C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

mass flow air sensor and harmonic balancer trouble

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mass flow air sensor and harmonic balancer trouble

Would repairing the harmonic balancer and the timing cover cause the mass air flow sensor to fail?

1999 C 280 freshly out of warranty. I took the car to repair the harmonic balancer which according to the dealer came apart and damaged the timing cover. Here is a description of what the dealer say was repaired:

Inspected and found harmonic balancer came apart and damaged timing cover/oil pan. Replaced timing cover/oil pan, tensioner, water pump and harmonic balancer. Also poly belt, oil level sensor and value cover gasket. While repairing timing cover, accidentally damaged left cylinder head gasket. R&R (I don’t know what this means) intake manifold, exhaust pipe for left head including cat and R&R l/cylinder head. Replaced head gasket and intake manifold gaskets.

I paid my bill and start driving my car home. 3 minutes into the drive, the check engine light came on. Took it back to the dealer was told the mass air flow sensor failed and would cost $770 to fix.

Can anyone tell if the previous done could have caused the air flow sensor to fail?
Old 04-15-2005, 12:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Uber 202
Im not sure about the first part but $770 for a MAS/MAF is beyond rape. Dealer wanted $500 for MAS, I got it on my own, brand new for 1/2 the price. No labor is required to put this on, it takes 5-10 min tops. Where are you located? If you're in So. Cal, I could help you get the part and put it on.