How do you feel about the GLK being more advanced/sporty than the coupe?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honda Civic
How do you feel about the GLK being more advanced/sporty than the coupe?

I have been wanting a coupe since I am young and single, but my parents are trying to tell me that I need something more serious (GLK) and are offering to pay for half. Anyway, after I did some researching about the upcoming 2013 GLK, I find it strange that:

- GLK has more advanced features (automatic parking, full blind spot/lane assist, heated steering wheel, etc...)

- GLK 4maitc has the dynamic handling package even though it is a mini SUV while the coupe 4matic doesnt?!!

Given that both cars fully loaded are about the same cost, it seems like coupe owners are getting shafted.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:56 PM

Received 84 Likes on 64 Posts
X3 M40i
Coupe vs Cross-over smh. I didn't even cross shop or looked at the GLK. It is a nice SUV however, different dynamics.

-Automatic parking? Good for an SUV. Don't need the extra weight or computer to park me. Rearview camera is good enough.
-Heated steering wheel? Good if you have a wood grain steering wheel. Not needed with leather sport steering wheel.
-4matic? I don't want an all-wheel drive coupe. I would have went to Audi + extra weight.

These are just my opinions though. I don't think someone looking at a c-coupe will be looking at a GLK.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 C204
Thats like comparing Apples and Oranges... Preposterous!
Old 05-01-2012, 02:33 PM

Honda Civic
Originally Posted by DameMD
Coupe vs Cross-over smh. I didn't even cross shop or looked at the GLK. It is a nice SUV however, different dynamics.

-Automatic parking? Good for an SUV. Don't need the extra weight or computer to park me. Rearview camera is good enough.
-Heated steering wheel? Good if you have a wood grain steering wheel. Not needed with leather sport steering wheel.
-4matic? I don't want an all-wheel drive coupe. I would have went to Audi + extra weight.

These are just my opinions though. I don't think someone looking at a c-coupe will be looking at a GLK.
Yeah, but the issue is that it is the same price for more features. I don't need automatic parking either, but hey, if would take it for free over the parking guidance thing that the coupe gets.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:36 PM

Received 84 Likes on 64 Posts
X3 M40i
Originally Posted by DinB
Yeah, but the issue is that it is the same price for more features. I don't need automatic parking either, but hey, if would take it for free over the parking guidance thing that the coupe gets.
You are still talking about a different segment. That's like saying the E550 coupe buyer is also cross shopping the ML550. The ML may have more features then the E coupe but I highly doubt the coupe buyer is remotely interested in a ML/GL. It all comes down to coupe or truck. I personnally like having only 4 seats, which leads to less occupants in my vehicle. There is not much room behind my front seats for rear passengers unless they are women
Old 05-01-2012, 04:43 PM

C350 Coupe 2012 (C204)
agree with everything said so far. Also, I think what your parents means by "serious" is practical. Sure, the GLK is more practical (more seats, more cargo volume, etc), but we all drive coupes because we are willing to sacrifice all that for a little more fun In the end, all you're deciding between practicality and fun.

One more thing. A quick fix for heated steering wheel is having the 2 air vents aimed towards the 9 and 3 o clock steering wheel positions and up the temperature :p
Old 05-01-2012, 04:51 PM

Honda Civic
Originally Posted by yukikaze203
agree with everything said so far. Also, I think what your parents means by "serious" is practical. Sure, the GLK is more practical (more seats, more cargo volume, etc), but we all drive coupes because we are willing to sacrifice all that for a little more fun In the end, all you're deciding between practicality and fun.

One more thing. A quick fix for heated steering wheel is having the 2 air vents aimed towards the 9 and 3 o clock steering wheel positions and up the temperature :p
Well yeah, but both are built on the same C class platform and cost almost exactly the same. Yet the 4matic coupe gets no sporty features while the GLK does. Why does a GLK need paddle shifters while the coupe doesn't? I am just wondering about the decisions MB took with deciding how to option each model.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:06 PM

2015 ML350 Black/Black
I have been wanting a coupe since I am young and single, but my parents are trying to tell me that I need something more serious (GLK) and are offering to pay for half. Anyway, after I did some researching about the upcoming 2013 GLK, I find it strange that:

- GLK has more advanced features (automatic parking, full blind spot/lane assist, heated steering wheel, etc...)

- GLK 4maitc has the dynamic handling package even though it is a mini SUV while the coupe 4matic doesnt?!!

Given that both cars fully loaded are about the same cost, it seems like coupe owners are getting shafted.

Lets start from sporty, who said that 4matic should be called sporty anyhow? Why would sporty cars need automatic parking? It is option for my grandma who can't turn her head to park!
Old 05-01-2012, 05:15 PM

2015 ML350 Black/Black
Well yeah, but both are built on the same C class platform and cost almost exactly the same. Yet the 4matic coupe gets no sporty features while the GLK does. Why does a GLK need paddle shifters while the coupe doesn't? I am just wondering about the decisions MB took with deciding how to option each model.

my coupe with paddle shifters...
Old 05-01-2012, 05:57 PM

2012 C350 Coupe Loaded
I owned a GLK. It was a 2010. Traded it for hte C Coupe.

In fact,

Now when i see them driving around (which isn't much and I live in Colorado where SUV's are everywhere) I think to myself, WHY did I buy that? They look kinda funny from a distance. Like its too small.

