Intelligent Lighting Package Impressions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 04:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
Intelligent Lighting Package Impressions

I figured I would post my impressions about the Intelligent Lighting Package for prospective buyers / anyone who is interested. I think I am able to offer a great comparison too, as we have two c-coupes (one with the lighting package, and the other without) that I have had moderate driving time (day & night) behind both.

First things first - I am in LOVE with the lighting package! So glad I got it on my car... Here are a few reasons why - beyond the style aspect.

Before buying the package, I was unsure if this had "active curve illumination" - meaning, the headlights would turn with your steering wheel. This is because the pre-facelift w204 bi-xenon package didn't offer this. I am pleased to say that the 2012 package DOES have active curve illumination. Before having the lighting package I thought to myself that it is a rather useless feature, but after having driving time behind it, its AWESOME. Especially for highway ramps at night time.

Also to note, not only do the headlights turn with you (once you get above 5-10mph - not sure of the exact speed, but I know they don't move when you are stopped and turn the wheel), but when you turn the wheel to make a turn the cornering light (that is located between the LED accent in the housing, and the headlight lens) also lights up on the respective side that you are turning. This is the same light that activates when you turn on your turn signal. I thought this was a nice touch.

The turn signal LED's are NICE and BRIGHT! They mimic the S-class dual function DRL/turn signals, but unfortunately on the c-coupe, does not double as a DRL and only used as a turn signal. These suckers sure are bright. In fact, I KNOW people in front of me definitely know its on, sometimes I can tell that people get startled by it - especially at night time. So it definitely helps with safety and other people knowing you are changing lanes/turning.

Another aspect I value is the adaptive high-beam assist. At first, I just thought that if it was enabled in the options, it would automatically turn on or off the highbeams itself - like in my Escalade (which was kind of annoying/obnoxious). The system in the Escalade would turn it on when not needed, such as on well light residential street, blinding houses (very obnoxious, especially since I often come home late at night, and my house is at the end of the cul-de-sac - sometimes waking them up and blowing my sneak in).

However, in the c-class, the adaptive lighting package will only automatically turn on or off the high-beams if the turn signal stalk is pushed forward in the hi-beam position. It never blinds oncoming cars, and doesn't come on unnecessarily on streets that are light by lamposts (such as my block - a big plus in my book). Therefore, I drive around 24/7 with the turn signal stalk pushed forward (and like it better for using the turn signal in that location) and just let the system control it for me, very convenient.

Also to note, is that unlike my escalade where it will either just turn the highbeams full on or off. The system in the c-class coupe will individually and independently control the level of the each headlight. So if a car is coming in the oncoming lane, it will lower the driver side headlight (or whatever it does) so that it still shines my lane, but doesn't blind the oncoming car at all - One of the best features in my book! Especially since I do a lot of travel on dark, unlighted one lane (two direction) roads at night.

Now on to the comparison. I won't say that the non-lighting package, reflector housings look "ugly" but rather, just different. The style has grown on me and gives the car a different look/appearance. But I definitely have to say that I (and everyone I have polled) agrees that the lighting package looks better.

As far as performance, the non-lighting package does a sufficient job at lighting the road surface at night, but does leave many desiring more. I have absolutely no gripes/complaints about the lighting package though, you can't get much better, I even outshine other cars that have bi-xenons equipped, having their car cast a shadow on their own light beam, simply amazing.

During inclement weather though, is where you REALLY notice the difference. On the non-lighting package, it is very difficult to see in rain - especially at night. Sometimes I even wondered if the lights were on at all, and mainly fiddled with the high-beams most of the time. With the lighting package though, I ALWAYS clearly saw the road surface, and the system would automatically engage and disengage high-beams as needed.

Overall, the non-lighting package does a fine job, but does leave a bit to be desired (mainly performance in rain). I have absolutely NO griped with the lighting package performance, and wouldn't change a THING.

If you have the option, I would definitely get the lighting package, you certainly won't regret it. Especially if you are leasing, you only pay off the depreciated part of the package - in my case, 26% or $338, which equates to $14 per month extra on my 24 month lease, not including any discounts...

The only thing I have to say I would change would be an issue with the car itself, and is present whether you have the lighting package or not. I can't seem to figure out a way to turn off the lights at night without turning off the car. This is kind of annoying - the most I can figure out how to do is only have the parking lights on (or at the very least, just have the parking lights on one side of the vehicle on). This is pretty silly and something small to complain about. But I don't think it is unreasonable to ask for this! Perhaps I just haven't "figured it out yet". But I doubt it...

