Purchasing a C350

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2016 | 07:30 AM

C350
Purchasing a C350

I'm interested in purchasing either a C300 or C350 both 4matic, and probably either a 2013 or 2014 model.

I was hoping to get some feedback from this forum on these models before my purchase. I've owned two Honda’s up to this point and both have been pretty reliable and haven't required any major repairs so I'm hoping for the same from a C300 or C350.

My main question is are these cars reliable?

Do they have any weak points that I should look out for when purchasing a used one?

Any major safety recalls or mechanical recalls that I should be aware of?

Any issues with rust or body work?

Any maintenance that I should do more frequently to extend the life of a weaker component? For example if the transmission is a known weak point, investing in a magnetic drain plug and changing the fluid more frequently than is required could help.

I also tend to do a lot of my own maintenance, are these cars reasonably maintenance friendly? I see some people buying pumps to pump out the oil, which seems ridiculous to me, does this car have a drain plug?

Are there any good places online to get genuine MB parts for these cars at a good price?

I'm also looking for something sporty and fun to drive. It'd be nice to have a stick, but I think both of these cars are automatics with a sport shift. Is the sport shift reasonably responsive and fun to use? It'd be awesome to have Formula 1 like paddle shifters but I'll settle for something that shifts to what I want somewhat quickly.

Any feedback is appreciated, thanks for the help.
Old 06-29-2016 | 08:11 PM

C43 AMG / C350 Coupe
I came from a 2006 Mazdaspeed6 heavily modded 350awhp and switched to the c350.
I've had mine for about a month now. Paid 27,500 car has 25k on it. Its a super smooth ride, pretty peppy and yes it has paddle shifters. Its a 7speed automatic so it gets up and stays up through the power band. Racecar this is not, track car also def not. Peppy cruiser with a little hustle is a bit more like it.

One thing that was made very clear to me, is that Mercedes motors are notoriously tough. That being said (I hate when people say that) they also have a butt-load of sensors that periodically take a crap. I was for-warned to pay for the extended warranty.
There is definitely something to be said for the sense of security it provides. I plan on taking it in soon for a vibration in the starring wheel and the passenger side blind spot sensor seems a bit wonky. I'll drop it off and they'll provide a 2016 e or c class as a loaner.

I guess the only advice I can give you is the same that I was given. Buy the extended warranty, it pays for itself in short order, its also 100% refundable if you sell the car. Lastly the warranty goes by years, and not miles ergo, you can put 500k a year on it and its still covered 100%.
The following users liked this post:
jbb194 (06-30-2016)
Old 06-30-2016 | 07:33 AM

C350
Thanks for the input, I'm coming from a 1992 Honda Prelude Si with 290,000 miles on it and a 2005 Honda Civic Ex with 180,000 miles. I maintained both quite well, always using Honda parts, and doing most things myself so I am hoping for similar reliability if I keep the C350 well maintained.

I'm just hoping for something similar to my Prelude, it's fun to drive even though it doesn't have tons of horsepower. I am more worried about the C350 feeling big and heavy vs a smaller and more nimble Honda.

I haven't test driven one yet so I wasn't sure if they have paddles or not, but if they do then that is perfect. Can you still shift with the stick as well?

I will certainly get the warranty if I can. The car I'm looking at is not coming from a Mercedes dealer so I'm not sure if I can get it or not, do you have any experience with this?

Thanks for your reply.
Old 06-30-2016 | 07:46 AM

C43 AMG / C350 Coupe
Actually yes, you can take it to the dealer and pay for a PPI (Pre Purchase Inspection) they will certify the car if it passes all their tests and they you can purchase a warranty.

As for the car feeling too big, I didn't feel that way at all. They are pretty lush, its like driving around a 300 HP pillow.

Also I can confirm that the shifter allows you to switch gears. Its a right left motion as opposed to up and Dow to shift.

Send me a link to the one your looking at purchasing and I'll tell you if its a good deal. For me the panoramic sun roof was a must, so was the lighting package.
Old 06-30-2016 | 09:34 PM

2008 SL550
Jbb,

While these cars tend to be reliable, some of the fit and finish bits fail prematurely (I'm referring to my own experience with my C250 Coupe). The Pano roof has given me fits with "popping" sounds while driving over uneven surfaces at slow speed. The car has been to the dealership three times for this issue with no real solution. Also, some interior components have either cracked, peeled, lifted, or broken (steering wheel, center console, A-pillar trim, seat back lever). Luckily, all were replaced through the factory warranty.
Old 07-01-2016 | 10:51 AM

C43 AMG / C350 Coupe
Originally Posted by pfarah77
Jbb,

While these cars tend to be reliable, some of the fit and finish bits fail prematurely (I'm referring to my own experience with my C250 Coupe). The Pano roof has given me fits with "popping" sounds while driving over uneven surfaces at slow speed. The car has been to the dealership three times for this issue with no real solution. Also, some interior components have either cracked, peeled, lifted, or broken (steering wheel, center console, A-pillar trim, seat back lever). Luckily, all were replaced through the factory warranty.
Yet another warranty advocate
Old 07-01-2016 | 10:27 PM

C-Class
jbb,

You can get a warranty from Mercedes anytime during the cars original warranty period. If you get a 2014 that would be late 2017-2018 (4 years or 50,000 miles from date of original purchase) so I would get the warranty only if and after I had had trouble with the car and pass if it was reliable through the warranty period. Also you may be able to get the dealer to waive the fee ($150-350 iirc) for not buying it with the car new if you wait until a whatever "event" they have every so often.