Australia: C250 Coupe adds AMG Visuals & Handling

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 04:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Audi A4 Quattro 2013
Cool Australia: C250 Coupe adds AMG Visuals & Handling

A new Mercedes-Benz C250 Sport model is bringing some AMG performance magic to the coupe version of the German car maker’s volume-selling model.

A pair of C250 Sport coupe models will make their debut at the upcoming 2012 Sydney motor show, introducing equipment and handling upgrades for both the four-cylinder petrol C250 and four-cylinder diesel C250 CDI.

Full article: http://www.caradvice.com.au/196057/m...uals-handling/

I'll quote myself from another thread:
Originally Posted by anonymousmoose
...I realised a coupe isn't the car for me. I am truly a sedan person. I didn't really like the hight of the doors and the sedan also feels more open. All personal preferences I know, I still like the couple but not for me, I'll stick with sedans.
But after reading that article I take it back... I think I want that particular C250 . There's something appealing about having the AMG upgrades on a C class which are not just cosmetic (speaking from experience, one does notice the difference). If they bring this out on the sedan version I'd probably be inclined to liking the sedan more... but it makes brilliant sense to add this to the coupe.

The price, $78,050AU, also isn't too bad considering the package, but is it just a standard C250 with the AMG Performance Package & AMG Sports Package? The AMG Sports Package retails for $4150 but I am unsure of the AMG Performance Package, so I'm not able to work out the total. If the total did come to $8150, then I don't see much difference between this Sports Edition vs an optioned standard.

BUT! does this Sports Edition even have the AMG Performance Package that increases the output to 358 kW? The article says nothing on this.

Because if it does not have the addition power, why not just do the following:
Buy C250: $69,990
AMG Sports Package: $4,150
Total: $74,050-
Yet considering the artile does indicate it has the high-performance brakes, which is part of the AMG Performance Package, maybe it does have the extra umpf too?

When Mercedes did this in 2005/2006 with the C200 Kompressor [sedan], they added things like Bi-xenon headlamps, Sunroof and LOT OF other equipment (see the link following)... be interesting to see if this Sports Edition will be on-par, equipment wise, in comparison yesteryears Sports Edition (that's the one I proudly drive). http://www.autoweb.com.au/cms/A_1046...wsarticle.html

Last edited by anonymousmoose; 10-19-2012 at 05:20 AM.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:30 AM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts
C204 C250-CDI
anonymousmoose, this is the AMG sport plus package option C250 variant discussed on previous threads, I've still got the same questions as back then

The sedan variant has been here for a little while already, I checked out a C250CGI at Barloworld MB about a month ago, it had the new style wheels and black with red stitching interior.

O/S markets like the UK have had it available for a longer time.

IMHO I'm not a fan of the cosmetic updates, don't like the wheels at all, but I am a fan of some of the mechanical upgrades it's meant to offer, such as quicker shifts with rev matching downshifts for the auto and better throttle response from the engine, the front disk brakes are also meant to be bigger.

I'm yet to see or to have read a proper comparo to see if these mechanical upgrades especially the quicker shifts and engine response are better than the current standard AMG package vehicles and if it brakes and handles better.

I'll be trying to find out if some of these upgrades are software only related and if so can they be upgraded to existing vehicles ??

P.S I think the above mention of power output of 358kw relates to the C63 model.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Audi A4 Quattro 2013
Originally Posted by AV1
P.S I think the above mention of power output of 358kw relates to the C63 model.
That would make sense; meaning the AMG Performance Package option IS the C63... so why is this car about $8000 more expensive than the base model when the AMG Sports Package costs $74,050-

Last edited by anonymousmoose; 10-19-2012 at 10:08 AM.
Old 10-21-2012, 07:36 PM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts
C204 C250-CDI
Originally Posted by anonymousmoose
That would make sense; meaning the AMG Performance Package option IS the C63... so why is this car about $8000 more expensive than the base model when the AMG Sports Package costs $74,050-
AFAIK this new optional AMG package for the C250's is called AMG 'performance plus' package option as opposed to just 'AMG package' option.

I'm not sure about the pricing, next time I drop into my dealer I'll find out some more on the whole thing, but it might be worthwhile checking out the MB Aust. dealership website as all the pricing and options info should be there

Regarding the C63 it has different AMG options compared to the basic coupe variants and those are listed separately.