Small Rear View Mirror in Cabriolet and other 1st Impressions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 09:08 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2020 CLA 250 4Matic Black
Small Rear View Mirror in Cabriolet and other 1st Impressions

I just spent a good half hour driving around in a C300 Cabriolet

It has some interesting differences that are not as obvious from a sedan background.

For one thing the rear view mirror is like 3/4 the size of the one in the sedan.
I was told its because the wider version shows the rear window frame since its not as wide or high a window as in the sedan. With the top down you certainly have to do a double take as the view is a bit disorienting at first due the clarity of the image and the missing roof line
With Air Cap on the screen mesh is also a bit distracting

The suspension on the AMG Line is not at all harsh. It would have been interesting to see how Airmatic would change the handling of this car.

The top down on the highway is not as quiet as the coupe or the sedan but I think that's a given. But this is easily forgiven as the 9 speed trany does an amazing job of finding gears at S and S+ modes and the engine sound is so sporty. For a heavier vehicle it seems much more torquey than I expected.

The temperature was around 9 but with Air Scarf and heated seats and the windows up its very toasty and you can definitely drive with the top down at even lower temps.

I have noticed a lot of convertibles on the Toronto roads lately so when I pick up mine on Saturday I will be one in the topless crowd.
Oh and btw there is a free silly smile on your face that is somewhat embarrassing.
Old 05-12-2017, 08:57 AM

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
2018 C43 Cabriolet
Interesting observations - I assume you were driving a dealer test car ?
Would appreciate lots of pictures after you pick up your car and more information on the drive , particularly the different suspension set-ups and the exhaust note .
Thank you for your post and good luck with the new vehicle .
Old 05-13-2017, 07:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C200 Coupe AMG
what i've noticed is the rear footroom seems to be tighter is their a differance in vehicle length?
And the chrome surronding the window's is actually matt plastic
Old 05-14-2017, 06:10 PM

Video of my C300 Cabriolet

Got the car yesterday morning May 13.
The roof looked like it was treated a shiny black finish.
Took me a while to recall how to set homelink with my Chamberlain garage door. I ended up reading the owners manual.
The audio setup that works best for me is to have the Surround on and fader set to -7 rear bias. From my seated position it somtimes sounds like it's coming from just behind you or from the sides. Also played around with the Equalizer +3 +4 +2.
I used Mother's (its Mother's Day today) interior protectant on all the non leaher surfaces via micro fiber and then buffed with second micro fiber. I have been driving with the roof down so now I see the downside of this is you get a lot of dust and debris . Now all I have to do is just dust it off or the let the wind help.
When the wind is blustery in a all directions you will feel it even with the windows up.
Dash cam wires in video should be poked back under the windshield detection housing, it must have come loose. I am considering what to do with my rear Blackvue dash cam both ported from my Sedan.
Khazen is correct in thinking that the foot wells seem a bit more narrow than in the sedan. Also the semi circular silver trim that frames the doors and the trunk do feel and look like plastic up close.
The car is really quiet all things considered, you could not hear any wind gust with the roof and windows up.
I have yet to experience the seatbelt rattle on the passenger side but there are no magnet that I can detect anywhere around the housing.
The 9Speed Transmission is silky smooth except sometimes from Reverse to D1, I will keep an eye on this. This C300 feels faster than my Sedan but I think its heavier so it must be the feed back from the drive train that makes you feel the road that much more than the isolated sedan..... or not.

Overall I have to say I absolutely love this Cabriolet, the ride, the features and its drop dead looks.

Last edited by Leslielp; 05-14-2017 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Update
Old 05-14-2017, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C200 Coupe AMG
congrats! looks great enjoy it i could never have gone for the cabrio in the middle east the sun would be unbearable i don't even open my panoramic sunroof
mine was a custom order so i waited 5 months for it i also had them remove the heated sits since i will never use them
i have not had any issues with the seatbelt rattling
i should have went for Iridium silver looks way better than diamond white

Last edited by Khazen; 05-15-2017 at 02:10 PM.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:11 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 C300
Thanks for the review! Great to hear about the suspension, that's my biggest concern.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:26 PM

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts
2018 C43 Cabriolet
Great video and great car , thanks for sharing . As a fellow GTAer I'm planning on ordering a c43 cabrio later this year for early spring delivery next year . I'm told delivery is around 4 or 5 months from Germany .When was yours ordered and was it built here or in Germany . Again thanks and enjoy the summer weather !
Old 05-16-2017, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by mcbc220
Thanks for the review! Great to hear about the suspension, that's my biggest concern.
You should definitely test drive. I am coming from the Airmatic so ride height and isolation is different. The Cabriolet is noticeable lower, the AMG Line setup and 9 speed transmission makes for a more engaging ride. This car wants to be tossed around so its a lot more fun to drive therefore I might be compensating for the overall ride.
Old 05-16-2017, 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by splunge
Great video and great car , thanks for sharing . As a fellow GTAer I'm planning on ordering a c43 cabrio later this year for early spring delivery next year . I'm told delivery is around 4 or 5 months from Germany .When was yours ordered and was it built here or in Germany . Again thanks and enjoy the summer weather !
The AMG variants are beasts, the 43 is the Goldilocks zone for sure. GTA driver's get cars taken away for 50km/hr over and this happens way too quickly on these engines 😀

I was told that June production will be designated as 2018 model.
The sedan gets a few cosmetic tweaks, I have not heard anything about the Cabriolet.

Both the Coupe and cabriolet are made in Brennan Germany.

I did not order this car. There were only two that came close to the specifications I wanted (GTA corporate inventory).

I test drove a coupe prior to getting my dealer to arrange for the Cabriolet to be transported from another dealership. The car arrived on Thursday for my test drive. I fell in love and after inspection (lease ), salesman, Insurance and bank for bank draft I picked up on Saturday morning.
It was Mercedes-Benz who contacted me. They wanted me to take advantage of the Spring sales and promotions. My previous lease was not over until September. This is the second time I was given this opportunity and I could not be happier.
Old 05-16-2017, 12:16 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 C300
Originally Posted by Leslielp
You should definitely test drive. I am coming from the Airmatic so ride height and isolation is different. The Cabriolet is noticeable lower, the AMG Line setup and 9 speed transmission makes for a more engaging ride. This car wants to be tossed around so its a lot more fun to drive therefore I might be compensating for the overall ride.
I like a more engaging ride; I tried out a base suspension and a sport suspension (what they call the AMG suspension here in the US), and I thought the sport suspension felt more "special." The one I tested was on 19"s and transmitted some annoying road imperfections, but I think a lot of that was the wheel size and run-flats, both of which are avoidable.