C300 Coupe 2017 transmission jerking

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 02:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2017 C300 Coupe, 2020 GLC 43
C300 Coupe 2017 transmission jerking

Hi everyone,

I've been suffering from noticeable jerking in the shifting of the first 3 gears and it's really annoying. I took the car to the service as it is brand new 2017 and it only has 5500 miles, and they updated the transmission software but I still feel the jerking. It's really obvious when the car starts from rest and it happens even if the car is not cold. There's no problems at all in the higher gears 4+, but it jerks really bad in the first 3 as if it hesitates to shift or as if there's not enough power to shift. And by the way, it happens while up/down shifting. Hopefully you guys know what's going on with it.

Thank you.
Old 05-13-2017, 05:45 AM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
2018 glc43 AMG coupe
Originally Posted by akramsheira
Hi everyone,

I've been suffering from noticeable jerking in the shifting of the first 3 gears and it's really annoying. I took the car to the service as it is brand new 2017 and it only has 5500 miles, and they updated the transmission software but I still feel the jerking. It's really obvious when the car starts from rest and it happens even if the car is not cold. There's no problems at all in the higher gears 4+, but it jerks really bad in the first 3 as if it hesitates to shift or as if there's not enough power to shift. And by the way, it happens while up/down shifting. Hopefully you guys know what's going on with it.

Thank you.
welcome to the club. Annoying as hell isn't it. At least your dealer gave you a software update. Mine said their isn't one. For me it's the worst part of this car and is unacceptable. Its exactly as you describe; like a double attempt to engage and half hearted one at that. I came from a dual clutch car so I put it down to expectations but many a forum talks about the same issue however. Sorry can't help but feel your pain. Will follow this to see if someone offers anything up. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
akramsheira (05-16-2017)
Old 05-15-2017, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by gravity101
welcome to the club. Annoying as hell isn't it. At least your dealer gave you a software update. Mine said their isn't one. For me it's the worst part of this car and is unacceptable. Its exactly as you describe; like a double attempt to engage and half hearted one at that. I came from a dual clutch car so I put it down to expectations but many a forum talks about the same issue however. Sorry can't help but feel your pain. Will follow this to see if someone offers anything up. Good luck.
It's so annoying, I don't really know how people until now didn't figure out what might be wrong in shifting, nowadays I try to prevent low speeds so as not to feel the jerks while shifting. I'm thinking of going again to the service and let them take a look at it again, I drove the c300 2016 sedan for a week when my car was at the service, and it didn't have the same problem, not sure if this thing does only happen with coupes or it's random Thanks for sharing your pain with me lol
Old 05-16-2017, 01:22 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
C300 Coupe
Maybe when the gear shifts the engine revs a bit more than enough and that slight hesitation in gear change creates that jerk pull feeling...
The following users liked this post:
akramsheira (05-16-2017)
Old 05-16-2017, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Decoupe
Maybe when the gear shifts the engine revs a bit more than enough and that slight hesitation in gear change creates that jerk pull feeling...
Does it happen to your coupe too? And what could be a possible solution for it? Thank you.
Old 05-16-2017, 06:53 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
C300 Coupe
I read that the sedans get the same issue, they mentioned due to possible low turbo boost lag along those lines
Old 05-16-2017, 11:35 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2020 CLA 250 4Matic Black
I noticed this a few times on my C300 Cabriolet.
I used to go from reverse to drive in my 2015 C300 Sedan while it was still in motion and I was always surprised how it just did it without much fuss, it would come to a stop then switch.
I now wait until the Cabrio has stopped then pull down the lever into drive and I don't get the jump. It can also happen when you do go from reverse to drive in any mild incline, if you don't apply any gas it just sits there. I am not sure if it is the new 9 Speed tranny that just does not provide any significant torque at this stage. Pressing the gas pedal has to be done slowly otherwise it will lurch forward.
Otherwise I find that the transmission is very smooth. It does feel like in S+ the transmission holds the gears a bit longer than in the Sedan which don't make sense since it has 2 more gears than the 7 Speed.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
C63s
Originally Posted by Leslielp
I noticed this a few times on my C300 Cabriolet.
I used to go from reverse to drive in my 2015 C300 Sedan while it was still in motion and I was always surprised how it just did it without much fuss, it would come to a stop then switch.
I now wait until the Cabrio has stopped then pull down the lever into drive and I don't get the jump. It can also happen when you do go from reverse to drive in any mild incline, if you don't apply any gas it just sits there. I am not sure if it is the new 9 Speed tranny that just does not provide any significant torque at this stage. Pressing the gas pedal has to be done slowly otherwise it will lurch forward.
Otherwise I find that the transmission is very smooth. It does feel like in S+ the transmission holds the gears a bit longer than in the Sedan which don't make sense since it has 2 more gears than the 7 Speed.
It doesn't seem to matter which transmission you have, as I have the 7 speed in my AMG. It responds the same, unfortunately.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:57 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2020 CLA 250 4Matic Black
Transmission sorted out itself

I am now just past 350km driving and the transmission seems to be more predictable. I might be doing some subtle adjustments such as waiting a little longer to shift from R to D.

Overall the best setting for city driving is S. It has just the right amount of torque to allow you to coast instead of breaking. The downshifts are not as subtle as the upshifts but still not noticeable if you are not looking for it.

I still have to get used to playing with Distronic and Steering assist, I think of both features as cool technology but not something you would want to use on a regular basis. I did note that the system uses the transmission to slow down the vehicle and can sometimes be a bit aggressive dropping two gears.

For those with the AMG Line there is a display under Auto Settings on the Right hand screen that will show you three digital gauges. RPMs, Torque and Oil temp.
I think those with significant issues should see what the shift points are when they get those jerking gear changes.