Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

What % tint to get on my coupe?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 07:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 C204
What % tint to get on my coupe?

Anyone who has the coupe knows the visibility is not that great. The A pillars are really large on this car and the angle of the windshield makes the view somewhat obscured.

I have an iridium colored coupe with black interior and I'm trying to decide whether I should go with 35% tint or the darker 20%.

I was used to 20% on my old car which was a sedan but this car is significantly smaller and lets in less light.

Let me know your opinion.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C250 CDI coupe, Obsidian Black Vision Pack, Drive Assist Plus pack, Comfort Pack, Rev Camera
If you've got panoramic glass definitely the 20. I've put 15 on mine with privacy rear and it looks awesome. Visibility is fine when you get used to it. (except when I'm reversing out of my driveway at night. Thank got for the rev camera!)

I'll try to get some pics up. Btw it's obsidian black with black interior.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:48 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2024 G63 AMG, 2022 GLE 63S AMG
I personally would do 15% all around, because stock in all other cars is 18%.
Old 01-28-2012, 01:03 PM

C
I voted 35% since that's what I went for
Old 01-28-2012, 08:38 PM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
C204 C250-CDI
Originally Posted by Igor1080
Anyone who has the coupe knows the visibility is not that great. The A pillars are really large on this car and the angle of the windshield makes the view somewhat obscured.

I have an iridium colored coupe with black interior and I'm trying to decide whether I should go with 35% tint or the darker 20%.

I was used to 20% on my old car which was a sedan but this car is significantly smaller and lets in less light.

Let me know your opinion.
IMO with this car it would depend on whether or not you have the privacy glass

If you don't IMHO 35% would be the best choice as it won't look too dark especially considering the black interior, (cars with black interiors always make the tint look darker than what it is) and you would still have some 'depth' through the glass which looks classy, but looks is subjective and some people prefer the really dark/totally black look, legality issues aside.

Another thing to consider is that a lighter tint will reflect more heat rather than absorb heat, given UV rating and film type is the same so the interior will be cooler when exposed on a very hot day.

I was advised about this with one tinting place I used many years ago and fair enough I have several vehicles all of which are tinted and the one which is noticeably coolest is the one with 50% tint, it also makes the interior on that car (which is magma red red) look awesome from the outside viewing through the windows

If you have the privacy tint on your car, then you probably end up with no choice but to use a 20% at least if you want to match it up - that'll be my dilemma when my car arrives, ie. I'll want to match it up, but IMO a 20 or 15% tint looks too dark and gives no depth to the interior, absorbs more heat and is illegal here

Best of luck with it
Old 01-28-2012, 11:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
It really depends on the interior. I had 35% on a black interior sedan and it was perfect. Could make out a silhouette during the day, and can't see anything in the back seat at night ;-)

This time around I have tan interior and a panoramic roof. I still went 35% all around because it was hard backing up with 35% and didn't want to imagine trying with 20's. Plus, its a coupe, the backseat is useless for such tasks. But it is "light". You can see me during the day, but not very easily, and at night time you can still see silhouette and people in the car. Closing the shade on the panoramic roof helps, but not a ton.

If I had to do it all over again I would do this:
35% on the side windows, 20% on the rear glass. DONE. This way the interior will be darker, but you can still see out the side windows at night when reversing (some-what) and it doesn't look tacky like having front side windows and rear side windows different shades. I don't anyone will even notice the rear glass is a different percentage than the side glass.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:09 PM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

C204 C250-CDI
Originally Posted by jctevere
It really depends on the interior. I had 35% on a black interior sedan and it was perfect. Could make out a silhouette during the day, and can't see anything in the back seat at night ;-)

This time around I have tan interior and a panoramic roof. I still went 35% all around because it was hard backing up with 35% and didn't want to imagine trying with 20's. Plus, its a coupe, the backseat is useless for such tasks. But it is "light". You can see me during the day, but not very easily, and at night time you can still see silhouette and people in the car. Closing the shade on the panoramic roof helps, but not a ton.

