How do you feel about the GLK being more advanced/sporty than the coupe?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 11:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
Originally Posted by DinB
I have very particular tastes...So far I like Honda Pilot, GLK, C350, s5/rs5, escalade. I have a hard time getting into sedans since doors are smaller.
Escalade ESV AWD.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 C204
Originally Posted by BodnarMB
Maybe Mom and Dad want there little boy to be driving a safe SUV as opposed to a sport coupe. Don't take it personally, I don't care either way.
Be easy hotshot, learn the lesson of THEIR VS THERE and then you can qualify to judge people LMAO.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 c250 Coupe
Originally Posted by BodnarMB
Maybe Mom and Dad want there little boy to be driving a safe SUV as opposed to a sport coupe. Don't take it personally, I don't care either way.
I'd rather a young driver have a small sport car than a big SUV that can plow into someone.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C250 Sports Sedan, 2006 AMG E55
Originally Posted by jctevere
I don't think I would necessarily agree with this statement. You don't really know who pays for their cars and who doesn't... You can only assume. I for one, pay for all my vehicles, and had a 2008 G37 Coupe, 2009 C300 4matic, and now a 2012 C250 Coupe, an I'm still only 21. I think the big thing is that leasing allows these cars to be much easier to attain, especially by the youth. However, I do agree that some (if not most) have been given everything, and I think that they are missing out on a valuable lesson that people who work and pay for everything they have gain... On the flip side, I'm also probably jealous!
I am talking about the guys who come on here and other sites like BMW. Who say my mom and dad want to buy me x,y and J and are willing to pay for it. Those to be honest are the guys I cant stand. I am sure my professional upbringing as a grunt has something to do with it. We tend to beat to a different drum. Than again I could be a complete moron, was accepted into Cal Berkley choose Arizona State and than at the last second said screw that and joined the Infantry.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:22 AM

Honda Civic
Originally Posted by Kevin82
I'd rather a young driver have a small sport car than a big SUV that can plow into someone.
A sports car plowing into an object at high speed will carry as much force as a heavier SUV travelling at a lower speed.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:31 AM

C204

Given that both cars fully loaded are about the same cost, it seems like coupe owners are getting shafted.
I think you're right.. I am heading right back to the dealership and demanding that they replace my C350 with the sportier GLK. How dare they shaft me?!

Since your parents are compensating for half the cost, take what you can get, and two/three years from now get yourself something else.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:51 PM

2012 C350 coupe; 2013 ML350
Originally Posted by DameMD
Coupe vs Cross-over smh. I didn't even cross shop or looked at the GLK. It is a nice SUV however, different dynamics.

-Automatic parking? Good for an SUV. Don't need the extra weight or computer to park me. Rearview camera is good enough.
-Heated steering wheel? Good if you have a wood grain steering wheel. Not needed with leather sport steering wheel.
-4matic? I don't want an all-wheel drive coupe. I would have went to Audi + extra weight.

These are just my opinions though. I don't think someone looking at a c-coupe will be looking at a GLK.
eeire similar photo you have of your car...see my avi...anway my comments are in line with yours...imagine that!
Old 05-03-2012, 08:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 c250 Coupe
A sports car plowing into an object at high speed will carry as much force as a heavier SUV travelling at a lower speed.
Yes, IF the young drive goes slower in the GLK SUV...
Old 05-03-2012, 11:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
Originally Posted by nomoremustang
eeire similar photo you have of your car...see my avi...anway my comments are in line with yours...imagine that!
Haha, its alright, AV1 is using one of the pics I uploaded as his avatar image... I don't mind, some people don't have their own car yet, and if anything its flattering. Lmao

Personally, I think either car is great and you are lucky to get such a deal from your parents. You can't go wrong either way. If you are leasing, get the c350 coupe, if they are buying it for you, get the GLK 350 (I would even get the turbo diesel!!). But thats just my 2 cents.

As far as which car is safer, its still a mercedes, and yet, it is still a car. An aggressive driver is dangerous behind any wheel. That being said, you shift a good deal of the force onto whoever else is involved in an accident (if a head on collision) in a GLK since you have more mass and inertia, then if you were in a Coupe. That being said, the weight of the two cars probably isn't too far off, it is the height advantage of the GLK that adds into the "safety" improvement.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:39 AM

C250 CDI coupe, Obsidian Black Vision Pack, Drive Assist Plus pack, Comfort Pack, Rev Camera
I have been wanting a coupe since I am young and single, but my parents are trying to tell me that I need something more serious (GLK) and are offering to pay for half. Anyway, after I did some researching about the upcoming 2013 GLK, I find it strange that:

- GLK has more advanced features (automatic parking, full blind spot/lane assist, heated steering wheel, etc...)

- GLK 4maitc has the dynamic handling package even though it is a mini SUV while the coupe 4matic doesnt?!!

Given that both cars fully loaded are about the same cost, it seems like coupe owners are getting shafted.
Ok. I can't see myself power sliding a GLK the way I do my coupe. Rear wheel drive with dynamic handling also means steering torque vectoring. The GLK dynamic handling is more for stability rather than sportiness IMHO.

If you want fun get a RWD not 4matic. As for the auto parking, not available for hydraulic steering cars but hydraulic steering gives you better road feel, hence sportiness. The electric steering is somewhat dull by comparison.

Heated steering is an option with climatised seats(at least in OZ) but again, are my hands going to get that cold? That's what driving gloves are for!