Mars Red C204 AMG Plus - PlastiDip Grille Blackout

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W204 C220 CDI COUPE AMG SPORT PLUS
Cool Mars Red C204 AMG Plus - PlastiDip Grille Blackout

After looking on T'Interwebs for a decent blackout grille that:
A) Didnt cost a small fortune (i.e. CF jobby)
B) Wasnt ****ty Chinese plastic rep

I stumbled across the wonders of PlastiDip on the forums so decided it as a low cost and reversible approach to the results I sought. So ordered a couple of cans of Matte Black 'Dip to have a go myself.

I decided to remove the grille from the car (as its actually surprisingly easy to - instructions covered elsewhere on MBWorld) to dip indoors... to avoid the wonderful British unpredictable drizzly summer days... or any albatross sized bird**** landing between coats and fecking things up!... I digress...

As Ive alway been told.. Prep, Prep, Prep - so a bathtub full of soapy water (washing up liquid to break down any waxes etc which could prevent a decent key for the 'Dip) a sponge and an old toothbrush and a little elbow grease & the grille was spotless. After a towel dry and a hairdryer to get into the nooks and crannies it was ready for the first coat:

Second Coat - still wet

Third Coat

....a couple more coats then the finished article:

& finally on the car.

Next is the DRLs as they now stick out like a sore thumb (& doing this made me notice I have got a stone crack on the DRL lens. FFS), the rear emblems and chrome bar over the number plate.

Have a go guys... whats the worst than can happen?
Old 06-10-2014, 05:52 PM

C204, C117
A lot of people have actually done this. Personally, I don't like the texture much and I eventually got rid of my stock grill and got a 507 edition grill, wrapped the fin in satin black. Much better finish and result. Looks good on your car though, nice job!
Old 06-10-2014, 06:31 PM

W204 C220 CDI COUPE AMG SPORT PLUS
Thanks

The finish, as you say isn't glasslike but It certainly doesn't look like a DIY job. So pretty pleased with the result (yet to see how it holds up to stonechips!)

Guessing yours is an aftermarket with the C63 grill being a different fitment?... Is it good quality & lastly where did you source it from?

On another note looking at my pic above... Splitter deffo required I think!
Old 06-10-2014, 08:32 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts
2018 C63S
Looks very nice.

Plastidip is a pretty awesome product.

put it on an when you want it off just peel it off.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:02 PM

C204, C117
Originally Posted by dnouk
Thanks

The finish, as you say isn't glasslike but It certainly doesn't look like a DIY job. So pretty pleased with the result (yet to see how it holds up to stonechips!)

Guessing yours is an aftermarket with the C63 grill being a different fitment?... Is it good quality & lastly where did you source it from?

On another note looking at my pic above... Splitter deffo required I think!
Compared to the OEM grill, quality is almost the same. The OEM grill is not super sturdy, same material. The only difference is the prongs that clip on the sides, the OEM has a different kind of plastic than the aftermarket. I think I got mine from eBay. Something like this one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MERCEDES-BENZ-W204-07-13-C-CLASS-C63-Style-250-300-350-BLACK-FRONT-GRILLE-GRILL-/151272626562?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item23388d1982&vxp=mtr