Please, feel free to share your likes/dislikes/experiences!
Old 01-12-2012, 04:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 c250 Coupe
Didn't know that you had to push the stalk forward to activate adaptive lighting. Thought that you just had to enable it in the options menu (was deactivated in mine). I was wondering why I didn't notice the lights adjusting. Is it obvious when it moves up and down?

Thanks for info.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C250 Coupe
Originally Posted by Kevin82
Didn't know that you had to push the stalk forward to activate adaptive lighting. Thought that you just had to enable it in the options menu (was deactivated in mine). I was wondering why I didn't notice the lights adjusting. Is it obvious when it moves up and down?

Thanks for info.
Haha, don't worry, I was thinking the same thing for the first week! lol.

Yeah, you definitely notice it when it adjusts, click it towards you to see what it looks like with hi-beams engaged. When you push them forward, they won't come on if you don't need them, but it will display a "light" symbol with an A in the middle in the center speedometer cluster screen, on the bottom left under the P,R,N,D letters. This is so that you know it is actively monitoring for high-beam assistance.

They don't come on very often like I said - only when you need them. Some people might not like this, but I do. Especially when you consider that I have the alternative in the Escalade - which comes on all the time as long as there are no headlights (but street lights are abundant) such as in residential areas, blinding houses. And the worst part in the escalade is that it comes on no matter what as long as it is enabled in the dash screen. (Meaning signal stalk in normal position).

Last edited by jctevere; 01-12-2012 at 04:40 AM.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'12 C204 C250, '05 SLK350 (sold)
First of all, great comparison between the lighting and non-lighting package. I am glad I held out for the exact packages I wanted, nothing more, nothing less (COMAND, P1, Lighting).

The lighting package looks amazing, and not just for show. I occasionally do some mountain driving at night (going up to the ski slopes) and I do push my car hard, so having the active curve illiumination is night and day from when I had a simple HID kit upgrade on my R171 projector housing.

One gripe I have is that while I'm doing my nighttime canyon runs, I can't leave the highbeam constantly on (like the old cars where you push that lever back). I like having it on constantly (and then turning it off when there are oncoming cars). I bet there's an option to do that somewhere?

Originally Posted by jctevere
Haha, don't worry, I was thinking the same thing for the first week! lol.

Yeah, you definitely notice it when it adjusts, click it towards you to see what it looks like with hi-beams engaged. When you push them forward, they won't come on if you don't need them, but it will display a "light" symbol with an A in the middle in the center speedometer cluster screen, on the bottom left under the P,R,N,D letters. This is so that you know it is actively monitoring for high-beam assistance.

They don't come on very often like I said - only when you need them. Some people might not like this, but I do. Especially when you consider that I have the alternative in the Escalade - which comes on all the time as long as there are no headlights (but street lights are abundant) such as in residential areas, blinding houses. And the worst part in the escalade is that it comes on no matter what as long as it is enabled in the dash screen. (Meaning signal stalk in normal position).
Old 01-12-2012, 05:27 PM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
C204 C250-CDI
Nice write up, certainly looking forward to mine

The front headlamp operation of all the 'gizmos' was demonstrated to me by my sales rep - very impressed like yourself seeing all of these features at work for the first time, especially the auxilliary cornering lamp

You mentioned that the indicators don't double up as a DRL like some other MB models, but dosn't your car have DRL's lower down in the front bar ??
Old 01-12-2012, 06:58 PM

2012 C350 Coupe
Anyone order a coupe in January? I was told that if I ordered my coupe come January I would not be able to order the S32 COMAND package and would need to pay 2,790 for the Multimedia package. I pulled the trigger on a C350 Coupe, but unfortunately it did not come with the lighting package.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 c250 Coupe
Originally Posted by slktyperice
First of all, great comparison between the lighting and non-lighting package. I am glad I held out for the exact packages I wanted, nothing more, nothing less (COMAND, P1, Lighting).

The lighting package looks amazing, and not just for show. I occasionally do some mountain driving at night (going up to the ski slopes) and I do push my car hard, so having the active curve illiumination is night and day from when I had a simple HID kit upgrade on my R171 projector housing.

