Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 10:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by tharsis
I have a droid and an iphone to play with so have been able to compare. So far:

Iphone:
- Contacts autosync, give it time it'll just work it out, time dependent on number of contacts.
- AU (at least) cars come with the media interface, at least with the vision pack, which includes iphone, regular USB (in addition to the other USB port in the glove box) and a 3.5mm female adapter for the "media interface"
- Iphone doesn't work with command online without installing a third party app that also requires jail-broken phones (MB to fix later in 2012)
- Album art, playlists etc all work no issue from ipod side of phone
- SMS commands "not available"

Android
- Have to request a "business card import" from the android, then go to the droid screen to accept the car as a trusted source/destination. (suggest click always allow) imports at that point all items including address details etc which can be used by NAV (even tomtom doesn't do this!)
- Command online works with Samsung Galaxy S no issue, just dials up but is slower than phone is capable of due to the way the MB software connects, should be better at the end of the year with an upgrade to MB software
- Voice command "read messages" works no issue, if you store all your old texts however it will replay the entire conversation, suggest you clear out your phone before using this feature. (essentially the car reads back text messages to you)
- Bluetooth audio streaming works without issue, saves you from plugging in, MB software can only start/stop the audio track however. Need to test more, looks like it may skip tracks but could be dependent on app on the phone.

General
- Fat32 formatted USB keys work well, note limit of 4gb per folder and some issues when trying to access larger than 32gb usb cards
- Can copy content from usb to 10gb folder
- USB, HDD both work for voice search function when looking for music tracks (haven't tried other sources yet)
- Google "local search" works in AU (and very well from what i can tell) but requires command online and therefore a mobile that you can use.
- Voice prompts work without customisation and well from what I have tried so far, however not at all on the command online portion of the interface, and natural language not supported in AU right now ie, you need to spell out suburb or street names rather than saying "richmond" for example. Fix coming later this year (apparently)
- Most natural commands work no issue, eg "find nearest filling station" will present a list of petrol stations nearby. hard part is remembering all the short cut voice commands.
- Traffic info from SUNA traffic best part is if you set a destination it will filter out the list and only play back info that will affect your journey
- Track playing information off of the radio all there as you would expect (for stations that broadcast this)
PLEASE tell me what 3rd party app you are using on the iPhone to enable COMAND Online. Also, those of us unfortunate enough to have US models cannot transfer MP3s to the music register - only Audio CDs.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C250 Coupe
Originally Posted by acr2001
PLEASE tell me what 3rd party app you are using on the iPhone to enable COMAND Online. Also, those of us unfortunate enough to have US models cannot transfer MP3s to the music register - only Audio CDs.
Also I would like to add on - playing internet radio through an app (iPhone) is seamless! Sounds better than the FM radio.

There may be some good news. COMAND Online upgrade may come sooner than we thought. I'm hoping that the dealers are able to get the firmware updated and get the iPhone working. Target is by March. Will keep everyone posted...

Last edited by mikengo; 01-18-2012 at 03:29 AM.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:27 AM

C250 Coupe
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by mikengo
Yes. One of the media interface cable has a 3.5mm jack female that has "video, left-audio, right-audio, ground" connections. I bought a male-to-male 3.5mm jack cable (that supports video) and plug that into my iPod Video 3.5mm jack (headphone jack). Once I play a video, it asked on the iPod "TV on" or "TV off". Basically TV on...and then I get the error message "In order not to distract...bla bla".

venchka, you're right. I called up my sales and dug further, it seems that there's a code in the menu that can enable/disable this function (or set to display video at certain speed). I'll pay a visit to the authorised dealer.

