250 vs 350

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 12:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
Hopefully I can shed some light onto this topic and provide you all with great insight. (By the way, the majority of C300/C250 videos on YouTube are mine, including the ones referenced in this thread). First let me explain what background/drive time I have:

My first car was a 2008 G37S Coupe, it was fully loaded with every package besides the 4-wheel steering (almost impossible to find). The car was a fantastic performance machine. The exhaust note, downshift rev matching, the pin your back into the seat experience was just amazing. But there were a few big issues:
1) The suspension was "too sporty", especially for my commute/highway driving. On the 19" rims potholes were bone jarring and the car quickly became a rattle box before my 24 months with the car were over.
2) The 5-speed automatic transmission was only good for one thing: Flooring the car from a dead-stop. On the highway the transmission was just garbage, if you were cruising and then floored it you definitely didn't feel like you were in a 330hp car.
3) The car didn't take beatings very well and SUCKED on MPG. I am a VERY hard driver, so even though I rack up mileage on the highway (20k/year) I commonly go WOT and take highway ramps like I'm about to drift it. The car was definitely showing signs of wear. I needed to replace the summer tires at 12k miles, needed brakes at 20k, had the resonator replaced due to rattle, the transmission shifted roughly, and there was one week I averaged 9 mpg...

Those were my biggest gripes with the car, but I believe that the new 7-speed transmission is MUCH better and hopefully durability and fuel economy has improved due to it.

------
My next vehicle was a 2009 C300 4Matic. Power was definitely down from the G37, especially from a dig or drag race you could tell. However, pinning the car on the highway, it felt just as fast (okay, not just as fast, but pretty darn close) as my prior G37. But there was a definite desire to make the car faster. As an N/A platform there wasn't much to do. I did an x-pipe and K&N intake and that definitely made it "feel" faster, but it wasn't actually much faster, but did improve responsiveness and made the drive fun.

I then had a desire for even louder/more aggressive exhaust, so I did a x-pipe and removed the mufflers. VERY loud, car felt and sounded very strong and aggressive (again, see videos on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/jctevere/videos?view=0)

I was very pleased with the car. Definitely not the red-light racer that my G37 Coupe was, but a fun car none the less. Best of all the car still drove like it did when it was brand new, I averaged 22 mpg over the 2 years I had the car, never needed new tires or brakes and the car had no problems for the 45k miles I put on it.

Funny enough I came across a G37 coupe that (presumably was a 2008 with 5-speed auto) on the service highway with my C300. We both went WOT from a 30-40 mph/ish roll and I kept up with him (for the most part) until about 70mph, at which point he started to pull ahead, by 100mph he was at least a full car length or two in front and I pulled off.

----

When it came time for a new car I was decided on the C-Class coupe, but I too had a tough time choosing the C250 of the C350. Since I was used to the C300's power, I decided a C250 would certainly be ample. I was also enticed by the fact that the C250 could provide 30mpg and what sealed the deal for me was that my dealer gave me such a great deal that I pay what you would pay to lease an altima for a $44k car.

The gripes: E mode is ridiculous, the car automatically starts in it. Whoever decided this and created E-mode should be shot and hung. With that said, when you're on the highway and switch to E-mode you do get amazing MPG (much higher than EPA estimates).

Shortly after getting the car I got the Burger Motorsports tune and intake. I also removed factory exhaust and did a custom setup with a single magnapack muffler after the cat, y-piped from there to the quad exhaust tips and C63 diffuser. I then bumped the tune up to 100%. The 0-60 video of my C250 with the mods was not the "best" results. Since then I have properly installed it (removed battery and let ECU reset) and have gotten much better results. My best run now is 5.8 seconds 0-60 with wind going my direction on level surface.

I absolutely love the car, it withstands my beatings, I can get upwards of 42mpg on the highway, after the tune and intake E-mode is better, but still boring, and S-mode is even more fun. Is this car a red light racer? No, not against v6'ers like G37, 335. But it is a genuinely fun car that is also extremely practical.

