Lowering Springs for a C Coupe with Dynamic Handling Package

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 07:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C350 Coupe
Lowering Springs for a C Coupe with Dynamic Handling Package

Hi All,

This question has probably been covered somewhere else. I did do some googling but couldn't find what I wanted to know.

If you have a car with the Dynamic Handling Package (i.e. the Sport button where you push it and the car lowers by 10mm and you get the firmer feeling suspension setup) - Can you still get lowering springs, or adjust your suspension in anyway? Or does it simply not work?

I don't think I want coilovers because they're expensive and likely too uncomfortable, but a slight ride height reduction and better handling would be nice. H&R and Eibach both seem to have springs. Any opinions on which are better?

Thanks,

Blickling.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:37 PM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
C204 C250-CDI
Originally Posted by Blickling
Hi All,

This question has probably been covered somewhere else. I did do some googling but couldn't find what I wanted to know.

If you have a car with the Dynamic Handling Package (i.e. the Sport button where you push it and the car lowers by 10mm and you get the firmer feeling suspension setup) - Can you still get lowering springs, or adjust your suspension in anyway? Or does it simply not work?

I don't think I want coilovers because they're expensive and likely too uncomfortable, but a slight ride height reduction and better handling would be nice. H&R and Eibach both seem to have springs. Any opinions on which are better?

Thanks,

Blickling.
Best thing to do is check with the spring companies themselves Blickling and see what they recommend, AFAIK from what I've been told by the dealer technicians they say to leave the combination of the adaptive dampers and springs alone, if you use lowered springs it'll mess up the operational envelope of the dampers

Be interesting to see what the spring manufacturers have to say, as it's always good practice to change even standard dampers whenever doing a spring change so that the new combination is properly matched.

It would be nice to have a slightly lower ride height and maintain the all round excellent characteristics of the magnetic adaptive dampers, (just for info the OEM adaptive dampers are Monroe's) keen to see what you come up with
Old 06-17-2013, 07:57 AM

C350 Coupe
Thanks mate,

Might just have to get my performance shop to ask the questions to the manufacturers and see how they go. Who knows. So many cars and makes are running some form of adaptive or adjustable suspension that surely the companies out there have to adapt anyway. Otherwise no modern car would have suspension mods.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:34 PM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

C204 C250-CDI
Thanks mate,

Might just have to get my performance shop to ask the questions to the manufacturers and see how they go. Who knows. So many cars and makes are running some form of adaptive or adjustable suspension that surely the companies out there have to adapt anyway. Otherwise no modern car would have suspension mods.
Yes generally OEM hardware is constantly getting better and better and more difficult to play with or update unless you swap out the whole item.

I believe with the suspension if anyone wanted to do it properly and thoroughly it may very well be a case of replacing the whole assembly with a suitable other, IMHO the only choice would be the DDC KW coil over kit for this particular application as it would offer 3 settings for ride comfort and handling and make up for the loss of the OEM system as well as ride height adjustment, only problem is from reviews I've seen of people who have tried it is that even at the lowest setting the ride comfort is not as good as the OEM set up and it is an expensive mod, especially considering your taking out and already excellent MB OEM set up, something to consider I suppose
Old 06-29-2013, 07:07 PM

C350 Coupe
Ok for those that are interested, I've spoken to a few people and no one has suggested going ahead with lowering springs with the C Coupe suspension. No one specifically said it wouldn't work, but the companies that actually make lowering springs haven't made them for cars with the dynamic handling package.

I was also told by multiple people you're better off throwing way the lot and getting KW or Bilstein Coilovers because these will work.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 C350 Coupe
Ok for those that are interested, I've spoken to a few people and no one has suggested going ahead with lowering springs with the C Coupe suspension. No one specifically said it wouldn't work, but the companies that actually make lowering springs haven't made them for cars with the dynamic handling package.

I was also told by multiple people you're better off throwing way the lot and getting KW or Bilstein Coilovers because these will work.
Ah that sucks. Guess I won't be lowering my car anytime soon.

What you mean throwing way the lot?
Old 06-30-2013, 11:16 PM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

C204 C250-CDI
Originally Posted by NauticaX

What you mean throwing way the lot?
It means replacing the whole lot with an alternative as suggested above, eg. the KW DDC kit
Old 07-01-2013, 08:01 AM

C350 Coupe
Originally Posted by AV1
It means replacing the whole lot with an alternative as suggested above, eg. the KW DDC kit
Correct! AV1 is actually my long lost brother. If you can't make sense of something I say..., he can explain it
Old 07-01-2013, 09:58 PM

2013 C350 Coupe
Originally Posted by AV1
Ah thanks! So correct me if I'm wrong the Sports button will do nothing for handling anymore if you replace the whole lot?
Old 07-01-2013, 11:25 PM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

C204 C250-CDI
Correct! AV1 is actually my long lost brother. If you can't make sense of something I say..., he can explain it
LOL more than happy to help

Originally Posted by NauticaX
Ah thanks! So correct me if I'm wrong the Sports button will do nothing for handling anymore if you replace the whole lot?
That's correct regarding the suspension, ie. if you were to use for eg. the KW DDC kit it comes with an activation button (which you install yourself somewhere in the interior) for the 3 settings that particular kit offers, in terms of handling it (the KW DDC) would provide a higher level albeit at the expense of ride quality over uneven surfaces, there's a C250 build thread (by 190Benz) where the KW DDC kit has been used with a thorough description and review perhaps have a look at that one

The OEM sport button will still alter the steering and transmission settings though.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:29 AM

C350 coupe 2012
im 100% sure that the sport button works. the lowering springs will not effect the sport button which effects and damper control. Spoke to people at modbargains.com and the people at a place called proformance industries here in westchester county and they both clarified for me this button will not be effected with lowering springs.