Here's what I found from another forum. Basically this engineering menu exist except "Prohibition Settings"

[DVD setting]
ECE/US/Japan: ECE(0)
PAL/NTSC: PAL(2)
Region code: 2
Single/Changer: Single(1)
Range type AM/FM: ECE(0)
Range type LW: On(1)
Range type SW: On(1)

[TGW Parameter]
MOST: On(1)
Audio Source: force audio via external amp(1)
DAB: Not installed(0)
SDARS: Not installed(0)
UCI: Not installed(0)

[Debug Serial setting]
Main: Stop(0)
Audio: Audio Debug Port Off(0)

[Prohibition setting] <------------------------Blink blink!!!!!!
Navi speller: Enable(0)
Navi map: Enable(0)
Address book: Dis > 5km/h(3)
TV/Video: Dis > 5km/h(3)
Navi (car position): Enable(0)
Navi (destination): Enable(0)
Navi (city): Enable(0)
Navi (name): Enable(0)
Navi (phone number): Enable(0)
Navi Scroll Map: Enable(0)
Other Distraction: Disable(255)

[HU Paramter]
Language: german(0x01[4])
BT contact plate: Not installed(0)
Audio AUX: On(1)
Video AUX: Off(0)
Navi: Installed(1)
Bluetooth: On(1)
Navi Data Base: Activated(1)
RIZ signal source: reverse gear(0)
Retrofit Navi: Not installed(0)
Navi Offroad: Not installed(0)
Musicserver: Activated(1)
Basic telephone: Activated(1)
Addressbook: Activated(1)
SDS/TTS: Activated(1)
Musicserver func: Copy(1)
DVD Video: On(1)
Tail gate party: Off(0)
Rearview Camera: Not installed(0)
Display Haptics: Moveable(0)
Rear Seat Entertainment: off(RSE0)(0)

(courtesy of another forumer that has extended this research).
I just went to the dealer. Apparently the car has been specifically instructed by the authorities (government) to totally disable the "entertainment" facility, including at Park Mode (DVD playback and Internet access). It's good to know that he identified the problem almost instantaneously. He is helping me to submit a permission to enable the feature. I hope that includes "video in motion"... crossing my fingers! Other forum members are correct. The dealer also require to submit a passcode request to Germany and state the reason to enable the feature. A passcode will be give subsequently. Each car has different passcode. He would need a STAR system to enable it.

I'm happy to know there's a solution. The service is commendable and they are willing to help from the beginning. Having gone so far, I still have no regrets switching from BMW to MB... Thumbs up MB!

Last edited by mikengo; 01-18-2012 at 03:33 AM.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 119 Likes on 66 Posts
2020 G63, 2021 E450 All-Terrain Wagon
Internet access is blocked in the U.S., but your dealer is the dumbest idiot alive if he's telling you that specifically, the GOVERNMENT shut down YOUR access to watching DVD's while the car is in park. This has nothing to do with the GOVERNMENT, it has to do with a malfunctioning software problem. Have the dealer update the software or speak to a service manager. This isn't Splitview, this is a STANDARD FEATURE on every Mercedes with COMAND and a CD/DVD changer.

"The dealer also require to submit a passcode request to Germany and state the reason to enable the feature. A passcode will be give subsequently. Each car has different passcode. He would need a STAR system to enable it."

^ Sounds like BS; This would, I could only imagine, be for Splitview, which is only available on the S Class (allows driver to see one thing and passenger to see another via a special display). DVD in Park should be enabled in the engineering menu. Press the phone hang up, #, and 1. Scroll until you find HU Parameters. In HU Parameters, find the option that has to do with enabling video playback. Set the option to on, and go back to the main menu. Scroll down to "reset system." Click OK. Your addresses, phone integration, etc. won't be affected. Only the settings you changed. - I know I don't have a C class, but since you have a new C class, I have the same system in my E class.

Your dealer is pulling your leg. I'm sorry to rant, but I hate it when dealers try to say they know what's going on and try to trick customers by saying they have a solution when they really don't. Sure, I'm not a tech, but when DVD in Park wasn't working on my S550, the dealer updated the software and it worked. Please don't fall into the dealer's trap. Good luck
Old 01-18-2012, 09:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 Volvo XC70; 2012 GLK 350 4matic
Correct on the MP3 deal. Only CDs can be use the record feature to place music on the hard drive. It's a copyright protection thing.