I believe that with the right modifications a C250 can be just as, if not sportier or more fun then a C350. Especially considering you can now get Sports Package Plus which gives you AMG tuned suspension, better brakes, revised transmission with downshift rev matching and more. Not to mention that mods are MUCH easier and performance is only going to get better with higher stages or "real tunes" and intercoolers, bigger turbos, etc.

The only thing I miss is that I wish I could have gotten 4matic (live in the snowbelt, and prefer awd driving characteristics). With that said, I will essentially sum up this LONG article in a few closing statements:

If you need 4Matic, get the C350 - duh

Now for those that don't need 4matic:

- If you like the instant power of a v6, having stock setups, not want to be bothered with modding, and a fun and sporty all around great car, get the C350.

- If you are open to trying something new, willing to modify your car, and want a car that is "bipolar" with amazing practicality and efficiency, yet also sportier handling and a funner ride, with the possibility of greater performance - go with the C250.

Last edited by jctevere; 11-08-2012 at 12:35 AM.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 G37s coupe, '12 C350coupe
Originally Posted by jctevere
Hopefully I can shed some light onto this topic and provide you all with great insight. (By the way, the majority of C300/C250 videos on YouTube are mine, including the ones referenced in this thread). First let me explain what background/drive time I have:

My first car was a 2008 G37S Coupe, it was fully loaded with every package besides the 4-wheel steering (almost impossible to find). The car was a fantastic performance machine. The exhaust note, downshift rev matching, the pin your back into the seat experience was just amazing. But there were a few big issues:
1) The suspension was "too sporty", especially for my commute/highway driving. On the 19" rims potholes were bone jarring and the car quickly became a rattle box before my 24 months with the car were over.
2) The 5-speed automatic transmission was only good for one thing: Flooring the car from a dead-stop. On the highway the transmission was just garbage, if you were cruising and then floored it you definitely didn't feel like you were in a 330hp car.
3) The car didn't take beatings very well and SUCKED on MPG. I am a VERY hard driver, so even though I rack up mileage on the highway (20k/year) I commonly go WOT and take highway ramps like I'm about to drift it. The car was definitely showing signs of wear. I needed to replace the summer tires at 12k miles, needed brakes at 20k, had the resonator replaced due to rattle, the transmission shifted roughly, and there was one week I averaged 9 mpg...

Those were my biggest gripes with the car, but I believe that the new 7-speed transmission is MUCH better and hopefully durability and fuel economy has improved due to it.

------
My next vehicle was a 2009 C300 4Matic. Power was definitely down from the G37, especially from a dig or drag race you could tell. However, pinning the car on the highway, it felt just as fast (okay, not just as fast, but pretty darn close) as my prior G37. But there was a definite desire to make the car faster. As an N/A platform there wasn't much to do. I did an x-pipe and K&N intake and that definitely made it "feel" faster, but it wasn't actually much faster, but did improve responsiveness and made the drive fun.

I then had a desire for even louder/more aggressive exhaust, so I did a x-pipe and removed the mufflers. VERY loud, car felt and sounded very strong and aggressive (again, see videos on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/jctevere/videos?view=0)

I was very pleased with the car. Definitely not the red-light racer that my G37 Coupe was, but a fun car none the less. Best of all the car still drove like it did when it was brand new, I averaged 22 mpg over the 2 years I had the car, never needed new tires or brakes and the car had no problems for the 45k miles I put on it.

Funny enough I came across a G37 coupe that (presumably was a 2008 with 5-speed auto) on the service highway with my C300. We both went WOT from a 30-40 mph/ish roll and I kept up with him (for the most part) until about 70mph, at which point he started to pull ahead, by 100mph he was at least a full car length or two in front and I pulled off.

----

When it came time for a new car I was decided on the C-Class coupe, but I too had a tough time choosing the C250 of the C350. Since I was used to the C300's power, I decided a C250 would certainly be ample. I was also enticed by the fact that the C250 could provide 30mpg and what sealed the deal for me was that my dealer gave me such a great deal that I pay what you would pay to lease an altima for a $44k car.

The gripes: E mode is ridiculous, the car automatically starts in it. Whoever decided this and created E-mode should be shot and hung. With that said, when you're on the highway and switch to E-mode you do get amazing MPG (much higher than EPA estimates).

