whistling noise AIRCAP c300 Cabriolet

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2019, 11:29 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
C300 Cabriolet
whistling noise AIRCAP c300 Cabriolet

Hi Everyone,

this is my very first post here in this forum. I just bought a 2018 CPO C300 Cabriolet. The car has 5k miles and in almost new condition. I love the car thus far, which is beautiful and super fun to drive. The only issue I have, is with the AIRCAP. I thought this system is supposed to make the open driving less noisy and less windy. Well, mine dose exactly the opposite. As soon as I drive above a certain speed (I think it is 30 or 40 mph) it starts to make a pretty loud whistle noise and I also don't feel any significant improvement compared to the standard driving. Are there any similar experiences? The good thing it is still under full warranty and I will have the dealership take care of it but was curious to see if others here have similar issues.

thank you in advance
David
Old 11-17-2019, 09:37 AM

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts
2022 E450 Cabriolet
This feature has mixed blessings . Yes it does make a slight whistling noise at speed and most people think its an ugly looking add on .
My experience is it makes little difference to the air flow around the driver even at high speed so I never use it
Having said that ,when I have passengers in the rear seats, they always feel a significant reduction in noise and wind buffeting, which is always the downside of a 4 seat convertible .
Bottom line is this car is advertised as a 4 seat convertible and Mercedes has made it as hospitable as possible for that purpose .Overall I believe its a good option for those who need it .
Old 11-17-2019, 05:25 PM

C300 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by splunge
This feature has mixed blessings . Yes it does make a slight whistling noise at speed and most people think its an ugly looking add on .
My experience is it makes little difference to the air flow around the driver even at high speed so I never use it
Having said that ,when I have passengers in the rear seats, they always feel a significant reduction in noise and wind buffeting, which is always the downside of a 4 seat convertible .
Bottom line is this car is advertised as a 4 seat convertible and Mercedes has made it as hospitable as possible for that purpose .Overall I believe its a good option for those who need it .
The whistling noise I have is not slight, it is pretty loud. As I bought my car, I test drove 3 different c class convertibles, the other 2 didn't have this noise, just mine. Knowing it is a CPO, I thought I will have the dealer take car of it later. I think mine has an issue and needs to be swapped. I think driving with that thing makes the car look very strange and I don't think I want to drive with it. But I hate the fact that my car has something which is defective and my wife might want to drive with it.

After many years, I am back to mercedes. I owned my last mercedes in 2005. I think the new cars are more luxurious but in the same time extremely more over-engineered. This Aircap is a great example and another over engineered part is the multimedia system.....
Old 12-24-2019, 03:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 C300 Cabriolet
I have the same problem in a brand new 2018 C cabriolet. When I deploy the AIRCAP (wind deflector) system, and cruise between 35-60 mph, there is a really irritating and loud whistling sound coming from the top of the wind deflector at the windshield.

Do you have any updates on your situation?
Old 07-07-2020, 03:25 PM

Mercedes C300 Convertible
Same AirCap Problem, already went 2x to MB

I have exactly the same problem. whistle noise between 45 mph -75 mph. C300 Convertible from 2018. Bought it with 7k miles, almost new condition.
First time they found an issue with the underlying glue with the AirCAP system, problem came back after couple weeks.
2nd time they tighten the screws and the problem was gone for 1-2 months. Now it is back, not as bad as before but under windy conditions, I can still hear it.
Very annoying. There is no bulletin about that problem with Mercedes, didn't hear about that issue with E-class/S-class convertible.
But looks like I'm not alone. Did anyone from you guys go to a Mercedes dealer?
Old 07-08-2020, 03:38 PM

C300 Cabriolet
Originally Posted by cpeyton
I have exactly the same problem. whistle noise between 45 mph -75 mph. C300 Convertible from 2018. Bought it with 7k miles, almost new condition.
First time they found an issue with the underlying glue with the AirCAP system, problem came back after couple weeks.
2nd time they tighten the screws and the problem was gone for 1-2 months. Now it is back, not as bad as before but under windy conditions, I can still hear it.
Very annoying. There is no bulletin about that problem with Mercedes, didn't hear about that issue with E-class/S-class convertible.
But looks like I'm not alone. Did anyone from you guys go to a Mercedes dealer?
My dealer has replaced the air cap, the noise is gone but this air cap absolutely useless, I don't see any difference compared to driving without. I would even argue it is slightly more windy. There was another problem with the new part, it was not painted and the bodyshop did a ****ty job.
Old 08-14-2020, 12:38 AM

2018 C300 Cabriolet
I took my car to the dealer. The tech did a ride along with me and confirmed the whistling aircap sound. They ordered a new part, got it painted body color, and replaced it. As of a little under a month, everything seems to be working as intended. There is no longer an annyoing high pitched whilsting sound when the aircap system is deployed.
Old 03-05-2021, 08:25 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
'21 C63S Cabrio, '21 Corvette C8, '18 BMW X5
Did everyone's AirCAP whistle noise get resolved long term or did it come back?

I just got a '21 C63S Cabrio and whenever I go over 35 MPH I am getting a high pitch whistle noise coming from the AirCAP system AND a high pitch whistle from the passenger side when the top is down and passenger window is down regardless of if the AirCAP is up or not.

Last edited by smbsocal; 03-05-2021 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Added link to Youtube video of the whistle
Old 03-05-2021, 02:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 236 Likes on 204 Posts
2021 c300 Cab. Arrived 7/28/21 . 24 GLE 450e.
Originally Posted by smbsocal
Did everyone's AirCAP whistle noise get resolved long term or did it come back?

I just got a '21 C63S Cabrio and whenever I go over 35 MPH I am getting a high pitch whistle noise coming from the AirCAP system AND a high pitch whistle from the passenger side when the top is down and passenger window is down regardless of if the AirCAP is up or not.

Recording of my AirCAP whistle
I’m hard of hearing. Vietnam. Can’t hear high pitch noises. Sounds like the car is perfect for me.
Old 03-23-2021, 02:51 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
'21 C63S Cabrio, '21 Corvette C8, '18 BMW X5
The dealership confirmed that the AirCAP and passenger side side view mirror make a whistling noise above 35 MPH. However they are not sure if the whistle noise is normal / typical for the cabrio / convertible.
Old 10-03-2023, 11:37 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2017 s63 cab
Originally Posted by smbsocal
The dealership confirmed that the AirCAP and passenger side side view mirror make a whistling noise above 35 MPH. However they are not sure if the whistle noise is normal / typical for the cabrio / convertible.

how did you make out with this ? It seems I’m having this issue on s63 cabriolet