[Cranky old Coot RANT]
Video in Motion: Fuhgettaboutit. Only an idiot would disable the VIM lock out. At the moment the USGummermint is trying to ban cell phone use in vehicles because of IDIOTS paying more attention to their phones than they pay attention to their driving.
Cars are for driving. DVD watching and playing with your cell phone are for sitting still. If you can't be without your cell phone & DVDs while driving, stay at home.
[/Cranky old Coot RANT]

Wayne
Old 01-18-2012, 09:11 PM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
C204 C250-CDI
Also I would like to add on - playing internet radio through an app (iPhone) is seamless! Sounds better than the FM radio.

There may be some good news. COMAND Online upgrade may come sooner than we thought. I'm hoping that the dealers are able to get the firmware updated and get the iPhone working. Target is by March. Will keep everyone posted...
Nice, if that's the case mine should arrive with that done as I'm expecting delivery of my Aust. order some time in April

I'm the market for a new smart phone and until this point was leaning away from the iphone, but may reconsider if all the functions it offers are workable with the C Class' command system
Old 01-18-2012, 11:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C300 4Matic
I just went to the dealer. Apparently the car has been specifically instructed by the authorities (government) to totally disable the "entertainment" facility, including at Park Mode (DVD playback and Internet access). It's good to know that he identified the problem almost instantaneously. He is helping me to submit a permission to enable the feature. I hope that includes "video in motion"... crossing my fingers! Other forum members are correct. The dealer also require to submit a passcode request to Germany and state the reason to enable the feature. A passcode will be give subsequently. Each car has different passcode. He would need a STAR system to enable it.

I'm happy to know there's a solution. The service is commendable and they are willing to help from the beginning. Having gone so far, I still have no regrets switching from BMW to MB... Thumbs up MB!
What exactly do you mean? In a US 2012 C you can play DVDs in park and COMAND online works perfectly - you just have to turn it on in the engineering menu. Naturally these options will not work while the vehicle is in motion - and they certainly shouldn't! I understand that you might have a passenger up front who wants to use the internet or watch a DVD, but people (and I don't mean you personally!) are just too stupid to be trusted with that - they'll watch a DVD or surf while driving.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
Judging from his region settings for his DVD, it appears that he is not located in the United States. Therefore, perhaps local laws prohibit this feature entirely. Even if in park. But just to be clear, when you said that you were in park and had the "brakes on". Does this mean you held your foot on the brake pedal, or you engaged the parking brake with the third smaller pedal all the way to the left (assuming you don't have a manual, otherwise it is the fourth pedal to the left).

I believe that the application to allow Bluetooth DUN internet sharing is PDANet on the iPhone, which requires your iPhone to be jailbroken to install via Cydia. I also believe that it is a paid Cydia application (meaning it will cost money). But heck, if your iPhone is already jailbroken, you can just install the cracked version as well for free! lol.

Also, where are you getting your information from about current NTG4.5 (2012 comand systems) gaining functionality of PAN (iPhone support internet sharing) via an update. I have spoken with my contact at MBUSA and they are keeping rather "hush hush" about it. But she did manage to share that they are planning on integrating a "new" comand system that will incorporate these features.

Now perhaps she just isn't able to share with me at this time that there will be an update, but I was just wondering if you were "sure" that it would be an update, or could it be only reserved to new comand systems - such as new hardware in a 2013 comand?

I know that the upcoming 2013 SL will have a new comand system that will support new features and a slew of iPhone/Android apps that Mercedes-Benz has just came out with and showcased at CES. But what is unclear to me is if the 2012 cars with these relatively "new" comand systems can update to these features. They kind of hinted that they would at CES, by saying that the "new" C350 coupe will also support a certain application talked about in the Press Release. But what is unclear is whether the "new" c350 coupe they are talking about is a 2012 model, or a 2013 model, and if the C350 coupe will only support that single application, or all the applications/features talked about in the press release and showcased in the new 2013 SL.

Last edited by jctevere; 01-18-2012 at 11:50 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:41 AM

Golf 6 Diesel
CNet had this info about Mbrace2.
Does this suggest it would be a hardware update, rather than software?

