Thinkware F770 2 channel dashcam installation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 07:02 PM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
C300 Coupe
Thinkware F770 2 channel dashcam installation

I've been thinking about getting a dashcam for a while but have kept putting it off because I haven't had the time to research the cameras and how to install.

I drive in busy London traffic almost daily so I'm quite used to poor or aggressive drivers suddenly pulling out or cutting me up! The kick-up-the-backside moment was when someone cut me up, I beeped them and flashed, and they slammed their brakes - it turned out that they had panicked when they heard my horn! I managed to react quick enough to avoid a collision. If I had not managed to avoid the car, I'm sure I would have been assumed to be at fault without video evidence.

I decided that I wanted a 2 channel set-up so that both front and rear were covered. I wanted 1080p quality so that reg plates were clear. There were really only 2 choices: BlackVue 650S or Thinkware F770.

After reading several reviews, I decided to go with the Thinkware F770 but I'm sure either unit would be great.

Thinkware F770 unboxing:

Thinkware F770 in its box.

Here's what you get in the box: main unit; rear camera; 32gb micro SD card; 3M sticky pads; 3M sticky cable clips; USB adapter for micro SD card; hardwire power cable (3m length); ?USB cable for rear camera (4m+ length); documents.

Main unit is about 4.25 inches wide.

Rear camera is very compact and you can't even see it in the rear view mirror if you install in right up by the rear parking sensor indicator lights.

32gb micro SD card included. I've read that Samsung EVO+ 128gb card will work so I'll probably get one soon so that I have more storage capacity.

The camera angle is adjusted by turning the screw or by moving the camera by hand.

What you need before starting:
Trim removal tools
Long nose pliers or cable crimping tool
Voltmeter if you are going to use different fuse slots to mine
Fuse pulling tool or tweezers
"add-a-fuse" connectors
2 x 5 amp blade fuses (or other rating depending on which fuse slot you use)
Paperclip for ground

Here's my install with pictures:

Tools for the installation. The voltmeter won't be necessary if you use the same fuse slots that I have. Long nosed pliers were used to crimp the cable connectors. Trim removal tools are essential for making this a relatively simple installation.

I bought a set of Trim Removal Tools from Halfords for about £20.

There is a fuse box behind a panel on the end of the dashboard on the driver side. This is easily reachable and all cables can be hidden. I've read some guides that recommend using the fuse box in the boot under the carpet because there are spare fuse slots but I have found that the power cable that came with my F770 was only 3m long and didn't reach - it needs about 4m of cable to reach the boot.

Use a pry tool to lever the front of the panel. It should open up quite easily without much pressure.

There are 2 tabs near the front that will slide off.

Move your pry tool towards the top and middle of the panel to ease the top tab off.

Dashboard fuse panel opened. You can see the position of the 3 tabs.

Detailed view of the fuse box and the 2 fuse slots I used. Fuse 206 - Analog clock : Live permanent feed for connecting the YELLOW wire labelled BATT. Fuse 216 - Glove box light : Switched feed for connecting the RED wire labelled ACC. Thanks to DBOC205 who provided the fuse map on this thread: https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...-fuse-map.html

The row of fuses where 2016 is is secured by a black plastic bar, you will need to pull that off before you can remove the fuses. Pull the existing blade fuses out plug 2 blade fuses into the add-a-fuse fuse holders and plug that back in to the fuse slots as per the picture. Make sure you have 2 fuses in the add-a-fuse connector (unlike my picture!). At this point before tidying any cables, you should connect the power and test the unit. YELLOW wire labelled BATT to fuse 206. RED wire labelled ACC to fuse 216. I downloaded the Thinkware software to my iPhone, connected using the wifi and checked I saw a picture and checked the various settings. I also connected the rear camera and tested that too.

Decide where you are going to mount the F770. I decided to mount mine on the rear view mirror plastic housing behind the mirror rather than on the windscreen itself. Now we can tuck the cables tidily into the trim. The excess cable will be tidied in the fuse box so start with the end of the power cable that will plug into the F770. The mirror housing can be easily popped loose using a pry tool along the roof liner - very little pressure is required. The power connector is to the left of the F770. Tuck the cable in to the mirror housing and along the top edge of the windscreen - the roof lining can easily be pulled back a bit to insert the cable.

The power cable tucks easily into the mirror housing and can be snapped back in place once the cable is tucked in to the roof lining along the windscreen upper edge.

Use a pry tool at the top of the A pillar trim to open up a gap to tuck the cable. It's quite tight and you may have to use 2 tools to leverage gently.

Tuck the cable around the A pillar towards the door opening.

Along the door opening, the trim is a soft fabric coated rubber than can easily be lifted to tuck the cable. Run the cable down the soft rubber trim into the fuse box.