Shortly after getting the car I got the Burger Motorsports tune and intake. I also removed factory exhaust and did a custom setup with a single magnapack muffler after the cat, y-piped from there to the quad exhaust tips and C63 diffuser. I then bumped the tune up to 100%. The 0-60 video of my C250 with the mods was not the "best" results. Since then I have properly installed it (removed battery and let ECU reset) and have gotten much better results. My best run now is 5.8 seconds 0-60 with wind going my direction on level surface.

I absolutely love the car, it withstands my beatings, I can get upwards of 42mpg on the highway, after the tune and intake E-mode is better, but still boring, and S-mode is even more fun. Is this car a red light racer? No, not against v6'ers like G37, 335. But it is a genuinely fun car that is also extremely practical.

I believe that with the right modifications a C250 can be just as, if not sportier or more fun then a C350. Especially considering you can now get Sports Package Plus which gives you AMG tuned suspension, better brakes, revised transmission with downshift rev matching and more. Not to mention that mods are MUCH easier and performance is only going to get better with higher stages or "real tunes" and intercoolers, bigger turbos, etc.

The only thing I miss is that I wish I could have gotten 4matic (live in the snowbelt, and prefer awd driving characteristics). With that said, I will essentially sum up this LONG article in a few closing statements:

If you need 4Matic, get the C350 - duh

Now for those that don't need 4matic:

- If you like the instant power of a v6, having stock setups, not want to be bothered with modding, and a fun and sporty all around great car, get the C350.

- If you are open to trying something new, willing to modify your car, and want a car that is "bipolar" with amazing practicality and efficiency, yet also sportier handling and a funner ride, with the possibility of greater performance - go with the C250.
good write up, glad you're working wonders with the 250

i think the thing that gets to me most is the lack of accessible power the when i need it in these cars. press gas, sit and wait, rpm goes up and car doesnt budge until moments later (especially in E mode as you mentioned). i'd be the happiest driver alive had these cars come stickshift
Old 11-08-2012, 01:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C250 Coupe
Originally Posted by MaDd
good write up, glad you're working wonders with the 250

i think the thing that gets to me most is the lack of accessible power the when i need it in these cars. press gas, sit and wait, rpm goes up and car doesnt budge until moments later (especially in E mode as you mentioned). i'd be the happiest driver alive had these cars come stickshift
Thanks for the compliments!

It was merely a product of having no power the last week, no work, and nothing better to do besides write a mini-novel. lol

E-mode is annoying, but great for when you're already moving like on the highway. S-mode really does change things up, especially with the tune and intake it gets MUCH better. Almost zero lag.

My brother has a stock C250 coupe and when my Dad drove my car and then his car, he told me brother that something must be wrong with his car because there is a throttle lag and mine doesn't have it!
Old 11-13-2012, 12:33 PM

Received 84 Likes on 64 Posts
X3 M40i
Thanks for the compliments!

It was merely a product of having no power the last week, no work, and nothing better to do besides write a mini-novel. lol

E-mode is annoying, but great for when you're already moving like on the highway. S-mode really does change things up, especially with the tune and intake it gets MUCH better. Almost zero lag.

My brother has a stock C250 coupe and when my Dad drove my car and then his car, he told me brother that something must be wrong with his car because there is a throttle lag and mine doesn't have it!
Jctevere - You are at 100% on tune? hmmmm. How long have you been running at 100% and are you having any problems? I want to turn my tune up to 100% but I haven't had a chance to do my exhaust mods so I am hesitant. You think I should wait until after the exhaust mod or try it out?
Old 11-17-2012, 02:17 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2018 E300 Lux, 2006 Corvette Z51, 2015 Mercedes ML350 (wife's)
I wanted to chime back in on this thread. I chose the c250 over the c350 and I'm perfectly happy with my decision over the first couple of weeks. I've no doubt that the c350 has more power and may be a better car overall but the c250 is so capable that I'm very happy I didn't spend the extra $150 per month to lease one (even though I CAN afford it).

