it's 5.5 sec 0-100 spec, interior/exterior was never a match.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:59 PM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

C204 C250-CDI
Originally Posted by DL250
I'm guessing the next coupe should still be a good 2 or 3 years away given the sedan will come first? It would be jeopardizing sales if they didn't make full use of this model.

Any of you thought of adding the Brabus PowerXtra to enhance performance?
That time frame above seems to what will happen, variants released at the tail end of model runs is just the way it goes, if it's a successful model it'll sell well regardless of how long or short the production period lasts

I am actually very familair with tuning on forced inducted cars, but TBH I'm not really fussed about adding to the C250 CDI in this repsect because IMHO it's a very decent power/performance package as is, especially in my case where it'll be a daily driver.

The package you state above is a conservative power/torque boost compared to alot of other diesel tuning enhancement offereings for the twin turbo 2.1 in the 250 CDI rated at 173kw / 560nm and puts the C Class at 0-100km/h in 6.8sec which is very decent acceleration from standstill for a diesel, remember diesels do their best work on the run, so rolling acceleration would be awesome.

After I complete a thorough test drive I'll be able to review where the car's at and see if I want to 'tinker' with it or not.

I'm more interested in a few exterior visual mods to get it looking exactly the way I want, 1st. nicer wheels, 2nd. boot lip spoiler, 3rd fix up the not so good looking single exhaust outlet with a nice dual system so the symmetry of the rear end is complete.

AV1, agree with you on the previous MBs as they all looked overly conservative. Believe it or not we were actually contemplating a fully optioned VW Passat v6 before seeing the coupe on a magazine. Have to say the new Passat appealed only because of it's 5.5 sec 0-100 spec, interior/exterior was never a match.
Nothing wrong with looking at all desirable candidates, there's so much choice out there for any specific price range, it does end up being a little too much and confusing LOL

Most new high power petrols will give execellent performance, but the economy can't match the diesels, I already have a turbo petrol car as my 'weekender' so the diesel will do me as the more efficient high km's daily driver
Old 10-20-2011, 08:56 PM

C250CDI Coupe
In the other cars category, the Peugeot RCZ was an interesting one, similar price range, more a TT competitor though. Big bucket of Meh for me though, once I took the MB for a spin i knew it had to be mine.

This will be my daily driver too with the idea i'll use it as a bit of a long distance holiday car too from time to time, the ride, economy and the service costs really put this luxury sports car into just right for me. 6.8 to 100km is vastly better than my golf so i'll be happy, shame no race start other than the AMG (can anyone confirm?) I'm on the assumption that the race start is the MB launch control. Though i'll want at least a 5 second car next time

This has turned out to be an interesting thread anyhow, funny how we all come to our conclusions.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:19 PM

Thinking of getting a dual exhaust too but depends on cost. Do you know if performance enhancements affect warranty?

Will be using the coupe as an everyday car too and most likely keeping the Golf as well since it's only 18 months old. Definitely going with a <6 second car next time, maybe the next gen Golf R or even better m3 or AMG if circumstances permit.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:05 PM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

C204 C250-CDI
Originally Posted by tharsis
In the other cars category, the Peugeot RCZ was an interesting one, similar price range, more a TT competitor though. Big bucket of Meh for me though, once I took the MB for a spin i knew it had to be mine.

This will be my daily driver too with the idea i'll use it as a bit of a long distance holiday car too from time to time, the ride, economy and the service costs really put this luxury sports car into just right for me. 6.8 to 100km is vastly better than my golf so i'll be happy, shame no race start other than the AMG (can anyone confirm?) I'm on the assumption that the race start is the MB launch control. Though i'll want at least a 5 second car next time

This has turned out to be an interesting thread anyhow, funny how we all come to our conclusions.
I'm with you on the RCZ and have been following t hat car since its inception and went to check it out after it was released here, but came to the conclusion that the current released models are not 'hard core' enough for my liking.

What it needs is a variant that can match up to the Audi TTS - that's one Audi I really love and almost pulled the trigger on one 3 years ago

Your planned usage above will be a very similar case for me, the 6.8sec time I listed above is actually for the Brabus power enhanced result, stock it's about 7.1sec which is IMHO still decent for diesel, most other oilers out there are around the 10sec mark to 100km/h.

The benefits listed are also for me a huge selling point for this car, the long service intervals are a revelation and certainly add to keeping running costs down.

