Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 11:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 C230 Coupe
This button costed me $3000 dollars !

Young and inexperienced driver here , under 18
Story starts off like this ...
Well i was looking at some s2000's and got interested in them. Then i heard that its not a safe car for anyone under 18 that is inexperienced. Well i looked more into it and saw a lot of death/crash stories about how the s2000 can be very very dangerous especially with the traction off! I just though to myself Damn why would any one turn it off?? Well it was a friday morning and i was heading to school , driving a bit aggressive but not too much though. At this point im about .3 miles away from school, this nice bass full song came on and oh man it felt like someone else took the wheel. Im at a busy intersection making a left while its green , right before turning in my finger just shot right at the ESP button and i turned it off thinking i can have some fun sideways... Turned it off, downshifted and flooored it during the turn . The car went sideways drifting for like 3 seconds then i wanted to get back straight so i turned to the opposite screeecchhhhh BAMMM hit the curb sideways(which is worse since wheels are bent) i spun round and round and faced the opposite direction of the road. I was just in shock , since this was my first accident. got out and looked around nobody else was involved except for me and the curb. So the people who saw me drift called the police and told them that id been hot-riding my car and this and that. Officer arrives tells me to pull the car over to a safer spot , i was like uhh are you sure .. so i did then he asked me if i was racing or hot-riding i said NO , i told him that i just took the turn too fast. He let me go without a ticket (very thankful) . My mom came to the scene and i was prepared to get slapped in the face or even punched. Well i decided to just fuss up and i told her the whole truth after that she just asked "are you okay" , thats all that matters. She said you are gonna make plenty more mistakes in your life and im glad this one didnt get you hurt. i told her everything about turning the traction control off and stuff. Well i thought hey its just the rim that got damaged and i can replace that and a new tire for less than 300$ but boy i was wrong . Took it to the mechanic and they told me that there is a total of 10 parts that need to be replaced and the total would be around 3000$ . I got really stressed out since i dont have that much money neither make that much, my mom cannot afford it either. Ive just learnt my lesson the hard way , so if there are any inexperienced drivers reading this just hear me out when i say this: If you really want to test the limits of your car do it in a closed area or abandoned parking lot or something, just not on the road please im very grateful that no one was hurt otherwise this could have turned out very bad since i was facing oncoming traffic, I would not be able to live my life peacefully if i had killed someone , so please no matter how tempting it is just save it for the proper place and time. This one button the ESP and my stupidness has costed me over 3000$. Be careful and learn from my mistake . As for the experienced people go ahead hammer me on the head.
FYI : my tires were also 12 years old !
Attached Thumbnails This button costed me 00 dollars !-2015-01-12_21.50.10.jpg   This button costed me 00 dollars !-2015-01-12_21.51.04.jpg   This button costed me 00 dollars !-img_20150108_075913-2.jpg   This button costed me 00 dollars !-mg_20150108_084645.jpg  
Old 01-13-2015, 08:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 C350 Sport Coupe
Consider yourself very fortunate no one got hurt and it's only 3K in damages. Cars can be replaced, people cannot be. By the sounds of it you have a good understanding of this premise.

I remember being your age and having a 71 Chevelle SS with 325hp and I learned a harder lesson then you did by wrapping it around a stop sign and Oak tree (loosing control going in reverse if you can believe it) and totaling the car.

After that I learned about skilled driving from my Uncle and Cousins who were into racing cars. I had allot more respect for the public streets thereafter.
Even with having a Toyota Supra with 500hp at one point of my life, I wouldn't drive irresponsibly with it. To quench my need for speed, I would go to the New England drag way and make a few runs. Actually I still do that all these years later just not as often.

The main thing is no one is hurt and you can clearly advise friends of yours to learn from your own mistake. Learning from others mistakes often enhances your life tremendously if you're paying attention.

Thanks for sharing your story, hope the repair goes well, don't beat yourself up, yet never forget how it made you feel today to go through that experience and you will be better for it.
Old 01-13-2015, 08:30 AM

2003 C230 Coupe
Wow i couldn't imagine having an ss at this age ! Too much self discipline required for that and the supra . I've been wanting to find a local track but just don't undertand if there is a place where you just pay and do whatever you want to do on the track instead of you having to be professional or experianced . Thanks for sharing
Old 01-20-2015, 08:50 AM