Just food for thought for anyone looking to make a decision. Unlike others who find it necessary to **** on the c250, I'm not saying anything bad at all about the c350. I'm just saying that I'm extremely happy with my choice.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 C204
Since then I have properly installed it (removed battery and let ECU reset) and have gotten much better results. My best run now is 5.8 seconds 0-60 with wind going my direction on level surface.
How did you do that? Cause I just installed the tune on my 2013 and I didn't turn off the battery or anything like that. I'm curious to know how you got it to work better and what kind of difference you felt??
Old 11-17-2012, 06:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 c250 Coupe
Originally Posted by Igor1080
How did you do that? Cause I just installed the tune on my 2013 and I didn't turn off the battery or anything like that. I'm curious to know how you got it to work better and what kind of difference you felt??
Removing the negative terminal from the battery for 10 minutes will reset the ECU, which is what you should do if you install the BMS Tune. Lets the ECU get a fresh start with tune. Many people are getting limp mode with tune, so this mostly fixes it or at least you will get limp mode less often. Also, seems to smooth out any jerkyness.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:15 PM

2013 C204
Originally Posted by Kevin82
Removing the negative terminal from the battery for 10 minutes will reset the ECU, which is what you should do if you install the BMS Tune. Lets the ECU get a fresh start with tune. Many people are getting limp mode with tune, so this mostly fixes it or at least you will get limp mode less often. Also, seems to smooth out any jerkyness.
Just did the reset. I'm not sure if the car was faster before now lol. The 2013 models do have a good bit of speed to them off the lot. Definitely no slouch, but with the tune I notice the turbo's straining everytime I go off the line. I'm gonna try and compare it when I can.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C250 Coupe
Originally Posted by DameMD
Jctevere - You are at 100% on tune? hmmmm. How long have you been running at 100% and are you having any problems? I want to turn my tune up to 100% but I haven't had a chance to do my exhaust mods so I am hesitant. You think I should wait until after the exhaust mod or try it out?
I've been running it at 100% pretty much since the intake was released (not sure when that was off the top of my head, but I'd say early summer). It has its drawbacks though. Sometimes when you "get on" the car abruptly without WOT, you could get an annoying lurching motion forward and back and need to let off the gas and then you can get back on. It's DEFINITELY sporty, but could be TOO sporty for everyday driving for some people. You could try it and if you don't like it, switch back. I would do the negative battery terminal reset again after changing settings.

Also something to note, during Hurricane Sandy I was forced to fill up on regular 87 octane gas. Friggin terrible, lag was bad, power was down, and I hit overboost a few times (very easily) - compared to rarely ever hitting overboost on 93 octane. So needless to say I quickly picked up some octane booster.

Also, I have found that "cheap" gasoline (even though its 93 octane), for some reason makes the car act funny and is more prone to overboost. I'm talking about places like "USA" gas, non-brand name stations. Which is funny, because all gas should be the same, just the additives are different...

I dislike Citgo, Mobil is pretty good, I use Sunoco religiously though and have great results. It makes the best power for me, rarely ever get overboost when using it, and MPG is great. I have yet to try out Shell V-Power 93 octane, perhaps I will as I have heard good things. Unfortunately one of the only few Shell stations near me demand nearly another 30-40 cents/gallon for 93 octane over Sunoco's 93 octane.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:41 AM

C350 Coupe
The OP is a prospect buyer, let's keep him updated with real facts. The c250 sports suspension is an option on the c250, and for 2013 not standard on the c350. Sport handling package is an option for both cars unless he is going for a 2012 c350. Build a c coupe on mbusa.com

Also, are you talking about the vented rotors or brakes? I have ventilated disk rotors standard on my c250. Quite frankly, both the brakes on c250 and c350 are garbage. Thats why I upgraded my pads and so have my friends with their c350 coupe and sedan.

Tuning costs is pretty low for the i4 at the moment. If you are getting technical, the 2012 c350 has 273lbs of torque available @3500rpms -5500rpms. My BMS tune with intake on my c250 has 275lbs. The c250 taps into it's torque at @2000-4000rpms, I get to my torque band faster with the c250, and with my tune lag is completely gone for me in sport mode. I need torque around town for city driving. I paid $199 for this tune and $110 for intake. The horsepower is still low but thats not a concern for me driving in the city 95% of my time. That's pretty cheap for a tune...