One gripe I have is that while I'm doing my nighttime canyon runs, I can't leave the highbeam constantly on (like the old cars where you push that lever back). I like having it on constantly (and then turning it off when there are oncoming cars). I bet there's an option to do that somewhere?
To leave high beam on all the time I think you have to:
  1. Turn off the Adaptive Lighting Assist (whatever it's called) in the instrument cluster options menu (navigate to one of the settings menu using your left steering wheel buttons.)
  2. You should be able to highbeam all the time now when you push stalk forward.
Will confirm this the next time I take a drive at night.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:08 PM

'12 C204 C250, '05 SLK350 (sold)
Originally Posted by Kevin82
To leave high beam on all the time I think you have to:
  1. Turn off the Adaptive Lighting Assist (whatever it's called) in the instrument cluster options menu (navigate to one of the settings menu using your left steering wheel buttons.)
  2. You should be able to highbeam all the time now when you push stalk forward.
Will confirm this the next time I take a drive at night.
Thanks. I'll use it to **** people off who are in front of me driving too slow in traffic on my afternoon commute tonight.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C250 Coupe
^ Yes, that is how you can manually control the high-beams with a car that has adaptive high-beam system in it. Also, if its just to flash people, you can pull the stalk towards you instead of pushing it to the front for flashes, or hold it for continued brights until they move out of your way, lol.

Also, you dealer may not be lying about not getting the "cheap comand". It was only a launch edition package - and I guess come the new year they are doing away with the package and charging full retail prices.
Old 01-21-2012, 03:40 AM

2012 C350 Coupe Loaded
Yep, Lighting Package is a must. After having lighting package, I wouldn't buy this car without it.

One gripe I have though, not about the highbeams. But rather the automatic on / off lights. If I choose the auto setting, when I start my car in the garage the lights turn on right away. Then I pull out of the garage and they turn off . I wish there was a way to delay this longer as it is not good for HID bulbs to turn on and off so rapidly. Sometimes I just turn on the parking lights before I start the car because it only turns on the rear lights and the front "C" lights and prevents the headlamps from turning on.

Maybe the dealer can set the delay a little longer?
Old 01-21-2012, 12:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts
600 SWB
I love it! The only challenge is when driving in intermitten/ extreme fog. I found myself manually returning to low beam and then when needing high beam having to wait until the sensors allow for the highs.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
Here's a tip: when you have the engine off, but key in accessory mode at night you can turn the surround lighting off (save battery power) by quickly turning the light selector knob from auto to the marker setting (one click to the left of auto) and then back to auto again. I was very annoyed before I discovered this because the lights would just stay on and eat the battery if you wanted to spend a bit of time in the car at night with the engine off.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:56 PM

C250 CDI coupe, Obsidian Black Vision Pack, Drive Assist Plus pack, Comfort Pack, Rev Camera
You can turn your lights off by selecting the left or right park light.

The park lighting only comes active once the car is switched off.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C250 Coupe
^Thanks guys, I was wondering this. Sometimes I am in my car at night getting frisky and would prefer to have it on instead of turning it off for heat. You solved my problems!
Old 01-29-2012, 08:20 AM

C
Originally Posted by slktyperice
Thanks. I'll use it to **** people off who are in front of me driving too slow in traffic on my afternoon commute tonight.
I think you also can't have the light setting to AUTO

in order to use highbeams you need to turn the dial to headlights and then push the stalk
Old 01-29-2012, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by jkyriakou
You can turn your lights off by selecting the left or right park light.

The park lighting only comes active once the car is switched off.
This is what I was originally doing before I found the better method. Problem is you risk forgetting that the left / right parking light is on and then leaving the car. There is no warning chime for them being left on.

Turn it from auto to surround lighting then back to auto and it's good to go next time you get in the car plus it turns the lights off
Old 01-30-2012, 04:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C250 Coupe
Originally Posted by GuOD
I think you also can't have the light setting to AUTO

in order to use highbeams you need to turn the dial to headlights and then push the stalk
Yes, this is is adaptive highbeam assist is selected, I found this out the other night. However, if it is disabled, you can use the high-beams in auto mode. Or you can simply hold this stalk towards you for as long as you need it on (not the most convenient, but it works).

I think that the adaptive high-beam assist is getting better too. I find that lately it is being more "adaptive". And I notice that even though its not full high-beam with the notification on the dash. I constantly see is making corrections higher and lower without full highbeam, and it REALLY makes a difference.