I too like serious performance cars, but will leave that to my weekenders, a tamer daily driver is exactly what I want, because no matter how restraint one is, the urge is always there
Old 10-20-2011, 10:15 PM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

C204 C250-CDI
Thinking of getting a dual exhaust too but depends on cost. Do you know if performance enhancements affect warranty?

Will be using the coupe as an everyday car too and most likely keeping the Golf as well since it's only 18 months old. Definitely going with a <6 second car next time, maybe the next gen Golf R or even better m3 or AMG if circumstances permit.
Dual or quad exhaust tips would add so much appeal to the C250 variants, that's for sure.

If it's done right, it should also sound better whilst not being any louder or intrusive.

AFAIK performance enhancements of any type on any car void warranty, unless it is a factory fit or dealer specific fit, to which they provide specific warranty terms, in my case all the more reason to probably just leave it alone in that regard, it should hopefully stay more reliable too as for me this will be a long term ownership proposition, at least 6 years and possibly up to 8 before updating again

I think the Merc will do a better job than either a similar BMW or Audi over that time.

If a sub 6sec 0-100km/h vehicle is what you really desire DL250 then maybe try going for that

Certainly the C350 will deliver that sort of performance, but it cost 50% more and it consumes alot more fuel, which becomes a double whammy because your be filling up with premium petrol vs normal diesel.

There are other less expensive choices, all depends on what you really want and how your thoughts and budget relate to that choice
Old 10-21-2011, 10:31 PM

I'm quite sure about the MB for this time round (unless something extraordinary happens during the test drives, I will still give the a5 a go just to compare).
Wanted a sub 6 sec car for next time as I think it would be a nice combination to have that choice depending on mood lol.

Keep us updated on any progress AV1. And can't wait to see your photos in Jan tharsis!
Old 10-21-2011, 11:31 PM

C250CDI Coupe
I'm quite sure about the MB for this time round (unless something extraordinary happens during the test drives, I will still give the a5 a go just to compare).
Wanted a sub 6 sec car for next time as I think it would be a nice combination to have that choice depending on mood lol.

Keep us updated on any progress AV1. And can't wait to see your photos in Jan tharsis!
I'll give Audi one good thing though that I forgot, feels like you're "wearing" the car, a real piece of the whole, i do feel a little separated in the merc test drive.

As for Jan, can't come soon enough!
Old 10-22-2011, 09:27 AM

C
I had some requests for photos, so I uploaded full res interior shots here:
(some photos are still uploading)

https://picasaweb.google.com/1148741...eat=directlink
Old 10-23-2011, 06:26 PM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

C204 C250-CDI
I'll give Audi one good thing though that I forgot, feels like you're "wearing" the car, a real piece of the whole, i do feel a little separated in the merc test drive.

As for Jan, can't come soon enough!
I had the same impression after an extensive test drive of an Audi TTS several years ago and then the same feeling of 'detachemnt' after extensively test driving a BMW 135i a week later.

Despite that, the Audi was still my preference out of those 2, the purchase didn't eventuate anyway though.

What I've found with all the cars I've owned is that despite all things things, you eventually get used to them and they always end up feeling better than 1st impressions

Originally Posted by GuOD
I had some requests for photos, so I uploaded full res interior shots here:
(some photos are still uploading)

https://picasaweb.google.com/1148741...eat=directlink
Very Nice
Old 10-23-2011, 10:03 PM

I haven't test driven an audi so can't contribute on this topic but will definitely keep an open mind when I eventually do. Do drive BMWs regularly (X5 and 525i) and they seem 'detached' compared to my VW Golf (mk6).

GuoD, thanks for uploading the photos. Great car!
Old 10-23-2011, 10:21 PM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

C204 C250-CDI
I haven't test driven an audi so can't contribute on this topic but will definitely keep an open mind when I eventually do. Do drive BMWs regularly (X5 and 525i) and they seem 'detached' compared to my VW Golf (mk6).

GuoD, thanks for uploading the photos. Great car!
Makes sense DL250, BMW are infamous for making sure their sport line up deliver an engaging drive as opposed to their 'bread and butter' or 'people mover' ranges, hence the 135i I tested was quite a thrill to drive compared to a 320i I used to have.

I've only driven the Audi TTS and recent A4 sedan, the A4 sedan was quite boring compared to the TTS.

