Should Cabriolet Soft Top be stuck midway...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C-Class Cabriolet
Should Cabriolet Soft Top be stuck midway...

Hi,
We leased a 2018 C300 Cabriolet since Sep 2018 - been loving it esp with the nicer weather of late. Has a nagging question at back of my mind whenever we enjoy opening and closing the soft top. What if it got stuck midway while in operation going up or down, either with a sensor, a switch or something electrical gone wrong? Does anyone know if there's any sort of manual override mechanism or crank that we can do to lock it up or down to drive to a dealership safely? Or are we stuck with calling roadside assistance for a tow?
Has anyone with a Cab been caught in such a scenario, and if so, what did you have to do?
Thank you all.
Old 05-22-2019, 08:54 AM

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts
2022 E450 Cabriolet
This was one of my first questions prior to purchasing my cabrio and I never really got a satisfactory answer , I'm certain there is no mechanical over ride because the dealer would have been aware or at least checked into it . The only response I got was that to their knowledge the problem had never occurred ! Obviously any electrical or mechanical glitch could cause this situation and the only remedy would be a tow ,hopefully not in the rain ! . I think I will question this again with Mercedes because after a year with the car it still crosses my mind .
Old 05-22-2019, 01:48 PM

C-Class Cabriolet
Heh Splunge
Thanks for your input. That's what my dealer here in Vancouver seems to say as well. I posted this question to my sales guy last week, who's a pretty knowledgeable chap, he too was caught off guard and had to go ask someone in Service. He got back later only to say that there isn't any manual crank or override to open or shut the soft top but to have it towed in for repairs should anything fails. Seems lame, but...oh well. I guess we shouldn't let this bother us. Rather to keep on enjoying our baby with its top down while we have this wonderful weather to do so!

Off topic, I just read that Merc is going to trim down their vast model and sub-lineups in the next year or so. And that the C and S Class Coupes and Cabs will most definitely be the first to be axed, esp for N. American markets. Interesting eh!
Old 05-22-2019, 04:26 PM

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts
2015 E400
Originally Posted by ben_aip
...Off topic, I just read that Merc is going to trim down their vast model and sub-lineups in the next year or so. And that the C and S Class Coupes and Cabs will most definitely be the first to be axed, esp for N. American markets...
Weirder still, they are supposedly doing a 2+2 SL model. Someone in the SL forum mentioned that the S-class cab was axed for 2020, so a 2+2 SL wouldn't overlap.

Regarding manual override, here's how it's done in the E-class, I suspect the C is similar...

Old 05-22-2019, 04:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 195 Likes on 168 Posts
16 E550 Cab, 2003 Ram bright red crewcab 4x4 we call Clifford :)
gonna put this link in the E cab section....... excellent info from our UK brethren....
Old 05-22-2019, 07:30 PM

C-Class Cabriolet
Originally Posted by pl626
Regarding manual override, here's how it's done in the E-class, I suspect the C is similar...
Thank you. I just went into my garage to check. It's not the same in the C. There isn't any 6mm Allen Key with the manual and there's absolutely no mention of this anywhere with regards to the soft top's non-operation in any manual or labels. Upon opening up the trunk, I can see there's no removable or access panel for hydraulic pressure release unlike that E in the video. Though I'm pretty sure the C shouldn't be any much different from that of the E's mechanism. Merc might have changed it with these later model years to not have owners tamper with anything. Who knows....
Old 05-22-2019, 07:40 PM

2015 E400
There is a small removable panel in the E, but you still have to take a knifeblade to cut open the panel below to access the hydraulics. It's not the simplest of processes, but it is a manual override...

Last edited by pl626; 05-22-2019 at 08:07 PM.
Old 05-22-2019, 08:08 PM

2015 E400
Originally Posted by ben_aip
Thank you. I just went into my garage to check. It's not the same in the C. There isn't any 6mm Allen Key with the manual and there's absolutely no mention of this anywhere with regards to the soft top's non-operation in any manual or labels. Upon opening up the trunk, I can see there's no removable or access panel for hydraulic pressure release unlike that E in the video. Though I'm pretty sure the C shouldn't be any much different from that of the E's mechanism. Merc might have changed it with these later model years to not have owners tamper with anything. Who knows....
Did you find any lifting straps in your boot?
Old 05-22-2019, 08:21 PM

C-Class Cabriolet
Originally Posted by pl626
Did you find any lifting straps in your boot?
Nope - nothing!
No Lifting straps, no 6mm Allen key
Also, if you look at the posted video on the E-class Cab, you'll notice that there's a removable access panel first for the 6mm Allen key to rotate & release the hydraulic pressure, and then in step #2 you'll have to cut into the carpeted cover below that panel, to expose and turn a grey colored knob.
Old 05-27-2019, 10:11 PM

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
2012 E550 Sedan
Konigstiger posted this service bulletin in the S-Class forum. The procedure might also work on the C-class cabrio if the top were to get stuck.

