c350 Factory Order Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLK 350 (soon I hope!)
c350 Factory Order Question

I have a question for those of you who have factory ordered a MB vehicle in the past. A local dealer has told me that he would have to factory order my 350 AWD coupe since there is not one with the exact specifications already built.

I asked him for the best deal he could offer me, and I was told that he could give me a small percent courtesy discount plus whatever incentives that are going on during the time the vehicle arrives (possibly in a couple or few months from now). Also I would need to lay down a $1000 deposit before they ordered it.

If the courtesy discount were a lot higher then I wouldn't mind so much but the discount off MSRP that I am being quoted right now is not all that spectacular.

Is this the normal process for a factory order car? I would rather know the full price now rather than hope that whatever incentives are going on will be something I want to pull the trigger on later. I have been told that I could get the deposit back if I were not happy with the incentives going on at that future time.

Any thoughts about this? I thought most people knew how much they would be paying for a vehicle before it is factory ordered. Am I wrong?

Edited to add: also if you did factory order your car, which model did you purchase?

Thanks for any insight in advance!

Last edited by GLKChick; 11-29-2012 at 10:53 AM.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:05 AM

2013 C350 Coupe
Originally Posted by GLKChick
I have a question for those of you who have factory ordered a MB vehicle in the past. A local dealer has told me that he would have to factory order my 350 AWD coupe since there is not one with the exact specifications already built.

I asked him for the best deal he could offer me, and I was told that he could give me a small percent courtesy discount plus whatever incentives that are going on during the time the vehicle arrives (possibly in a couple or few months from now). Also I would need to lay down a $1000 deposit before they ordered it.

If the courtesy discount were a lot higher then I wouldn't mind so much but the discount off MSRP that I am being quoted right now is not all that spectacular.

Is this the normal process for a factory order car? I would rather know the full price now rather than hope that whatever incentives are going on will be something I want to pull the trigger on later. I have been told that I could get the deposit back if I were not happy with the incentives going on at that future time.

Any thoughts about this? I thought most people knew how much they would be paying for a vehicle before it is factory ordered. Am I wrong?

Thanks for any insight in advance!
I did a factory order and got about 10% off MSRP. I had them give me a OTD price before I ordered. The sales person assured me that will be the price I will be paying when the car arrives. My dealer made me put a 10% non-refundable deposit for the order.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:14 AM

GLK 350 (soon I hope!)
Hi, Nautica.

Thank you for your reply. What is an OTD price? And which model and specs did you order specifically if you don't mind me asking? I ask because I wonder if this is a model specific issue.

Edited to add: okay never mind, I googled it...out the door price. But I still do wonder which vehicle you purchased this way.

Thanks again!

Last edited by GLKChick; 11-29-2012 at 10:20 AM.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:17 AM

2013 C350 Coupe
Hi, Nautica.

Thank you for your reply. What is an OTD price? And which model and specs did you order specifically if you don't mind me asking? I ask because I wonder if this is a model specific issue.

Thanks.
OTD = Out The Door. The final price including all fees and tax. I ordered the C350 Coupe w/ Dynamic Handling Pkg, Lighting Pkg, Multimedia Pkg, and Keyless Go.

Usually the sales person will check some database to see if a car with the specs you want is available anywhere. If not then you will have to order.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:23 AM

2013 E350
I just ordered a car last week and my experience was similar. I was able to get the car for 10% below MSRP plus whatever incentives are in place at time of delivery. I questioned why I would not receive the incentives in place at time of order and was told that that was not possible.

The dealer asked for 2K deposit in order to place the order. They called yesterday to tell me that my car will be produced in mid-December and delivered in mid-January. Now I just have to wait.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:36 AM

GLK 350 (soon I hope!)
I can't believe you guys both got at least 10% off MSRP. If I were being offered at least 10% off MSRP plus whatever incentives available upon arrival, I would be more okay with it.

Jbec and Nautica, did you guys have to push hard to get those numbers?

I feel like I am being repetitive with the dealer and am getting nowhere.

Perhaps, I should contact other dealers around here and get some additional quotes?

Do you think it would be best to tell the other dealers what I am already working with - the percent discount offered (much lower that what you guys got) and see if they can beat it or just ask them for their best offer? Or should I just tell them what discount I am looking for?