Interestingly I also test drove a Golf R last year and found that car to be detached and quite sublime in the way it covers ground, which was quite a surprise seeing that both the Golf R and TTS have exactly the same powertrain, the TTS was a much more 'fun' car to drive

Havn't driven a Gti so I can't note any comparisons.

It all depends on what one wants, I'd say you really can't go wrong with any of these cars, really hoping the C250 CDI delivers a rewarding enough experience when I try it out, I'm sure from all the reviews being so positive it won't be a let down, should hopefully be in the coming weeks
Old 10-24-2011, 04:40 AM

C250CDI Coupe
Car "feel' is such a personal and subjective thing it's also really damn hard to quantify. I did feel more an integral part of the car with the Audi i test drove as I mentioned but the MB was jaw dropping in it's own right. Really felt so amasingly well put together, really smooth, didn't float around like some luxury cars can. If you gave it the beans it responded, if you drove sedate it was there with you. More than anything it was a really nice place to sit & drive.

It was hard not to put a expleditve-eating grin on my face with the dealer sitting right next to me (and i already knew i hated this man).
AV I agree, for the most part test drives are like a chocolate box sampler, always great when you have 1 but sometimes you get sick if you stick around for a while.

With the golf I really felt like I was driving a grown up go-cart, really super responsive steering and change direction with little encouragement. If the MB leaves me with the same underlying feeling I had when I test drove it 3 years on then i can't ask for more!
Old 10-24-2011, 10:09 PM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

C204 C250-CDI
Car "feel' is such a personal and subjective thing it's also really damn hard to quantify. I did feel more an integral part of the car with the Audi i test drove as I mentioned but the MB was jaw dropping in it's own right. Really felt so amasingly well put together, really smooth, didn't float around like some luxury cars can. If you gave it the beans it responded, if you drove sedate it was there with you. More than anything it was a really nice place to sit & drive.

It was hard not to put a expleditve-eating grin on my face with the dealer sitting right next to me (and i already knew i hated this man).
AV I agree, for the most part test drives are like a chocolate box sampler, always great when you have 1 but sometimes you get sick if you stick around for a while.

With the golf I really felt like I was driving a grown up go-cart, really super responsive steering and change direction with little encouragement. If the MB leaves me with the same underlying feeling I had when I test drove it 3 years on then i can't ask for more!
LOL about the dealer sitting next to you, it's a bit like that all the time when purchasing a new car, ie. you can't show too much happiness or eagerness for the product or he'll feed on it at your expense

Really hanging now from other peoples accounts for my extensive test drive, have it booked for a couple of weeks time and hopefully it all turns out because I want to drive several variants back to back, so I'll need at least half a day there.

Looking forward to see if the change in direction and o/a handling of these new C Class coupes is as good as what people say, if so I'm sold on the NVH part of the equation, as there'll certainly be no complaint with ride quality and comfort

How's your sleepless nights and anticipation going ATM, I know what that's like when your waiting for such an exciting new toy to finally arrive
Old 10-25-2011, 05:13 AM

C250CDI Coupe
The first month was the worst, this forum has helped/hindered, depending on the day lol. I really want my first ever merc. The photos guod posted, especially the red seats, only got me salivating more so i'm pretty helpless at this stage, i think i ring the dealer every 2 weeks asking if there's been a change to my build date.

2 months 2 weeks to go!
Old 10-25-2011, 06:17 AM

It's great you'll have it around Christmas/New Year. Planned any road trips lol?
Old 10-25-2011, 06:31 AM

C250CDI Coupe
It's great you'll have it around Christmas/New Year. Planned any road trips lol?
Unfortunately wrong side of chrissy and the day i'm done with holidays lol! so i'll have to do a couple little trips on weekends etc, then get a big drive in on Australia day.... Family member has a holiday house down near phillip island, maybe get down there for a day or two...
Old 11-02-2011, 09:20 PM

AV1, tharsis, you guys planning on getting custom plates?
Would you say white or black euro plate style on palladium silver?
Old 11-02-2011, 09:58 PM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

C204 C250-CDI
AV1, tharsis, you guys planning on getting custom plates?
Would you say white or black euro plate style on palladium silver?
Hello again DL250

Actually I'm a huge fan of personalised plates and have been using them on all my cars since they were first released here in Australia.