2003 C230 Coupe
Horribe update : I may be selling the car since they found out the subframe was damaged and now the total repair cost comes up to 5k ! way too much .. i dont know how i feel since the mechanic installed 3k worth of stuff , but wants 2k more. Idk any suggestions
Old 01-20-2015, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
Under 18, driving a benz on 12 year old tires, your brain has not even solidified yet my friend, why do you think they have ESP on these cars, the best was you tried this on a turn OMG. This is the reason you have insurance for, or did you, seriously would not shell out 3K to a mech for repairs as obviously he has the same opinion of you as I have. S2000's go back to a 10 speed mountain bike for the trip to school. Not thoroughly baked yet.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:08 AM

2003 C230 Coupe
Originally Posted by Critter
Under 18, driving a benz on 12 year old tires, your brain has not even solidified yet my friend, why do you think they have ESP on these cars, the best was you tried this on a turn OMG. This is the reason you have insurance for, or did you, seriously would not shell out 3K to a mech for repairs as obviously he has the same opinion of you as I have. S2000's go back to a 10 speed mountain bike for the trip to school. Not thoroughly baked yet.
Yea I don't even think my parent want me to be riding a bike either ... Ive hurt my self too many times by tightning the rear breaks and slamming them on turns ... And then I would slip and fall and scrape against the pavement lol.. So the only option left is to run 4 miles to school ...
Old 01-20-2015, 11:34 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,040 Likes on 1,422 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Kid you are going to do well in life, I like your humility and insight into what happened

Good luck, be safe
Old 01-20-2015, 11:38 AM

2003 C230 Coupe
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
Kid you are going to do well in life, I like your humility and insight into what happened

Good luck, be safe
Thank you very much !
Old 01-20-2015, 05:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
2013 C350 Coupe, 2005 C230K Kleemann Sedan, 2013 GLK350 4matic
Originally Posted by ak47007
Young and inexperienced driver here , under 18
Story starts off like this ...
Well i was looking at some s2000's and got interested in them. Then i heard that its not a safe car for anyone under 18 that is inexperienced. Well i looked more into it and saw a lot of death/crash stories about how the s2000 can be very very dangerous especially with the traction off! I just though to myself Damn why would any one turn it off?? Well it was a friday morning and i was heading to school , driving a bit aggressive but not too much though. At this point im about .3 miles away from school, this nice bass full song came on and oh man it felt like someone else took the wheel. Im at a busy intersection making a left while its green , right before turning in my finger just shot right at the ESP button and i turned it off thinking i can have some fun sideways... Turned it off, downshifted and flooored it during the turn . The car went sideways drifting for like 3 seconds then i wanted to get back straight so i turned to the opposite screeecchhhhh BAMMM hit the curb sideways(which is worse since wheels are bent) i spun round and round and faced the opposite direction of the road. I was just in shock , since this was my first accident. got out and looked around nobody else was involved except for me and the curb. So the people who saw me drift called the police and told them that id been hot-riding my car and this and that. Officer arrives tells me to pull the car over to a safer spot , i was like uhh are you sure .. so i did then he asked me if i was racing or hot-riding i said NO , i told him that i just took the turn too fast. He let me go without a ticket (very thankful) . My mom came to the scene and i was prepared to get slapped in the face or even punched. Well i decided to just fuss up and i told her the whole truth after that she just asked "are you okay" , thats all that matters. She said you are gonna make plenty more mistakes in your life and im glad this one didnt get you hurt. i told her everything about turning the traction control off and stuff. Well i thought hey its just the rim that got damaged and i can replace that and a new tire for less than 300$ but boy i was wrong . Took it to the mechanic and they told me that there is a total of 10 parts that need to be replaced and the total would be around 3000$ . I got really stressed out since i dont have that much money neither make that much, my mom cannot afford it either. Ive just learnt my lesson the hard way , so if there are any inexperienced drivers reading this just hear me out when i say this: If you really want to test the limits of your car do it in a closed area or abandoned parking lot or something, just not on the road please im very grateful that no one was hurt otherwise this could have turned out very bad since i was facing oncoming traffic, I would not be able to live my life peacefully if i had killed someone , so please no matter how tempting it is just save it for the proper place and time. This one button the ESP and my stupidness has costed me over 3000$. Be careful and learn from my mistake . As for the experienced people go ahead hammer me on the head.
FYI : my tires were also 12 years old !
Oh my god....you need to learn how to write in paragraphs instead of a constant run of words. I couldn't get more than half through it without getting a migrane.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:07 PM

2003 C230 Coupe
Oh sorry I just noticed that. Damn no wonder it was hard for me to read lol
Will keep that in mind for next time