Mercedes-Benz Mbrace2 keeps track of your car, Facebook, finances

The new Mercedes-Benz SL is not just the latest in the long line of super coupes and convertibles; it's also the first to feature the company's new telematics system, Mbrace2.

At the Detroit Motor Show, we got to photograph and touch the new SL to our hearts' content. But it was some 2000 miles away in Las Vegas that we got our first look at Mbrace2, which gives drivers access to a number of useful and popular apps in the dashboard.

Mercedes-Benz enhanced its traditional on-screen interface with a carousel menu structure, and one of those carousel items leads to the apps. These include Facebook, Yelp, a news reader, Morningstar Finance, Google search, Google Street View and Panoramio.

Most of the apps are integrated with the navigation system, so the driver can instantly set a restaurant from Yelp as a destination, for example. As a safety feature, many of the app functions are blocked while the car is moving.

(Credit: Antuan Goodwin/CNET)

Through its partner Hughes Telematics, Mercedes-Benz can update the apps available in the car without requiring the owner to visit a dealer. Mbrace2 relies on a new hardware module that includes a 3G data connection.

Along with the apps, the Mbrace2 hardware includes the features of the first generation of Mbrace (not seen in Australia), such as emergency crash response and remote door unlocking. It also adds a new set of features helping owners to keep track of their cars.

Mbrace2 offers geofencing, so the owner can set an area in which the car can be driven. If it crosses a set geographical boundary, the owner will receive a text, and a disobedient son or daughter might have to come up with an explanation. Likewise, Mbrace2 enables a breadcrumb service, which lets the owner see where the car was driven.

Beyond keeping track of errant teen drivers, Mbrace2 should make it easy to find a stolen car.

In the US, Mbrace2 will debut in the new SL, and spread to the rest of the range over time. No word yet on when or if the system will show up on Australian Mercs.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cool

What exactly do you mean? In a US 2012 C you can play DVDs in park and COMAND online works perfectly - you just have to turn it on in the engineering menu. Naturally these options will not work while the vehicle is in motion - and they certainly shouldn't! I understand that you might have a passenger up front who wants to use the internet or watch a DVD, but people (and I don't mean you personally!) are just too stupid to be trusted with that - they'll watch a DVD or surf while driving.
Thank you.

Wayne
Old 01-19-2012, 12:52 PM

C250 Coupe
Originally Posted by jctevere
Judging from his region settings for his DVD, it appears that he is not located in the United States. Therefore, perhaps local laws prohibit this feature entirely. Even if in park. But just to be clear, when you said that you were in park and had the "brakes on". Does this mean you held your foot on the brake pedal, or you engaged the parking brake with the third smaller pedal all the way to the left (assuming you don't have a manual, otherwise it is the fourth pedal to the left).

I believe that the application to allow Bluetooth DUN internet sharing is PDANet on the iPhone, which requires your iPhone to be jailbroken to install via Cydia. I also believe that it is a paid Cydia application (meaning it will cost money). But heck, if your iPhone is already jailbroken, you can just install the cracked version as well for free! lol.

Also, where are you getting your information from about current NTG4.5 (2012 comand systems) gaining functionality of PAN (iPhone support internet sharing) via an update. I have spoken with my contact at MBUSA and they are keeping rather "hush hush" about it. But she did manage to share that they are planning on integrating a "new" comand system that will incorporate these features.

Now perhaps she just isn't able to share with me at this time that there will be an update, but I was just wondering if you were "sure" that it would be an update, or could it be only reserved to new comand systems - such as new hardware in a 2013 comand?

