[C204] Front strut bearing problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2020, 08:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W204
Unhappy [C204] Front strut bearing problems

Hi,
I have been slowly working on my coupe for the last two years to make it look the way i want it to and one of the main goals was to have air suspension in it. While its a great option for daily usage of a lowered car, unfortunately it became one of my worst problems. After installing the air suspension and lowering the car, the top strut bearings started to make a weird 'poping" sounds while turning the wheel either directions. It kind of sounds like a bad bearing but i have gone through three different manufacturers, including OEM and all of them have the same effect. If i put a ton o grease inside the beraings, the noises go away for a day or two but they quickly come back. The air suspension that is installed is a custom suspension made by a polish company (that's where i live) and on top of that i have installed silver project camber plates.
Camber plates for referance but the problem also occured on OEM top mount.

My question is, if there are any aftermarket strut bearings for the C204 after facelift available in the USA? Maybe a full set with camber adjustment? Even the OEM bearing is just a simple, cheapest, ball bearing. Unfortunatelly there is not a lot of modified C204 in Poland so i can't find anything locally. I'm pretty sure the problem is caused by the custom suspension making the bearing sit on the top mount, not distributing the weight on the bearing evenly (also due to negative camber). If a bunch of grease can solve the problem, better bearings would do it too Let me know if Youe have any suggestions or know of any better bearings for our cars or full camber top mounts.