Next is the rear camera USB cable. Again, start at the end that will plug into the F770 main unit - it should be the right-angled USB plug. Tuck the cable into the roof lining right up against the mirror housing on the passenger side. Tuck along the passenger side windscreen upper edge into the roof lining and work across the A pillar like we did on the other side with the power cable.

Tuck the cable along the top of the door frame in to the soft fabric coated rubber trim.

I found the trim along the B pillar to be quite tight. Gently prise the top of the trim and tuck the cable in.

Tuck the cable along the top edge of the rear quarter window into the roof lining. When you reach the C pillar at the back corner, you can tuck most of the excess cable (there was a lot of it!) into the C pillar.

Run the cable along the top of the rear windscreen tucking it into the roof lining. I mounted my rear camera directly behind the rear parking sensor indicator lights. Note that it should be mounted with the writing upside down in order to have the video picture the right way up! You should test it before sticking to the glass.

Once you've tucked all the cables and mounted your camera, you can tidy up in the fuse box by tucking all the excess cable behind the dashboard.

I almost forgot to mention the ground cable. The chassis of the car is ground. There's a very convenient access point right by the 2 silver bolts next to the fuse box. I simply used a paper clip to fasten the ground cable to the the oval hole under the top bolt.

Last edited by MattC300Coupe; 05-06-2017 at 07:14 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by MattC300Coupe:
Aimbit (06-28-2017), Jesse Jericho (06-10-2017), Tej7 (06-09-2017)
Old 05-18-2017, 08:36 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2020 CLA 250 4Matic Black
That's a nice clean install.
I ported over my BlackVue DR650S to my Cabriolet. The font cam was easier than I thought but the rear is not possible like how I had it in the Sedan or your coupe.

I am waiting for a shorter cable to mount it above the rear view mirror. This will capture the side windows and the rear of the car but not too far back. Any passengers will be recorded as well.
Old 06-09-2017, 05:33 PM

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
C43 Coupe
I just wanted to thank you for this very informative write up. If it wasn't for you, I would have ended up spending $250 to have it installed professionally!
Old 06-09-2017, 05:58 PM

C300 Coupe
Originally Posted by Tej7
I just wanted to thank you for this very informative write up. If it wasn't for you, I would have ended up spending $250 to have it installed professionally!
You're welcome Tej7! I'm happy that it's helped someone out!
Old 06-10-2017, 07:50 AM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2017 C300 Coupe
If I end up doing this, I'll definitely be using your install guide - looks awesome and thanks for doing it.
Old 06-11-2017, 10:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
C63s
Great guide, but only one comment:
Mounting the front camera to the mirror means it's angle changes on every mirror adjustment and it will always be towards one side, more than another.
Imho
Old 06-11-2017, 12:24 PM

C300 Coupe
Originally Posted by auditoamg
Great guide, but only one comment:
Mounting the front camera to the mirror means it's angle changes on every mirror adjustment and it will always be towards one side, more than another.
Imho
Is it even possible to mount on to the mirror itself?? I don't think there is enough space... I've mounted on the mirror housing - the plastic box that the mirror is attached to and contains the sensors.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
C63s
Originally Posted by MattC300Coupe
Is it even possible to mount on to the mirror itself?? I don't think there is enough space... I've mounted on the mirror housing - the plastic box that the mirror is attached to and contains the sensors.
Bottom of mirror, but it's silly....
Old 06-28-2017, 04:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 C300
Is this for a C300 Coupe? Hypothetically it should be pretty similar for the Sedan (204), correct? Gotta find my fuse box.

Also thanks so much for this guide. I just removed my F770 from my old car when I bought my C300 Sedan and I was afraid to do anything to it lol. Hopefully this guide will help me install it without breaking anything.

Last edited by Aimbit; 06-28-2017 at 04:53 PM.
Old 06-29-2017, 02:08 AM

C300 Coupe
Originally Posted by Aimbit
Is this for a C300 Coupe? Hypothetically it should be pretty similar for the Sedan (204), correct? Gotta find my fuse box.

Also thanks so much for this guide. I just removed my F770 from my old car when I bought my C300 Sedan and I was afraid to do anything to it lol. Hopefully this guide will help me install it without breaking anything.
hi aimbit
this is specifically for a w205 C coupe. It will be very similar for a w205 saloon/sedan - the fuse box is the same, the running of cables will differ.
I don't know what the differences will be for a w204!
Old 07-09-2017, 03:19 PM

C300 Coupe
As requested, here's a pic of the camera installed on the mirror housing.

I tucked the cables around the housing and into the roof lining. So the housing snaps back flush to the roof lining. The wires come down from the corner of the housing and roof lining.

looking at the pic, I think there may be a way to bend the vents on the housing and thread the cable connections through - it could be very tight though! I'll try to give it go soon when I have some spare time.
The following users liked this post:
blaferty (07-09-2017)
Old 07-10-2017, 09:22 PM

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
C43 Coupe
This is how I've done mine. Its pretty easy to tuck the wires along the housing, however, this will obviously vary depending on your setup.