ECO mode

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 C350 Coupe 4matic
ECO mode

I recently turned off the ECO mode and noticed a big difference in power, particularly in S mode. Has anyone else experienced this?

What does ECO mode actually do in terms of the engine? I know the A/C is optimized and adjusted with ECO on but I couldn't find anything online about this.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:52 PM

C-Class Coupe 2012
As far as I've noticed, the major difference is timing between gear shifts.
S mode tends to hold the gears for longer and ECO mode tends to keep the RPM very low and mostly under 2500.

Of course, there would be other subtle differences like enhanced suspension settings in S mode etc.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:13 PM

2013 C350 Coupe 4matic
Yes that sounds about right for the E vs S transmission mode. But I'm talking about the ECO button next to the hazard/4-way flashers button on the center dash.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:11 AM

2018 GLC300W
Originally Posted by Madmunky1
I recently turned off the ECO mode and noticed a big difference in power, particularly in S mode. Has anyone else experienced this?

What does ECO mode actually do in terms of the engine? I know the A/C is optimized and adjusted with ECO on but I couldn't find anything online about this.
According to Zimbio.com:
"Mercedes Benz has incorporated a Eco mode, wherein the car Starts/Stops when one has come to a halt at the signal. This happens with utmost precision and helps improve the mileage."

See it here, near the end of the article, at http://www.zimbio.com/Mercedes-Benz/articles/IzNOW6_P6FU/Mercedes+C250+CDI+AMG+Performance+Edition
Old 06-26-2013, 12:04 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
C204
I assume there is no difference except for the engine stopping/starting when the car is standstill. Personally, I haven't noticed any difference...
Old 06-26-2013, 04:03 PM

2013 C350 4MATIC Coupe
Based on the research I did before buying the car, and from the other information I was able to gather, ECO mode is nothing more than the ECO Start/Stop function. This should only shut off the engine when you come to a stop, and re-activate the engine when you start moving again. I've found that there is a significant difference between driving in E and S modes, but I don't think ECO mode is (theoretically) supposed to make a difference in speed/power/responsiveness. Now that you brought this up though, I may test it on my drive home today
Old 06-26-2013, 06:04 PM

C-Class Coupe 2012
Thankfully, my car doesn't have the ECO feature. I was recently given a loan car which was a C250 CDI Sedan and it had the ECO start stop feature. The car was great to drive but the start stop thing drove me crazy because every time it would start again, there would be a shake that you could very obviously feel. not sure if this was due to the fact that it was a diesel engine. Is it better with the CGI cars?
Old 06-26-2013, 07:11 PM

2013 C350 Coupe 4matic
XShin, let me know what you think. When I originally test drove a C sedan at the dealership, the sales guy was telling me that ECO mode also optimizes the air conditioning and reduces engine power, but I have yet to see this on paper.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:02 PM
AV1
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts
C204 C250-CDI

There should be no difference, as there is no difference in the vehicles power settings from having Eco on or off, the only difference is in engaging the stop/start system and as you said slightly different A/C operation.

You definitely would notice a difference in power/performance if engaging Sport Mode, as that changes the transmission settings in 3 ways, firstly it sets the trans to take off in 1st rather than 2nd gear, secondly it holds the individual gears longer between changes and thirdly it kicks down earlier/more often, however there is no actual power increase it only seems that way due to the vehicle being able to accelerate quicker/better because of the lower gears (1st) in take off and holding a lower gear on the run, in CDI models the sport mode creates a very pronounced difference in performance feel

Last edited by AV1; 06-26-2013 at 08:04 PM.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:40 AM

2013 C350 4MATIC Coupe
XShin, let me know what you think. When I originally test drove a C sedan at the dealership, the sales guy was telling me that ECO mode also optimizes the air conditioning and reduces engine power, but I have yet to see this on paper.
As far as I know, from what my sales guy told me and from what the user manual says (I just checked it again), it simply shuts off and turns on the engine as needed when the car is stopped and when it's starting to move again. I'm fairly positive it doesn't affect performance/power/responsiveness when the car is moving (when the engine is on), and I don't think it does anything with the air conditioning either (but of course I could be wrong)..

Originally Posted by skat004
Thankfully, my car doesn't have the ECO feature. I was recently given a loan car which was a C250 CDI Sedan and it had the ECO start stop feature. The car was great to drive but the start stop thing drove me crazy because every time it would start again, there would be a shake that you could very obviously feel. not sure if this was due to the fact that it was a diesel engine. Is it better with the CGI cars?
Sometimes there's a very slight shudder, but I only really notice it if I'm looking for it. Most of the time I don't even actually notice it. Granted, I usually am enjoying my music through the speakers, and I do turn up the volume, so I do tend to feel the bass thumping through the speakers, which probably distracts me from the engine shaking..

Last edited by xShin; 06-27-2013 at 10:43 AM.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:26 AM

2013 C250 Coupe
Doesnt the Sport mode make the steering and gas pedals more sensitive as well? Ive noticed in E mode I have to press down on the accelerator more to get the car going.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:31 AM

2013 C350 4MATIC Coupe
I don't believe it's doing anything with the pedals themselves - I think it's more that since it affects the transmission and gear settings, Sport mode makes the car faster.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:38 AM

2013 C250 Coupe
I don't think it does any going to the peddles either. I think it electronically changes how much throttle is given by pressing down on the peddles.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:10 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 GLC300 / 2021 C300
S mode definitely changes the throttle responsiveness as well as the transmuission settings. If you buy the extr sport package then it does indeed change thevsteering feel. But not in a standard sport edition.