Edited to add: Jbec, did you factory order the coupe as well?

Thanks so much again.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:49 AM

2013 E350
I should have been clearer. I ordered a E350 Sedan.

I cold called the dealer and asked to speak to a salesman. I asked if what I wanted was available and when it was not, the salesman said to let him know if I wanted to order and he would make me a "really good" deal. A week or so later, I sent him an email and told him the configuration I was looking and he called me and told me the offer. No pushing, no hassle, just about perfect.

I went to see him a few days later and filled out the paperwork (order sheet, etc.) and left a deposit.

He told me that since I was out of their region and they looked at as a sale to someone they would normally never have the opportunity to do business with, he was able to be aggressive with the offer.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:55 AM

GLK 350 (soon I hope!)
Ah, thank you so much for sharing the specifics of your deal. That is really helpful! I assume when you called him you let him know that you were an out of towner? So he knew from the start you were not from that area? Perhaps that helped you get a good deal as well.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:01 AM

2013 E350
I did tell him during the initial call that I was out of the area. In fact, the dealership is about 250 miles from my home, but it is very near to where my parents live and since I travel home for Thanksgiving and Christmas, it was pretty convenient.

He was pretty clear that the deal he offered was because I was out of his region and the deal was much better than any of my local dealers were willing to offer. The best the local dealers were able to do was about 5% off, although when I pushed really hard, one local dealer offered just about 10% off including the incentives. I'm not sure how that was going to work unless they know what incentives are going to be available in January.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:31 AM

2013 C350 Coupe
I ended up e-mailing 3 local MB dealers with the exact specs I wanted and asked them to give me the best OTD price. I think I could have asked for more but I didn't want to wait much longer to order and get the car since my loan approval was good for 90 days and I have no car at the moment.

Also it seems my price is agreed on and even if any incentives at delivery I am not eligible. Or am I??
Old 11-29-2012, 11:33 AM

2013 E350
Originally Posted by NauticaX
Also it seems my price is agreed on and even if any incentives at delivery I am not eligible. Or am I??
Sounds like a good question to ask the dealer.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:37 AM

GLK 350 (soon I hope!)
Well, I just finished talking to a non local dealer, and I am waiting for him to get back to me with his best offer. Wow, this all takes a bit of effort, doesn't it? I think I may wait to hear back from him before calling another out of area dealer.

Nautica, that would be awesome if you got incentives on top of your agreed upon offer. Good luck. I hope you get it!
Old 11-29-2012, 11:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Well, I just finished talking to a non local dealer, and I am waiting for him to get back to me with his best offer. Wow, this all takes a bit of effort, doesn't it? I think I may wait to hear back from him before calling another out of area dealer.

Nautica, that would be awesome if you got incentives on top of your agreed upon offer. Good luck. I hope you get it!
This is about psychology, not economics. Once the dealer knew you wanted a specific car so much you were willing to wait for an order, he knew he had you. Somehow, you have to let him know you're ready to walk away and that you don't want the car that much. Walk in with a BMW catalog sticking out of your folder. He will try to maintain control of the deal and squeeze as much as possible out of you. He needs to believe he has to do more to achieve that and you're deciding maybe this isn't really what you want. When you get to the question of "what would it take to do this deal today", you are first starting the negotiation process. It's a game. Enjoy it. But, win!
Old 11-29-2012, 12:03 PM

GLK 350 (soon I hope!)
Sportstick, I find this more stressful than enjoyable at this point, but I will persevere.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
2013 C350 Coupe, 2005 C230K Kleemann Sedan, 2013 GLK350 4matic
I wound up with only $1500 off my MSRP of $51,500 C350. I put down $7500 cash plus I used my MBUSA $1000 loyalty certificate. Ohh...the dealer threw in the tint for free also.

I would have like to have had the 10 % off though ($5150)

Lucky you!

My care was ordered in July, Sept 7th build, and was delivered Oct 31st.

