C300 brake compound

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300 AMG Line
C300 brake compound

Afternoon.

I've noticed little spots of rust all over my car (2017 UK C300) It looks like it could be from either the brake pads or disks as it's not just on the metal, it's over the rear bumper and side skirts too. I did raise an 'issue' with the dealer as I thought the disks looked like they hadn't been machined properly but I was told this was normal.

My track car does this a lot but I obviously run a very harsh brake pad compound on that and drive it hard, my C300 isn't fast enough to need to stamp on the brakes. Anyone else have this issue? I'm going to buy a clay bar and see if I can get it off.

Hard to see as the iPhone camera tries to focus on something in the reflection, but all the little spots you can see is what I'm talking about.

Old 01-16-2018, 03:26 PM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
2017 C300 Coupe (C205)
Not sure if this is related, but I'm getting squeals from the brakes on cold days. Seems to go away when it warms up, so I expect it's just some larger piece of metal in the pad.
But I'll check on rust as well and let you know what I see.
Old 01-16-2018, 03:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
I don't see what you mean on the first picture as far as not being machined. The pads do dust off pretty badly but i've not seen deposits on the cars obviously before like that. Any chance it's from some other source? I've seen the cars plenty dirty but never with rust spots like you show on stock brake pads.
Old 07-11-2023, 05:33 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
C300 Coupe
Yes, an OLD Thread.

However, the Orange Stains . . . Now have been explained and the source identified

As a " New to me " Owner of a '17 for 1 month now, I wondered what could have caused what appeared to be " rust " ~

Or this Oxidized Metal Stain ~ to get imbedded in the Plastic Trim and lower areas of door panels ~ ( Especially when our door skins are Aluminum )

These stains are stubborn, and don't want to come off easily: if anyone can chime with a removal remedy that would be great

Old 07-11-2023, 05:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300 AMG Line
Originally Posted by SouthShore2Door
Yes, an OLD Thread.

However, the Orange Stains . . . Now have been explained and the source identified

As a " New to me " Owner of a '17 for 1 month now, I wondered what could have caused what appeared to be " rust " ~

Or this Oxidized Metal Stain ~ to get imbedded in the Plastic Trim and lower areas of door panels ~ ( Especially when our door skins are Aluminum )

These stains are stubborn, and don't want to come off easily: if anyone can chime with a removal remedy that would be great
Revival! I’ve now sold my car. What I did though was to use an iron removal spray during the wash process, rub it in with hands (using gloves) and it goes purple to highlight the rake material. Then used a clay bar to remove them. Rinse and repeat but it was a constant cycle.
Old 07-11-2023, 06:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 635 Likes on 473 Posts
2015 E400 Sedan
rust spots are either RAIL dust from the original train trip car took or brake dust which has metal rotor dustwithin.

Research Detailing CLAY BAR, as that is what it is good at removing embeded particles.

To confirm get a Ziplock bag put your finger inside and rub on paint if it feels all bumpy like then clay bar will get rid of that and make it smooth.
Make sure you wash first heck you can clay bar when washing by using the soap as the lubricant.

When done them coat with fave WAX, sealant and/or ceramic coating.

PS blow out rotor holes with compressed air once in a while