If I had to do it all over again I would do this:
35% on the side windows, 20% on the rear glass. DONE. This way the interior will be darker, but you can still see out the side windows at night when reversing (some-what) and it doesn't look tacky like having front side windows and rear side windows different shades. I don't anyone will even notice the rear glass is a different percentage than the side glass.
What you've suggested above is exactly what I would want to do, but unfortunately here in Aust. when you order one of these cars with the panoramic roof (Vision Package) it comes standard with the privacy glass and hence the dilemma of what to do with the front door glass

I agree with you about it looking not good with different shades on the side glass areas, but having the back window as dark as the panoramic roof and then the sides all done in a lighter matching shade is definitely the way to go.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C250 Coupe
Originally Posted by AV1
What you've suggested above is exactly what I would want to do, but unfortunately here in Aust. when you order one of these cars with the panoramic roof (Vision Package) it comes standard with the privacy glass and hence the dilemma of what to do with the front door glass

I agree with you about it looking not good with different shades on the side glass areas, but having the back window as dark as the panoramic roof and then the sides all done in a lighter matching shade is definitely the way to go.
Oh really? I didn't know that? So much like SUV here in the U.S. that have privacy glass on all the windows besides the front windows, the coupe has the same (where the two rear side windows and rear glass are privacy tinted?). If that is the case, I would just match the privacy glass, (20%). You can do 35% but it will be too light. The 20% will also be lighter because the windshield is going to let light in, giving it the look of 35's.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:21 PM

2012 C250 Coupe
I just got 30% done all around today and it looks great. The one thing I'm not sure I like is that the installer (without asking me) cut "partially" around the 3rd brake light. The top 3rd of the 3rd brake light is tinted, but not the bottom 2/3rds. If the 3rd brake light on the coupe was a little less wide, it probably wouldn't be a big deal. I'm not sure how I feel about it though. I'm going to mull it over for a few days...

Did anyone else get their tint cut around the brakelight, voluntarily or otherwise?
Old 01-30-2012, 09:10 PM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

C204 C250-CDI
Originally Posted by jctevere
Oh really? I didn't know that? So much like SUV here in the U.S. that have privacy glass on all the windows besides the front windows, the coupe has the same (where the two rear side windows and rear glass are privacy tinted?). If that is the case, I would just match the privacy glass, (20%). You can do 35% but it will be too light. The 20% will also be lighter because the windshield is going to let light in, giving it the look of 35's.

Yes, unfortunately that's the way it is here with these models, you've given me renued confidence about the 20%, I'll just have to wait and see some fellow Aust coupes tinted to review their results.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:22 PM

2013 C204
Originally Posted by bshrode
I just got 30% done all around today and it looks great. The one thing I'm not sure I like is that the installer (without asking me) cut "partially" around the 3rd brake light. The top 3rd of the 3rd brake light is tinted, but not the bottom 2/3rds. If the 3rd brake light on the coupe was a little less wide, it probably wouldn't be a big deal. I'm not sure how I feel about it though. I'm going to mull it over for a few days...

Did anyone else get their tint cut around the brakelight, voluntarily or otherwise?
Post some pics. Since we do have the same color and all. I'd really appreciate it.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:31 PM

E500 "The Diplomat" W211
I would do 15 on the side windows and 5 on all the rest with 20% on the windshield. Thats what I have and love it. I had to peel a layer off of the sides when I moved to cali a few years back. My fav tint is by far the windshield!
Old 01-31-2012, 09:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C250 Coupe
When I get back to my car later I will post pictures of 35% tint all around (without privacy glass) since its a MBUSA model. The color is white exterior with tan interior. If I had to do it again I would have done 20% on the rear window with 35% all the way around, but I still like it.

As far as my third brake light is concerned, my installer did not cut around it, he tinted the entire rear glass. It is fairly easy since the third brake light is pretty far away from the rear glass. It sounds like either your installer was being a bit lazy, or over-precautious, as we didn't want to tint your third brake light.

I have also lightly tinted my rear brake lights, but cut out around the turn signal/reverse lights because I prefer the look better. Pictures to follow.

EDIT: BTW, isn't 20% on the windshield FAR too dark? I was thinking about doing it to even everything out a bit, as quite bright and hot light comes from the windshield while driving and it is fairly unpleasant. I was debating between 50 and 70%... NOT 20%?!?! But regardless of the tint percentage, how does it hold up? What did you do in regards to the registration and inspection stickers? Also, what about the Mercedes-Benz logo in the passenger side of the windscreen?