C350, Black ext, Sport Package, Multimedia Package, Keyless Go, and Parktronic
Old 11-29-2012, 09:57 PM

2012 C350 Coupe, 1996 Porsche 993 C4S, 2008 Audi A3, 1928 model A Coupe hot rod, 2003 Mini Cooper S.
I special ordered a C350 coupe, and waited over 3 months for build and delivery. However, I used USAA buying program and got the car below the cost the dealer pays MB for the car (invoice). USAA makes up the difference to the dealer so they can make $500 on the sale. No haggle no fuss, and a better deal than I could have received any other way.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:13 PM

2013 C350 Coupe
A little off topic but did anyone purchase the Mercedes-Benz Star Service Prepaid Maintenance? or the Mercedes-Benz Extended Limited Warranty?
Old 11-30-2012, 09:47 AM

GLK 350 (soon I hope!)
Originally Posted by capt_paul
I wound up with only $1500 off my MSRP of $51,500 C350. I put down $7500 cash plus I used my MBUSA $1000 loyalty certificate. Ohh...the dealer threw in the tint for free also.

I would have like to have had the 10 % off though ($5150)

Lucky you!

My care was ordered in July, Sept 7th build, and was delivered Oct 31st.

C350, Black ext, Sport Package, Multimedia Package, Keyless Go, and Parktronic
Are you located in the midwest? I wonder if that is the reason we are getting a similar offer....

Last edited by GLKChick; 11-30-2012 at 10:00 AM.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:50 AM

GLK 350 (soon I hope!)
Originally Posted by DK23
I special ordered a C350 coupe, and waited over 3 months for build and delivery. However, I used USAA buying program and got the car below the cost the dealer pays MB for the car (invoice). USAA makes up the difference to the dealer so they can make $500 on the sale. No haggle no fuss, and a better deal than I could have received any other way.
I may have to look into the USAA buying program. I took a quick peek but it looks like it is only for veterans? I'll do more research. However, is invoice as good as a 10% off MSRP plus incentives?
Old 11-30-2012, 10:05 AM

2013 E350
If you configure the car using edmunds.com, you will be able to see the invoice price. In my case, the invoice cost was about 5% below MSRP.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:08 AM

2013 E350
You may also want to check truecar.com. it will show what others in your area are paying for the car and will show you an offer from a local dealer. In my case, the offer was 6% below MSRP.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
2013 C350 Coupe, 2005 C230K Kleemann Sedan, 2013 GLK350 4matic
Are you located in the midwest? I wonder if that is the reason we are getting a similar offer....
I am located in Las Vegas, NV
Old 11-30-2012, 01:41 PM

2012 C350 Coupe, 1996 Porsche 993 C4S, 2008 Audi A3, 1928 model A Coupe hot rod, 2003 Mini Cooper S.
I may have to look into the USAA buying program. I took a quick peek but it looks like it is only for veterans? I'll do more research. However, is invoice as good as a 10% off MSRP plus incentives?

Yes, and the USAA program is below invoice. The dealership pays more for the car to MB than you pay. USAA makes up the difference and adds $500 for dealer profit. I was shown the paperwork from MB factory etc. to verify. I was very happy with the deal.

USAA is an insurance company for veterans and their families. You can get it if you, a spouse or parent is a veteran.

Last edited by DK23; 11-30-2012 at 01:44 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:29 PM

GLK 350 (soon I hope!)
Originally Posted by DK23
Yes, and the USAA program is below invoice. The dealership pays more for the car to MB than you pay. USAA makes up the difference and adds $500 for dealer profit. I was shown the paperwork from MB factory etc. to verify. I was very happy with the deal.

USAA is an insurance company for veterans and their families. You can get it if you, a spouse or parent is a veteran.
Ah, okay, thanks. Unfortunately, I would not qualify for the program then. However, it is nice that such a program exists for those who serve our country!
Old 12-14-2012, 04:15 PM

2013 C350 4MATIC Coupe
I just placed my order for my c350 4matic Coupe today with the following specs:

Polar White
Sport Package
Lighting Package
Multimedia Package
Keyless Go
Lane Tracking Package

Similarly to what a few of you have experienced, my dealer had me pay a $1k deposit; he also said that incentives and discounts could not be finalized until the car comes in, in early-mid February. He and I have built up a rapport over the past few months though, and he says he'll guarantee that I get a good deal. Thanks to all of you for sharing your experiences so that I can accurately judge what is (or isn't) a good deal!