I know that the upcoming 2013 SL will have a new comand system that will support new features and a slew of iPhone/Android apps that Mercedes-Benz has just came out with and showcased at CES. But what is unclear to me is if the 2012 cars with these relatively "new" comand systems can update to these features. They kind of hinted that they would at CES, by saying that the "new" C350 coupe will also support a certain application talked about in the Press Release. But what is unclear is whether the "new" c350 coupe they are talking about is a 2012 model, or a 2013 model, and if the C350 coupe will only support that single application, or all the applications/features talked about in the press release and showcased in the new 2013 SL.
Spot on jctevere. My car is not US spec, and I'm not in US as well. I know for a fact that the authorities have indeed placed strict instruction to ban DVD and Internet as it is also applicable to BMWs here. The good news is the Manager immediately "clicked" and knew what I wanted to achieve and he also mentioned that he "may" be able to try out a new firmware for phone compatibility. He doesn't guarantee the PAN but at the very least, DVD during park mode (gear at "P" and 3rd pedal pressed with brake indicator lit up) will be able to playback and access internet (websites, not COMAND online) without any issues. All I'm saying is that the Manager attended my issues and did not push back my request. The last thing I need is a NO and that will leave me a long trail of complaints. For now, I'm happy with the service that he/they are offering. I'm sorry to hear some of you that has gone through disappointing moments or given a "talk to the hand" respond. They deserve my respect as how they have offered theirs from the beginning.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:16 PM

2006 audi a4
I downloaded PDANet on my iphone =). jctevere or someone can you tell me how to enable internet access in the engineering menu? I couldn't find that info in the other threads.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:43 PM

2012 C63 AMG Coupé
What exactly do you mean? In a US 2012 C you can play DVDs in park and COMAND online works perfectly - you just have to turn it on in the engineering menu.
Ive gotten into the engineering menu, but how do i turn it on?
Old 01-19-2012, 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It sure helps if we have ALL of the particulars up front. We have all been pounding our fingers black & blue trying to help a situation we know nothing about.
As for backward compatiblilty for 2012 systems? Don't hold your breath. The 2012 COMAND system in the GLK doesn't match the 2012 COMAND system in the C-Class vehicles. I am not going to fret over my 2012 system being brought up to date with the 2013 systems. Just another M-B second class citizen treatment for the "lesser" vehicles.

Wayne
Old 01-19-2012, 05:09 PM

'12 C204 C250, '05 SLK350 (sold)
The next gen of Mercedes COMAND:
http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/13/tech/i...tml?hpt=hp_bn6
Old 01-21-2012, 07:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by dave405nyc
I downloaded PDANet on my iphone =). jctevere or someone can you tell me how to enable internet access in the engineering menu? I couldn't find that info in the other threads.
I had tried PDANet along with other forum members and it did not work- doesn't properly support Bluetooth DUN. Did they update it? I'll have to give it another try. Thanks.

For those who asked - you have full internet access (not just MB Online) on the 2012 COMAND unit once you enable it in the engineering menu. There are a few options in there that must be turned on to get full functionality. Do a search and you will come across the thread with the details. It's all there, MBUSA just disables it within the engineering menu.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:27 PM

2012 C63 AMG Coupé
Do a search and you will come across the thread with the details. It's all there, MBUSA just disables it within the engineering menu.
Been searching the forum for a few days can't find it
Old 01-23-2012, 11:50 AM

C250 Coupe
Originally Posted by padroncubans
Been searching the forum for a few days can't find it
Try this...
Eng Menu->HWSettings->HU parameters-> (push down to 3rd page) ->Browser=ON

Good luck!!
Old 01-23-2012, 11:52 AM

2012 C63 AMG Coupé
Try this...
Eng Menu->HWSettings->HU parameters-> (push down to 3rd page) ->Browser=ON

Good luck!!
thanks, your the man!! I'm going to try it later today!
Old 01-23-2012, 12:12 PM

C250 Coupe
Originally Posted by padroncubans
thanks, your the man!! I'm going to try it later today!
Pleasure! Don't forget to back all the way out to main menu, page down and hit RESET to reboot the COMAND to take effect of your new settings!
Old 01-28-2012, 09:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C300 4Matic
I tried PDANet out again on the iPhone - doesn't work.
As far as I am concerned anyone who says they have Comand online working through their iPhone (DUN) is a liar unless they prove otherwise.
Old 01-29-2012, 01:51 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2020 CLA 250 4Matic Black
I tried PDANet out again on the iPhone - doesn't work.
As far as I am concerned anyone who says they have Comand online working through their iPhone (DUN) is a liar unless they prove otherwise.