I currently have 3 sets of Euro plates, 2 sets of 'normal' personalised plates and 1 set of signature plates, if I get the Merc it'll be wearing the signature plates and one of my other Euro plate sets will go onto my other car currently wearing the signature plates, unless of course the Euro plates look better instead on the Merc.

So yes I will have a set of custom plates on the Merc if I get it

On your vehicle if it's Euro plates you want, I'd actually choose silver background with black font Euro plates, should look fantastic on a grey/silver duco car, otherwise IMHO black would look better than white on palladium.

One of my Euro sets is silver/black combination and used on a silver car and they look great.

On another topic, how are you going with your deal on the car ?? I had my initial short duration test drive of a 250CDI on Tuesday this week, I'll be going back again for a more thorough test and doing back to back tests with a 250CGI and also a sedan 250CDI.

In short my initial impressions are favourable, but seeing it's my first experience with an oiler I'll have to learn to get used to the 'noise' of the thing if it's a CDI I decide on.

Last edited by AV1; 11-02-2011 at 10:02 PM.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:42 PM

I've never seen the silver euro plates on the road so didn't contemplate it as an option. I will however research into it now. Thanks for the tip!
Signature plates would look great on the car IMO.
So far we've just been to one dealer for a chat, no test drives yet though as we are hoping to do it closer to crunch time (beginning of next year). We'll also be testing the a5 then.
How does the car handle from your experience?
Old 11-03-2011, 12:18 AM

C250CDI Coupe
Didn't really think about the plates all that much tbh, looking at vplates, it really depends on if you want them to sink into the background or really pop vs your car.

If you want it to just look like part of the car go silver/white. if you want it to pop out black will do it for a silver car.

Silver is a foreground color just like white, black is background. White/silver don't stand out on each other very well so it's what you're going for. Personally they're just plates to me so i'm more let them fade into the silver lol, only time someone is reading them is if they're trying to book you.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:34 AM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

C204 C250-CDI
I've never seen the silver euro plates on the road so didn't contemplate it as an option. I will however research into it now. Thanks for the tip!
Signature plates would look great on the car IMO.
So far we've just been to one dealer for a chat, no test drives yet though as we are hoping to do it closer to crunch time (beginning of next year). We'll also be testing the a5 then.
How does the car handle from your experience?
If your considering silver background plates, just keep in mind that the silver plate background colour is different to the silver font colour, ie. the background is a more lighter/sub-dued kind of a silver whereas the font is proper silver.

In pics from the RTA it looks different to real life as well, if you want I'll PM you some pics of my plates and hopefully you can get a better idea from there

As for my initial test drive regarding the handling, it was very very good, however as said I didn't explore it enough to really get the full picture.

The ride quality both normal and sport mode was excellent, for eg. in sport mode it was still more compliant than my brand new Mazda SP25 sedan daily driver and that car rides very well to begin with.

Cornering (again from my brief test drive) was also excellent, next test drive we'll be taking it to some twisties

My only concern so far was the noise of the CDI, it was quite loud and intrusive when on the throttle from inside the car even with all the windows closed up, cruising along it was nice and quiet, power delivery on normal mode was actually a little sluggish, however on sport mode it transformed to very lively and acceleration was very good.

I will explore that part of it further too, test drive has been booked in for 3 weeks time if all goes to plan, I'll write up a review there after.

I'm also in no immediate rush either as I'm wanting a 2012 build vehicle with all options

Didn't really think about the plates all that much tbh, looking at vplates, it really depends on if you want them to sink into the background or really pop vs your car.

If you want it to just look like part of the car go silver/white. if you want it to pop out black will do it for a silver car.

Silver is a foreground color just like white, black is background. White/silver don't stand out on each other very well so it's what you're going for. Personally they're just plates to me so i'm more let them fade into the silver lol, only time someone is reading them is if they're trying to book you.
Each to their own with plates, for me it just finishes off the exterior of car nicely and if the plate relates to the owner it also adds that little bit of personal uniqueness as well
Old 11-03-2011, 06:43 AM

C250CDI Coupe
Couldn't agree more, another one of those subjective things, for me I don't notice them on other cars, i more look at color, lines and lights, others like smaller details like highly detailed rims and custom plates. All part of the fun of it really...

I'm interested in getting one of the small spoilers you see on the boot of some of the c class series, i don't think it comes with it standard.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Flamenco Red Interior