JMO
Old 05-01-2012, 10:57 PM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
C204 C250-CDI
These 2 MB models may be similarily priced but that's about it

I certainly wouldn't be cross shopping between these 2 if I were interested in one or the other, they are just too different I would be looking at/cross shopping the competition of either the C Class or GLK Class
Old 05-01-2012, 11:44 PM

Honda Civic
Originally Posted by AV1
These 2 MB models may be similarily priced but that's about it

I certainly wouldn't be cross shopping between these 2 if I were interested in one or the other, they are just too different I would be looking at/cross shopping the competition of either the C Class or GLK Class
I have very particular tastes. (more like 1st world problems actually). So far I like Honda Pilot, GLK, C350, s5/rs5, escalade. I have a hard time getting into sedans since doors are smaller. Had trouble getting into the new 3series BMW. I got stuck inside a 370z convertible. Had to crawl out.

Issue is that one car feels more futuristic than the other even though they are based on the same platform.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
Definitely go with the Coupe... Regardless of those extra features, the Coupe is DEFINITELY still sportier than the GLK. Also, the law of economics allows the price of the coupe to be higher, more demand, people will pay more. They are trying to gain marketshare in the GLK, thus, the better value.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:24 AM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
C204 C250-CDI
I have very particular tastes. (more like 1st world problems actually). So far I like Honda Pilot, GLK, C350, s5/rs5, escalade. I have a hard time getting into sedans since doors are smaller. Had trouble getting into the new 3series BMW. I got stuck inside a 370z convertible. Had to crawl out.

Issue is that one car feels more futuristic than the other even though they are based on the same platform.
Can only deduct from above that I think the GLK will be more suited to you, even though you like all those other types as well
Old 05-02-2012, 03:37 AM

save money and go with the glk, who needs a c class coupe. it's not like a cls550 coupe or cl550, nothing special about c class coupes.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:38 AM

VW Golf MKVI 118TSI and C250 CDI Coupe (on order)
Originally Posted by AV1
Can only deduct from above that I think the GLK will be more suited to you, even though you like all those other types as well
Lol
Old 05-02-2012, 09:06 AM

2012 C250 Sports Sedan, 2006 AMG E55
Since I purchased a BMW and now a Mercedes, Im amazed by the spoon feed children we have in this country. I mean I came from a well to do family but my parents never bought me or offered to pay half of a brand new Mercedes Benz . And I think that I am a better man for that, I would suggest that you purchase the C class coupe if its your own funds. Welcome to Manhood
Old 05-02-2012, 10:16 AM

Honda Civic
Don't worry guys, I didn't come up with the idea that the GLK was more sporty than the coupe; Mercedes Benz Canada did that by giving the GLK shift paddles and dynamic handling while they ripped it out of the C350 coupe. (One person here from Canada claims to have shift paddles in his car, but that is yet to be verified).
Old 05-02-2012, 02:21 PM
gei

C350 Coupe
calling an SUV sporty is like calling a ferrari practical
Old 05-02-2012, 02:38 PM

Honda Civic
Originally Posted by gei
calling an SUV sporty is like calling a ferrari practical
Once again, MB is calling it that by giving the GLK 350 shift paddles and dynamic handling while taking it away from the C350 coupe.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
Originally Posted by StuttgartUSA
Since I purchased a BMW and now a Mercedes, Im amazed by the spoon feed children we have in this country. I mean I came from a well to do family but my parents never bought me or offered to pay half of a brand new Mercedes Benz . And I think that I am a better man for that, I would suggest that you purchase the C class coupe if its your own funds. Welcome to Manhood
I don't think I would necessarily agree with this statement. You don't really know who pays for their cars and who doesn't... You can only assume. I for one, pay for all my vehicles, and had a 2008 G37 Coupe, 2009 C300 4matic, and now a 2012 C250 Coupe, an I'm still only 21. I think the big thing is that leasing allows these cars to be much easier to attain, especially by the youth. However, I do agree that some (if not most) have been given everything, and I think that they are missing out on a valuable lesson that people who work and pay for everything they have gain... On the flip side, I'm also probably jealous!
Old 05-02-2012, 06:24 PM

VW Golf MKVI 118TSI and C250 CDI Coupe (on order)
Originally Posted by jctevere
I don't think I would necessarily agree with this statement. You don't really know who pays for their cars and who doesn't... You can only assume. I for one, pay for all my vehicles, and had a 2008 G37 Coupe, 2009 C300 4matic, and now a 2012 C250 Coupe, an I'm still only 21. I think the big thing is that leasing allows these cars to be much easier to attain, especially by the youth. However, I do agree that some (if not most) have been given everything, and I think that they are missing out on a valuable lesson that people who work and pay for everything they have gain... On the flip side, I'm also probably jealous!
There is a certain value to reaping the benefits of your own work and we grow in responsibility and accountability for that. I'm 23 and purchased my own c coupe/bought my own house despite my parents offering to help.

Having said this, it's a matter of personal preference and means so I don't think we can judge others' circumstances.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:23 PM

C350 Coupe

If you are young and single get the GLK and you can be old married and with a kid. Get the coupe and enjoy your life.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:36 PM

2012 c250 coupe
Maybe Mom and Dad want there little boy to be driving a safe SUV as opposed to a sport coupe. Don't take it personally, I don't care either way.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 c250 Coupe

S5! RS5 if you can wait!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How do you feel about the GLK being more advanced/sporty than the coupe?