My dealer was making a big fuss about my blackberry 9860 texting working on my Class. He got another salesperson over who wanted to see my phone.
They had not seen a non Android phone work before

The problem with iPhones and Mercedes BT is well known. I think its the fact that IOS uses its own version of the software so there is compatibility.

They were telling me about an S-Class owner who was pissed his new iPhone did not read out his text messages to him.

The system alerts you of the incoming text message and you can read it on the MM display. To have it read it out to you you have to select it and then chose to read text. BTW the old mechanical voice comes back when the text is being read to you. It sounds very robotic with no inflections, well my text did not have any but I don't think I want that voice to ask me a question anyway Its great option to just be able to see the text, the reading part is not worth it unless you are just lazy or bored.

Last edited by Leslielp; 01-29-2012 at 01:55 PM.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:29 PM

C250CDI Coupe
Originally Posted by Leslielp
My dealer was making a big fuss about my blackberry 9860 texting working on my Class. He got another salesperson over who wanted to see my phone.
They had not seen a non Android phone work before
My dealer wasn't even really aware of what could be done and tried to skip over the command online bit.

The problem with iPhones and Mercedes BT is well known. I think its the fact that IOS uses its own version of the software so there is compatibility.
Agreed, well known, however in this case DUN (dial up networking, the way MB currently accepts) is a way to get your perfectly fast Bluetooth enabled phone to run at 14.4/28.8k speeds by this i mean REALLLLLLY slow, completely unusable. With the benefit that it works with more phones the world over (most symbian, BB and obviously android). The newer standard as seen on iphones (also supported on androids & new BB) is actually a hell of a lot faster, allowing the phone to effectively pass through at it's normal speeds, so those with LTE phones will have something that will work really well providing MB pulls a finger out and puts the driver in to their system later this year.

The system alerts you of the incoming text message and you can read it on the MM display. To have it read it out to you you have to select it and then chose to read text. BTW the old mechanical voice comes back when the text is being read to you. It sounds very robotic with no inflections, well my text did not have any but I don't think I want that voice to ask me a question anyway Its great option to just be able to see the text, the reading part is not worth it unless you are just lazy or bored.
For me, i can tell the voice command system to start reading out "messages" and it reads them all out, no need to "select" a message out of a list... I need to play with it again, as I don't really care about texting while driving. However this may be just new to the current software as I only just got my MB. The voice is just the standard talk library that's been around for a while and not a premium one for reading out messages, hence yes it sounds fairly average. I hope they keep updating these features or just make stuff available via an API so someone else can write a plugin.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:53 PM

C250 Coupe
Spot on jctevere. My car is not US spec, and I'm not in US as well. I know for a fact that the authorities have indeed placed strict instruction to ban DVD and Internet as it is also applicable to BMWs here. The good news is the Manager immediately "clicked" and knew what I wanted to achieve and he also mentioned that he "may" be able to try out a new firmware for phone compatibility. He doesn't guarantee the PAN but at the very least, DVD during park mode (gear at "P" and 3rd pedal pressed with brake indicator lit up) will be able to playback and access internet (websites, not COMAND online) without any issues. All I'm saying is that the Manager attended my issues and did not push back my request. The last thing I need is a NO and that will leave me a long trail of complaints. For now, I'm happy with the service that he/they are offering. I'm sorry to hear some of you that has gone through disappointing moments or given a "talk to the hand" respond. They deserve my respect as how they have offered theirs from the beginning.
Kudos to the technical team. I finally got the DVD video appear when the speed of the car <5/km/h. The culprit was indeed the software lockdown and they have unlocked it, per my request but it's only limited to speed sensitive availability, which is a standard. I'm thankful that there are people out there that could resolve this officially and not gone underground work and resulted such beautiful car being battered up with screw marks and tampers.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C350 coupe; 2013 ML350
Blackberry Torch works fine...I don't think there is an off/on position. I think it depends on the phone.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How to enable the 'Text Message' System on the c250