C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Schizo instrument cluster

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2005 | 04:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
94 C200 Euro-spec & 91 200 CE Euro-spec coupe
Question Schizo instrument cluster

Help! My 94 C200(Euro-spec) has developed a wierd set of instrument cluster problems. Sometimes, especially in cold weather, the speedo/tach/gas/temp gages stay pegged low, as if no power to them after startup. Sometimes this continues for several kilometers, then one by one, the gages spring to life. Also, and I don't know if this is related or not, occasionally the anti-lock brake warning light comes on at startup, as well as the SRS light, but not always together. They usually go off after a restart. Finally, last week, while driving far from home on the highway at Sicilian cruise (about 160 KPH) the oil light came on! Talk about a panic, stabbed the clutch, shut it off and rolled to the side of the road. Checked the oil level, perfectly full. Started the car, let it idle, no noise and while I was watching, the light went out! In the middle of nowhere, so I decided to drive slowly (80KPH) to the nearest service area while straining to listen for $$$$$$ noises. The oil light comes on and goes off randomly, even at slow speeds. This too, has become an intermittent issue. Changed oil with a MB filter, still happens. Is there something I should know about the 202 electrical system, or should I just call her Christine and live with it? It has become a source of entertainment for some of my passengers.
Old 03-26-2005 | 09:40 PM

1999 C230 Kompressor, 2002 E320 4matic
you could have a cluster problem.. it also could be the main harness from the fuse box.. check for corrosion on any termianls that would give intermittant contact.

the oil warning light may be a faulty oil pressure sensor or oil level sensor.
Old 03-27-2005 | 03:31 PM

94 C200 Euro-spec & 91 200 CE Euro-spec coupe
Cluster freak

Thanx for the input. I just added about 1 cup of water to the battery cells, not especially low, but now each cell is above the indicator and guess what? Instrument cluster gremlins seem to be on vacation! The battery is over 4 years old but shows 11.5 volts at rest (ignition off), 13.5 at idle. Could the 202 electrical system be that sensitive? Anyone else have any thoughts?