SEPT18 – 217, 238 when actuating the cabriolet roof open or closed rear deck lid will freeze mid operation w/stored fault codes B251939 & B251739, open PTSS case (MB technical assistance). Top can be reactivated by manually renormalizing rear windows using window switches - pull the button until the window has closed and hold the button for an additional several seconds.
The following users liked this post:
barry5867 (06-06-2023)
Old 05-28-2019, 03:20 PM

C-Class Cabriolet
Talking

Originally Posted by jumpman726
Konigstiger posted this service bulletin in the S-Class forum. The procedure might also work on the C-class cabrio if the top were to get stuck.

SEPT18 – 217, 238 when actuating the cabriolet roof open or closed rear deck lid will freeze mid operation w/stored fault codes B251939 & B251739, open PTSS case (MB technical assistance). Top can be reactivated by manually renormalizing rear windows using window switches - pull the button until the window has closed and hold the button for an additional several seconds.
Heh jumpman.
Thank you for posting this. Don't know if it'll work on the C-class Cab. Nevertheless I'll copy this into my owner's manual, and hope I'll never have to refer to it ever!
Old 06-16-2021, 05:05 PM

E450
Thank You! Worked on 2019 E450

Originally Posted by jumpman726

THANK YOU! This worked for my 2019 E450. Top would not come out to shut and back flap was stuck open. Thanks for saving me probably $2,000 at the dealer ship for a quick 10 second fix. Key is to continue holding the buttons even when they’re all the way up!
Old 07-03-2021, 11:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't have one yet.
Soft Top Got Stuck - one fix

Our soft top (2019 C300 cabriolet) got stuck in the half way position one time. The rear lid was pointing straight up. I tried everything I could think of but the top would not budge. I called MB support and was told to open and close all of the windows using the individual window buttons (not the button in the middle that opens / closes all of the windows together). Surprisingly that did the trick. Apparently if the mechanism that controls the top thinks that the windows are not aligned properly the top will not operate. I am not sure how I got stuck or out of alignment but perhaps this will help someone ...
The following 2 users liked this post by lucasgeezer:
AMG 23 (07-29-2022), mkaise3 (07-23-2024)
Old 07-29-2022, 05:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 C43 Cabriolet
Thank you!!!!

IT WORKED! I spent 40 minutes on the phone with my local Benz deal and nothing. Was on the phone with Roadside Assistance setting up appointment for a technician to come out and BOOM I Google and find this article and this thread. Putting the windows up on the drivers switch 1 by 1 worked. Goddam computers. Lifesaver. Thank you!!!!!
mkaise3 (07-23-2024)
Old 06-06-2023, 01:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMG C63S Cabriolet
Thumbs up 2020 AMG C63S fixed!!

Had the same problem. top cover stopped half way through closing. Dealer said they couldn't get to it for a week. Told me to look online for videos showing how to close the top. Ran the windows up individually and kept the switch made for an additional 5 seconds each and PRESTO!! Thanks for the info. I really didn't want to have to drive over the mountain with the top down.
mkaise3 (07-23-2024)
Old 09-18-2023, 10:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 565 Likes on 388 Posts
2019 S63 4Matic+, 2018 E400 Cabrio, wardens car.
Had this happen to my 2018 E400 Cabrio as well. Pushing each window switch and articulating the window up and down did the trick. What an awesome forum.
Old 03-22-2024, 03:37 AM

C300 A205 MY16
Here you go guys:
Old 07-23-2024, 06:45 PM

2019 C Class Cabrioilet 4Matic
This solution worked! Thank you!!! I have a 2019 C-Class Cabriolet. While closing the top while driving, it stopped with the read lid pointing up. I called Mercedes Customer Service and they said I would have to speak with a dealer. Not wanting to spend money on something which seemed like a glitch, I found this forum response.
I closed and opened each window, holding each button for 10 seconds, and it worked. I believe that one or more windows might have been out of alignment as I may have accidentally hit the "close all windows" button as I was pushing on the "close top" button. Customer Service shoulod have been able to provide this response.