Again it all depends on what the OP wants, start off with a I4 for base engine or v6. Also, the 4matic can only be had on the v6 version.

One more thing, not everyone wants c63 quad tips on their c250 or c350. Just as many c350 people are doing the quad tips as the c250 people. I WILL NOT do this mod as I think quad tips on a non amg model benz looks horrible and doesn't benefit much.
Why spend all this time and money trying to get the power you want? Just buy the 350 in the first place.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:25 PM

Jetta 1.8T
i dont understand why someone will buy a C250 and put in aftermarket products (tuning and an air intake) to make the car a little bit faster? its obvious people have money to spend so why not just buy a little bit faster car from factory(C350) and call it a day.

I love it when people say i have a C250 that i love soo much but i had to do some work to it to make it go faster... hmm guys your not driving honda civics. We drive luxury (not the top of the line ,but non the less ) cars. If you guys want some seriously fast car then save up for an AMG and call it a day.

a C250 Vs a C350 they both have their ups and downs. Its up to the OP to go test out both and figure out which one they prefer. end of story

someone please close this thread, its getting ridiculous.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C250 Coupe
Originally Posted by roger_C350
i dont understand why someone will buy a C250 and put in aftermarket products (tuning and an air intake) to make the car a little bit faster? its obvious people have money to spend so why not just buy a little bit faster car from factory(C350) and call it a day.

I love it when people say i have a C250 that i love soo much but i had to do some work to it to make it go faster... hmm guys your not driving honda civics. We drive luxury (not the top of the line ,but non the less ) cars. If you guys want some seriously fast car then save up for an AMG and call it a day.

a C250 Vs a C350 they both have their ups and downs. Its up to the OP to go test out both and figure out which one they prefer. end of story

I don't understand why you feel this thread should be closed or how its "getting ridiculous". For $300 and about 30 minutes of install time I got my C250 to provide speeds just as fast 0-60 as a C350 (5.8 seconds). Not to mention that even though EPA estimates peg these cars similarly when it comes to MPG, you will get much better real world MPG on the C250. I am able to attain as high as 42 MPG roundtrip (mostly highway) in my C250 - impossible in a C350.

Additionally, the C250 can be modified to be even faster then a C350 could ever be. By dropping in a bigger turbo and modifying the exhaust piping, for the price differential between a C250 and a C350 you will have a substantially faster vehicle...

Then, there is always the camp of people who enjoy modifying their vehicles. I had a modified C300 prior and I don't miss a v6. I love the turbo and BOV sounds of the C250 and the exhaust sounds NOTHING like a civic.

At the end of the day it all comes down to what you "want" out of your car. I didn't modify my C250 with dreams of beating or becoming a C63, I modified it because I wanted a fuel efficient daily driver, that is also fun to drive.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:35 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2018 E300 Lux, 2006 Corvette Z51, 2015 Mercedes ML350 (wife's)
Originally Posted by accce
Why spend all this time and money trying to get the power you want? Just buy the 350 in the first place.

Maybe my post got buried in the thread so I will say it again. Some of us are VERY happy with the C250 as is. Will I mod it? Maybe. But let's face it neither version is a true sports car. When I want to have fun I go to my other garage bay and hop in my mint z3 Roadster. Lets see a 350 keep up with that in the curves
Old 11-19-2012, 12:55 AM

Jetta 1.8T
i applaud you for having a "mint" z3 roadster and i cant tell you how much i would love to hear how fast you go around a track. to the other post regarding the modified a C300 i applaud you as well.

I think you miss understood me when i mentioned that the C250 will sound like a civic or what not. I am saying the C250s are built to mercedes benz spec and they are not cheap to repair like Hondas. If a part blows on a Honda it wont cost you over $500 to repair unlike a hydraulic motor mount on a mercedes which costs enough without factoring in the labor.

