Shaking/Vibrating Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 10:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C250 CDI
Shaking/Vibrating Steering Wheel

Not sure if anyone else is experiencing this. I'm from the down under, roads aren't as smooth as the rest of the world!

My steering wheel seems to shake/vibrate 70km/h+

I didn't notice it on the stock wheels (I didn't have them on long enough to notice it)

I've replaced the wheels 3x and the tires 2x.

First two sets had Dunlop Sport Maxx tires. 225/35/19 on front & 265/30/19 on the rear.

Current set now has Continental P5's with 225/35/19 on front & 255/30/19 on the rear.

I have done 3 Wheel Balances & 1 Road Force Balance, still no go. (Not to mention the 3 wheel alignments that went with that!)

I noticed a little improvement when the Continental tires went on, but after a few days, back to square 1!

I have also been told it could be the hub rings? But there are no hub rings as its "supposedly" a perfect fit.

Any suggestions, or can anyone suggest someone in Sydney to fix the issue?
Old 02-21-2013, 12:51 AM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts
C204 C250-CDI
G'Day badboy8

If you still have them the first thing I'd do is put the stockers back on and see if the problem is the same with those - that'll eliminate the possibility that your aftermarket rims are or have been dodgy.

If you do have CBL's or hub locators, these can definitely cause the problems your having, I've experienced it in many of my cars with aftermarket rims fitted with hub locators, it costs alot more but it's always best to have hub centric rims for vibration free results.

I'm in Melbourne so can't suggest anyone for you in Sydney, but if you've already had both multiple balancing and wheel alignments done then that can't be the problem, check out those rims your using and see what the go is with hub locators or not.

Also just for reference the CDI's especially the 250's IL4 emits a slight vibration throughout the entire vehicle noticeably to the steering wheel throughout most of its operating range, it is not enough to cause those problems above but could be contributing slightly to it ie. steering wheel vibrations.

Let us know what you find out
Old 02-21-2013, 01:48 AM

03c320
I had the same problem only to noe that my after market rim driver side was bent not visible at all I mean at all till I switch my tire thread and they told me .....had my rim fix and problem solved ..
Old 02-21-2013, 02:38 AM

2012 C250 CDI
I sold my stockies before I purchased the new set... so that sux! Anyone want to lend me theirs?

I dont think anything is bent considering all 3 sets of wheels are new from the box.

Its not a bad shake/vibration... just annoying considering I sit on the free way half my life! Ive noticed it only happens between 70-100km/h.... above 100km/h its fine?
Old 02-21-2013, 11:16 AM

03c320
Originally Posted by BadBoy8
I sold my stockies before I purchased the new set... so that sux! Anyone want to lend me theirs?

I dont think anything is bent considering all 3 sets of wheels are new from the box.

Its not a bad shake/vibration... just annoying considering I sit on the free way half my life! Ive noticed it only happens between 70-100km/h.... above 100km/h its fine?
Hummm ok Amm did u have your car Aline and wheels balance ?? I you did an the problem consists take it to Like a good mechanic or your nearest wheel shop se wat they say
Old 02-21-2013, 05:03 PM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

C204 C250-CDI

Definitely sounds like not correct fitment CBL's.

As previously noted, do you have hub locators on those aftermarket rims ??? if so I'd suggest they are the cause of the problem.

If you do have hub locators, you'll have to change to another set of better fitment units, the tighter the fit the better, usually plastic units are better in this regard metal units are always loose fit and cause the vibration problems your having, I had a set of Momo rims on another car which came with aluminium CBL's they caused so much vibration at certain speed ranges I had to get rid of the rims and opted for a hub centric set instead.

On another car of mine I have 20" rims with plastic tight fitting CBL's and it is pretty much vibration free.

Pull off one of your wheels and see what the go is, if you do have hub centric rims the only other cause it can be if all wheel alignments and balancing is correct is an inherent fault with the vehicle itself.

Let us know how you go
Old 02-25-2013, 10:29 PM

2012 C250 CDI
I took wheels off to then realise that there are no hub locators... I went to a few wheel shops who have advised that the wheels are designed for the car and that the wheels are a tight fit.. and that there is no hub ring that will fit.

Any other ideas?
Old 02-25-2013, 11:32 PM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

C204 C250-CDI
I took wheels off to then realise that there are no hub locators... I went to a few wheel shops who have advised that the wheels are designed for the car and that the wheels are a tight fit.. and that there is no hub ring that will fit.

Any other ideas?
That being the case, if the wheel alignment and balancing are spot on there can only be 2 answers, one the rim/s are at fault ie. bent/distorted or there's a problem with the driveline of the car itself.

The only way to be totally certain is to see if you can get a hold of another OEM set of wheels fit them up test drive and see what the result is, that'll eliminate one or the other of the possibilities and leave you with the answer to the fault.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:47 AM

2012 C250 CDI
Hi, I managed to get my set of original wheels back on the car. It seems the issue is still there, but not as enhanced as the 19' wheels. Now that I have established it is the car and not the wheels... ill book an appointment to see mb. Knowing them... they will claim they cant feel anything and or its normal for the vehicle?
Old 03-06-2013, 01:37 AM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

C204 C250-CDI
Hi, I managed to get my set of original wheels back on the car. It seems the issue is still there, but not as enhanced as the 19' wheels. Now that I have established it is the car and not the wheels... ill book an appointment to see mb. Knowing them... they will claim they cant feel anything and or its normal for the vehicle?
Get them to test drive the vehicle back to back with another identical one as yours, ie. same day, same conditions, same person with you riding shot gun and that should make your faulty one stand out and hopefully have the issue addressed

Not sure about your MB dealer but AFAIK most here in Melb. seem to be keen to hear you out and help with probs - hope it all gets fixed up for you, let us know how you go