Last edited by jctevere; 01-31-2012 at 09:56 AM.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:10 AM

2012 C250 Coupe
Just got 18% Carbon tint
Old 01-31-2012, 08:35 PM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

C204 C250-CDI
Originally Posted by Freshly
I would do 15 on the side windows and 5 on all the rest with 20% on the windshield. Thats what I have and love it. I had to peel a layer off of the sides when I moved to cali a few years back. My fav tint is by far the windshield!
Wow, that's dark any problems with visibilty ?? pics if you cam please

Originally Posted by lbccpt
Just got 18% Carbon tint
Request for pics also if you could please, TIA.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 67 Likes on 38 Posts
600 SWB
Just got 35% on all side and rear windows this afternoon. Will post photos in 3 days after it is completely cured.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:51 PM

2013 C204
Well whats good with the pictures?!?!??! I want to see!
Old 02-02-2012, 08:01 PM

2012 C250 Coupe
Originally Posted by Igor1080
Well whats good with the pictures?!?!??! I want to see!
I'm living like a vampire at the moment, leave work before it's light out and come home after it's dark lol. I'll try to get some pictures mid-day tomorrow. 30% seems like the perfect tint to me
Old 02-04-2012, 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 67 Likes on 38 Posts
600 SWB
Here are some quickie iPhone photos from the gym this morning. I'll try to get better ones later. As I mentioned 35% all around except for the windshield of course. It was $200 at home service in SF. I guy drove down from Marin (about 15 miles away).
Attached Thumbnails What % tint to get on my coupe?-tint-front-pass-02-2012.jpg   What % tint to get on my coupe?-tint-driver-rear-02-2012.jpg   What % tint to get on my coupe?-tinr-driver-side-02-2012.jpg  
Old 02-04-2012, 02:28 PM

E500 "The Diplomat" W211
20% windshield tinting

EDIT: BTW, isn't 20% on the windshield FAR too dark? I was thinking about doing it to even everything out a bit, as quite bright and hot light comes from the windshield while driving and it is fairly unpleasant. I was debating between 50 and 70%... NOT 20%?!?! But regardless of the tint percentage, how does it hold up? What did you do in regards to the registration and inspection stickers? Also, what about the Mercedes-Benz logo in the passenger side of the windscreen?
It depends on the color of your car. I got my windshield tinted in 07 and havent had any problems but my car is all black. If your car is a light color go with less tint like 50%. Im not sure what you mean by registration and inspection stickers, but they took the Mercedes dealer card out when it was tinted. I wanted them to cut around it at first but it would have looked weird. I am running stock xenon HIDs and havent had any problems at night, except backing up. I have had my car registered where windshield tint is "illegal" in both California and Washington and have never had any issues. The windshield is a must tint window if you have other tints. It finishes the car perfectly, its my favorite tint without a doubt.

Before Black Grille

After black grille:
Old 02-04-2012, 03:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C250 Coupe
Not too bad looking. Here in NY, just like the MErcedes sticker on the windshield we have two additional stickers on the driver side, one for registration and one for inspection. So I guess if I had to tint the windshield, I would have to cut out around them...
Old 02-07-2012, 02:32 PM

2013 C204
So I found a good tint shop in Long Island that I'm gonna try out. They're well known and they have REALLY good pricing. The place is called The Tint Shop of Great Neck.

So now I'm trying to decide if I want 35% all around OR 35% on the side windows and 20% on the rear windscreen. I'm used to having 20% but I got pulled over for it a bunch of times.

I'd appreciate some input on these two choices only.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:57 PM

2012 C250 Coupe
Here's mine with 30%, I'll take some better shots tomorrow
Attached Thumbnails What % tint to get on my coupe?-imag0063.jpg  
Old 06-14-2012, 09:43 AM

2012 C350 Coupe
I'm planning on getting 35% rear and sides. 20% on the pano. I'm also planning on using the metallic tint to help reduce the heat. It gets pretty warm here in southern Alabama. Has anyone had any problems with Navigation or Sirius reception using this kind of tint? I tried to find out where the GPS and Sat radio receiver is located, I'm guessing the shark antenna...? Either that or it's located underneath the back portion of the glass on the roof. I would appreciate any input you guys have especially before June 19th, that's my appointment for getting tint. Thanks!
Old 06-14-2012, 10:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 c250 Coupe
Originally Posted by woodych47
I'm planning on getting 35% rear and sides. 20% on the pano. I'm also planning on using the metallic tint to help reduce the heat. It gets pretty warm here in southern Alabama. Has anyone had any problems with Navigation or Sirius reception using this kind of tint? I tried to find out where the GPS and Sat radio receiver is located, I'm guessing the shark antenna...? Either that or it's located underneath the back portion of the glass on the roof. I would appreciate any input you guys have especially before June 19th, that's my appointment for getting tint. Thanks!
You can use ceramic or carbon based tint instead of metallic to reduce heat without interference. They are both more expensive though.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What % tint to get on my coupe?