You blow a motor on a mercedes benz and they figure out that you have toyed with the ECU and the like, kiss your warranty good bye and go find yourself a Honda to play with.

if anyone wants to go and start playing with your motor by replacing parts to make to go faster and the like, by all means have fun and enjoy it.

and as to why i mentioned a C63, is because if one has the money to burn on a new tune, new turbo, new turbo back exhaust and then dyno tune a car and probably rebuild the motor(pistons, head studs, bore out the motor, change the bottom end, rebuild a transmission and the like) then one could save and get a C63, which is out of the box a beautiful and ridiculous fast car, with warranty.

TO EACH THEIR OWN WHEN IT COMES YOUR PURCHASES.

If the OP wants to buy a C250 then go get a C250, if the OP wants to go buy a C350 then go buy a C350. Go test drive the car you want and figure out whats right for you.

the C250 has its ups and downs. the C350 has its ups and downs. Its up to the OP to figure out what they will like. We can say all we want about these 2 types of cars but in the end ,go test drive them.

Last edited by roger_C350; 11-19-2012 at 01:14 AM.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:37 AM

213 C250 Coupe
Of course C350 is better, but I like my slow C250 just the way it is, although I wish I could have gotten one with keyless go and lighting package.

If I wanted over 400whp, I would have kept my old N54 with JB3, down pipe, and exhaust. 17mpg

Last edited by kkd79; 11-19-2012 at 01:43 AM.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:45 AM

Jetta 1.8T
there is a car in those pics .....
Old 11-19-2012, 11:43 AM

X3 M40i
Originally Posted by kkd79
If I wanted over 400whp, I would have kept my old N54 with JB3, down pipe, and exhaust. 17mpg
Enjoy your C250!! And since you are into modding (135 with BMS JB3) then you will enjoy the c250 with BMS JB Beta. The company that made the JB3 tune also makes a tune for our c250.

I think you miss understood me when i mentioned that the C250 will sound like a civic or what not. I am saying the C250s are built to mercedes benz spec and they are not cheap to repair like Hondas. If a part blows on a Honda it wont cost you over $500 to repair unlike a hydraulic motor mount on a mercedes which costs enough without factoring in the labor.

You blow a motor on a mercedes benz and they figure out that you have toyed with the ECU and the like, kiss your warranty good bye and go find yourself a Honda to play with.

if anyone wants to go and start playing with your motor by replacing parts to make to go faster and the like, by all means have fun and enjoy it.

and as to why i mentioned a C63, is because if one has the money to burn on a new tune, new turbo, new turbo back exhaust and then dyno tune a car and probably rebuild the motor(pistons, head studs, bore out the motor, change the bottom end, rebuild a transmission and the like) then one could save and get a C63, which is out of the box a beautiful and ridiculous fast car, with warranty.
LMFAO... You c350 owners kill me about why do this or why do that to your car. Have you people ever been to the other MB forums? From E class to CLS to SL to ML, people in the other MB forums modify their cars. No matter if it's $40,000 or $150,000 it's called preference. IF you c350 people are satisfied with your 3.5 engine then be it . Some people just like modifying cars and can give a rats *** about warranty or service. Even the c63 people are looking for more power and a lot of them have the PP performance package. I have had my car serviced 3 times at my local MB dealer and they know I have the tune on my car. If the tune is the cause of any mechanical function, NO MB will not fix my car however, if the tune did not affect the error or problem of the car then MB will fix the problem. You are giving out false information. My dealer supports Renntech and Brabus modifications too.

This forum is to enlighten people on C coupe purchases, modifications and DIY along with technical stuff. There will be people that mod, and some people who don't care about stuff like that. Stop bashing the c250 people who like to mod. None of the other MB forums do you see people bash the smaller engine models, or people who like to modify their cars. I swear the c350 people are acting like they own e550s, cls550s and sl550s. The c250 is my daily commuter, I have other cars in my stable with v8s. I wanted a 4cyl engine, with turbo. If the new 328 bmw 2.0 turbo was out when I was shopping, I would have bought that car.

Also, for measily $300 dollars for tune and intake, the c250 is almost equal to c350 in performance. When the stage 2 software comes out, I would LAUGH if the c250 performance will be greater than a c350. Talk about bang for your bucks, and not paying the extra $5000 for a c350 along with extra $$$ a month in payments.

