Command Navigation and traffic updates, Command Online compatibility with iPhone 4

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 03:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VW Golf MKVI 118TSI and C250 CDI Coupe (on order)
Command Navigation and traffic updates, Command Online compatibility with iPhone 4

For fellow Aussie owners can someone please help clarify whether we get live traffic updates (called Sirius in the US, not sure if it's the same here) and if so, is this a paid subscription service?

I am aware Command Online isn't compatible with the iPhone 4 as far as Internet and SMS goes, does this mean traffic updates won't work if the system can't connect to the Internet through the phone?

Any insights on this would be greatly appreciated. I was quite disappointed to learn the iPhone is not compatible, does this mean Internet is pretty much not useable through the screen?
Old 04-22-2012, 03:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
Originally Posted by DL250
For fellow Aussie owners can someone please help clarify whether we get live traffic updates (called Sirius in the US, not sure if it's the same here) and if so, is this a paid subscription service?

I am aware Command Online isn't compatible with the iPhone 4 as far as Internet and SMS goes, does this mean traffic updates won't work if the system can't connect to the Internet through the phone?

Any insights on this would be greatly appreciated. I was quite disappointed to learn the iPhone is not compatible, does this mean Internet is pretty much not useable through the screen?
Hello, this is called Sirius in the U.S. - I'm not sure how the Aussie system connects. With that said, it is a paid subscription (I believe the first 3 or 6 months are free). You don't need a phone or internet access for it, but the car has to be equipped to support Sirius/XM radio (most packages support this besides bare bones). It connects via satellite and you get traffic updates - as well as weather updates and maps. I believe that the standard sticker rate is $15/month for just traffic and weather, or $25-30 a month for full Sirius (with radio), but they always run promotions allowing you to get "6 months for $25" for Full Sirius Subscription.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:56 AM

C250 CDI
Hi DL250, I'm from Melbourne and we definitely have traffic updates, the only cost I've paid to get the updates was optioning the Vision Pack with the car.

It doesn't seem to work like the one on google maps (i.e. entire streets change colour based on traffic flow). I only notice it with our SE Freeway which is permanently busy so on the map its covered in car icons, You alsooccasionally see other marks when there are road works, accidents, etc.

I didn't think that traffic updates are pulled over IP using your phone as I've got an old 3GS and it won't work with command online (so yeah, no internet for us unless MB issues an update). I'm sure I read ages ago it that it was broadcasted over the radio so maybe that's how we receive it?!?!
Old 04-22-2012, 04:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 c250 sport sedan
If your phone is android, purchase an app "BlueDUN" from 'google play' for $3.80, delete your current bluetooth pairing and then re-pair with this app turned on, and this will let you connect to the internet through comand online, not really sure if it worth the trouble, but it does work (my phone is a HTC Wildfire S, and I am in Australia)

Last edited by warren2024; 04-23-2012 at 01:00 AM. Reason: forgot to include the name of the app to make comand online work
Old 04-25-2012, 08:11 AM

C250 CDI coupe, Obsidian Black Vision Pack, Drive Assist Plus pack, Comfort Pack, Rev Camera
The traffic updates are from SUNA traffic which is a one time subscription. MB have already paid this for you. It works on the radio RDS system (you will see the TMC icon) and TP icon on the radio. in Sydney the station is Mix106. Melbourne I think it's TTfm.

On your GPS it will overlay colored dots based on the traffic activity. Red meaning the worst and yellow meaning mild.

If you select a route it will also read out the traffic alert as it comes in if it's on your route. Finally if you set dynamic routing it will guide you around the traffic if there's a quicker way. (this isnt always the best option as it can take you to an off ramp and then back on)

Only works in capital cities as that's SUNAs coverage. Go to SUNA.org.au for info.

Last edited by jkyriakou; 05-15-2012 at 11:35 AM.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:50 AM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
GLE 300d (v167)
It works without any other connection in other words- i.e. you don't need to have internet on your phone for the SUNA traffic updates to work. IIRC I got a pamphlet in my welcome pack somewhere detailing this.

On another note, COMAND Online and surfing the internet is rubbish. It's slow, clunky and the interface has some stupid nuances (e.g. the return button next to the COMAND knob always QUITS the application as opposed to going back a page- i.e. it's inconsistent with the rest of the COMAND UI).