Last edited by DameMD; 11-19-2012 at 11:50 AM.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:55 PM

Jetta 1.8T
I am wondering how did i ever come across as a person that is "bashing" on C250 drivers/owners? all i am saying, since not everyone likes to modify their cars, is IF you want more power from factory get either a C350 or if ones finances may permit get a C63 amg.

Once again congratulations on having other V8's in your stable. How does that have any merit onto the discussion that is going on? You want to buy an economical car then go buy a toyota hybrid if you want to brag about you owning an economical car.

Apparently the C350 drivers just love to hate on C250's WHICH IS NOT THE CASE. People buy cars that one wants to buy. If i could afford a Bugatti Veyron then i will get one.

All i am saying both cars have their ups and downs. The C250 has better gas mileage as opposed to the C350. The C350 has more HP than the C250 (OUT OF THE BOX). If tuning a car is ones preference then get a C250 because it is apparently really easy to make it go faster for cheap.

The whole idea about warranty. Any dealership will start to give their customers headaches when it comes to placing aftermarket products in their cars and they will start blaming everything on the aftermarket parts for whatever reason. If one wants to start playing around with their vehicles get a car that is some what used and go at it. Why start tinkering around a brand new car. This is just my honest opinion.

and one last item, if one can afford the parts from Renntech and Brabus then you really dont have problem paying for anything that goes wrong with ones car.

Last edited by roger_C350; 11-19-2012 at 01:57 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:52 PM

X3 M40i
I am wondering how did i ever come across as a person that is "bashing" on C250 drivers/owners? all i am saying, since not everyone likes to modify their cars, is IF you want more power from factory get either a C350 or if ones finances may permit get a C63 amg.

Once again congratulations on having other V8's in your stable. How does that have any merit onto the discussion that is going on? You want to buy an economical car then go buy a toyota hybrid if you want to brag about you owning an economical car.

Apparently the C350 drivers just love to hate on C250's WHICH IS NOT THE CASE. People buy cars that one wants to buy. If i could afford a Bugatti Veyron then i will get one.

All i am saying both cars have their ups and downs. The C250 has better gas mileage as opposed to the C350. The C350 has more HP than the C250 (OUT OF THE BOX). If tuning a car is ones preference then get a C250 because it is apparently really easy to make it go faster for cheap.

The whole idea about warranty. Any dealership will start to give their customers headaches when it comes to placing aftermarket products in their cars and they will start blaming everything on the aftermarket parts for whatever reason. If one wants to start playing around with their vehicles get a car that is some what used and go at it. Why start tinkering around a brand new car. This is just my honest opinion.

and one last item, if one can afford the parts from Renntech and Brabus then you really dont have problem paying for anything that goes wrong with ones car.
SMFH...OMFG you c350 owners are not getting it at all, LETS STAY ON TOPIC.

Let's start over since you c350 guys forgot the original question. The Original Poster (OP) asked how much quicker is the C350 over the c250. He/her did not ask how the car handled or is the c350 a better choice than the c250. This is not a pissing contest or who has bigger ***** which is the reason we c250 owners are getting so defensive.

MB states the c250 is 7.1 0-60 and the c350 is 5.9 0-60. If you are fine with the 1 sec difference then there you go. If you think the c250 is slow, then you can buy a cheap $300 tune and intake, and you can make the c250 just as fast 0-60 as a c350. end of discussion.

I think if everyone answered the question instead of bashing the car then this thread would have been somewhat helpful/useful. We don't even know if the OP does or does not like modifying cars. OBVIOUSLY the OP is concerned about speed so there is an option for him if he decides to buy the c250 instead of the c350. Out the box the c350 is faster by one sec.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:29 PM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts
C204 C250-CDI
Originally Posted by kkd79
Of course C350 is better, but I like my slow C250 just the way it is, although I wish I could have gotten one with keyless go and lighting package.

Very Nice !!!

Oh and the car too
Old 11-19-2012, 09:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C250 Coupe
@KKD79: what the heck are all those stickers above your mercedes-benz sticker on your windshield?!?!

@Roger_C350: You come off as if you're putting down C250 owners when you say ignorant stuff like, "I love it when people say i have a C250 that i love soo much but i had to do some work to it to make it go faster... hmm guys your not driving honda civics. We drive luxury (not the top of the line, but non the less) cars. If you guys want some seriously fast car then save up for an AMG and call it a day."

Its not that we're trying to get some "seriously fast" car, or even want an AMg or near that performance. Getting the tune is not as serious as you make it seem. First, the Tune is a piggy back, not an ECU reflash, so I always remove it before heading to the dealer for service and would DEFINITELY remove it if I had a problem. So it is virtually un-detectable.

Secondly, its not like the tune by-passes current ECU safety parameters. You will still get over boost cut-off if ECU detects boost that is too high, preventing damage. Its only a stage 1 tune and I think the only ones who are even contemplating replacing turbo's or doing serious work or putting serious money into the car are companies that are trying project cars. Not to mention, even if they did release a kit it would probably only cost $2-3k - WELL below the price of a C63 (more in line with C350).

At the end of the day, we're just trying to unlock the full potential of the engine and are able to get the best of both worlds with well near the performance of a C350 combined with the lower price, higher fuel economy and sportier driving characteristics of a C250.

I wasn't mentioning my previously modified C300 because it was anything special. I only mentioned it to show how I had a v6 engine and quickly got bored with the limited modding capabilities. Aside from exhaust, tune, and intake (which gains virtually nothing on a N/A car) - there is not much else you can do. A turbocharged engine platform is much more enticing.

Last edited by jctevere; 11-19-2012 at 09:13 PM.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:13 PM

213 C250 Coupe
@KKD79: what the heck are all those stickers above your mercedes-benz sticker on your windshield?!?!
Temporary California registration sticker before license plates come.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 c250 Coupe

Just to clear things up, DameMD mentioned Renntech and Brabus to say that some dealers supports their mods. There aren't any mods available from them just yet for the c250.

The mods that everyone here is talking about that c250 owners are using is the Burger Motor Sports (BMS) "tune" that can be had for $279. Adds 20HP and 40 lbs. torque.

They also have an intake for $129 that adds 7-10 HP. These are really the only mods worth mentioning available in the USA.

Last edited by Kevin82; 11-20-2012 at 05:47 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:50 PM

2013 C204
If the new 328 bmw 2.0 turbo was out when I was shopping, I would have bought that car.
Ditto, F30 is super dope. I personally have a budget, I can't justify spending another $100+ per month for a c350 for absolutely no reason. It's not comparable to a 335 in terms of speed and that would be my car of choice if I were to spend the extra money, BMW just makes better drivers cars. My friend has a 350 and let me tell you the real world MPG on it is far worse than what I get with my 250. The difference in price is not going to make or break me but I can honestly tell you that I just wouldn't spend that much money on a Benz unless it had some serious hp to boot.

Comparing any of these cars to an AMG car is asinine. Not only in terms of price but also in terms of performance.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:54 PM

X3 M40i
Originally Posted by Igor1080
Ditto, F30 is super dope. I personally have a budget, I can't justify spending another $100+ per month for a c350 for absolutely no reason. It's not comparable to a 335 in terms of speed and that would be my car of choice if I were to spend the extra money, BMW just makes better drivers cars. My friend has a 350 and let me tell you the real world MPG on it is far worse than what I get with my 250. The difference in price is not going to make or break me but I can honestly tell you that I just wouldn't spend that much money on a Benz unless it had some serious hp to boot.

Comparing any of these cars to an AMG car is asinine. Not only in terms of price but also in terms of performance.
The 335i was my absolute choice when picking up a car in this segment however, I knew I would get in trouble with that car as there are too many modifications out there to make that car go much faster than stock. I knew the mod bug would hit me and I needed to slow down for a few years. The new 328i performance figures are underated by BMW and that car is a beast stock. I would be in that car right now. Just a year too late to the showroom. I am perfectly fine with the c250 for right now. I just wish MB hurries up and play catch up with engine displacement and power. If we can get a 2.0 turbo and at least 250hp+ and up the torque, MB will keep me when my lease is up. Even Infiniti is adding a turbo engine to the g-line.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 250 vs 350