C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Forced induction

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2005 | 09:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Forced induction

do they make superchargers or turbos for the w202 c280's?
Old 04-06-2005 | 12:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 SLK-280
Turbos, both single and dual. Dual gives well over 300 horsepower.
Old 04-06-2005 | 03:10 AM

c43
mos man has biturbo set that does not get you 300hp...
Old 04-06-2005 | 06:56 AM

I think I replied to the same question on antoher board, right?

www.mosselmanturbo.com

Etienne
Old 04-09-2005 | 12:45 AM

C280
ya know, I have come to research this topic quite a bit. I think any w202 owner would be better off to piece a kit together than to buy a kit that costs an arm and a leg. Here's how: You can buy a turbo manifold from a place called mrp-engineering. The guy can make cast iron manifolds or anything else if you wanna get creative. I've emailed him before, though I'm not sure if he is still in business. His website is mrp-engineering.com. Now for the turbo, you can buy brand new turbos for a decent price. Precision turbos go for about 799 for just about any size. I recommend a single larger turbo to save cost. Like I said you can buy a good sized turbo for the 2.8 for around 800 bucks, like lets say a precision SC44 which would be a good sized turbo for a w202, would spool up at a decent rate with minimal lag. After that it's all easy, well sort of, parts-wise anyways. You can buy oil lines from places like HKS or any turbo kit manufacturer, a blow off valve from anywhere, you can buy an intercooler from anywhere, you can have all your charge pipes measured and bent at just about any machine shop. Hell, I heard you can even have it bent at your local muffler shop. Next, with any aftermarket turbo addition is tuning. You can buy software from performance stores that you can get Honda turbo crap from, and all the electronics like boost gauge, turbo timer, boost controller and all that goodness. Figure out who'll install it, and you'd be good to go. I'll bet you'd only spend about 2,000 for everything. Unless you start blowin engines, but that depends upon how crazy you are.
Old 04-09-2005 | 01:01 AM

there is someone on club202.com that have a turbo benz setup. I don't think he post much, but you could ask him

Etienne
Old 04-09-2005 | 02:34 AM

C280
turbobenz.com if I'm thinking of the right person. Only his was a 220 and his was a custom setup, which I think is the best.
Old 04-09-2005 | 02:45 AM

no, another one

Jason his engine bay caught fire on his turbo C220

Etienne
Old 04-09-2005 | 02:49 AM

there is a picture I also found, don't know what car is it.

Etienne
Old 04-10-2005 | 12:47 AM

most of the install is relativcely simple. i would heat wrap the exaust to reduce heat and to stop a car fire like ive read about.
the hardest part is a piggyback computer to run the extra injector.
this is where i am struggling. what brand of aftermarket ecu and extra injector gives good tunability for a good price?
any ideas what previous installs are using.
cheers
Old 04-11-2005 | 04:16 PM

C280
Lets see, I did some research on ecu stuff. The guy that had the c220 on turbobenz.com uses a Perfect Power Piggyback system that can be tuned via laptop. Something like that seems to be your best shot. I've also been to Greddy's website. They have a piggyback system called Greddy Emanage. It's a universal application so it looks to be promising. The price doesn't look that bad either. I think that a piggyback system might be a winner with a turbo benz, seeing as I don't think they make stand alone systems for w202's.
Old 04-13-2005 | 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by 040mercedes
Lets see, I did some research on ecu stuff. The guy that had the c220 on turbobenz.com uses a Perfect Power Piggyback system that can be tuned via laptop. Something like that seems to be your best shot. I've also been to Greddy's website. They have a piggyback system called Greddy Emanage. It's a universal application so it looks to be promising. The price doesn't look that bad either. I think that a piggyback system might be a winner with a turbo benz, seeing as I don't think they make stand alone systems for w202's.
yep, it would be a struggle to run a stand alone system with such a complicated ecu system (elcetrics a/c etc) im not sure about that laptop tuning, i would prefer dyno tuning for higher hp reliability.
any useful links or other setup ecus ideas would be appreciated.
running an extra injector or 2 seems the go, standard fuel pump etc, just raise the fuel pressure.
Old 04-14-2005 | 02:06 AM

C280
I found another means of engine management. Has anyone ever heard of Uberdata? Basically it is a blank eprom that can be customized simply by using software through windows. This is like chipping your ecu. You can come up with fuel maps, rev limiters, etc all by programming it on your computer and them burning the data onto the eprom. You can buy socketing materials from Radio Shack to place the chip onto your ecu. The only problem is, I'm not 100% sure this would be compatable with Mercedes Benz ecu's and it's OBD 1 only, so it would only work with 94 and 95 w202's(I think those are the right years for OBD1). This is a setup run by turbo honda's, so it might not be universal. It can be tuned though with some dyno time and with the help of professionals(reliability with a benz would definatley be key). I'm still researching this topic so I don't have all the details yet.

As for running an extra injecter, I would just buy larger ones, like say 450cc so you wouldn't max out stock injectors and run too lean.
Old 04-14-2005 | 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by 040mercedes
As for running an extra injecter, I would just buy larger ones, like say 450cc so you wouldn't max out stock injectors and run too lean.
you have very simialar interests to myown :-)
um do u know what the standard size injectors are? 350cc ish?
i am confused by this comment above tho. by saying you dont want to max out standard ones are u meaning replace the standard ones? or run extra 450cc one?
i think u mean run 450cc injectors instead of standard ones? but just confirming.
with this honda obd1 chip thing i think a piggyback will be a more proven model than modifying the stock ecu (cant return to normal) + have the risk of ecu damage :-/
i am working with a I6 c280 so i am thinking twin turbo as then i can use the standard manifolds and just run a U pipe into each turbo from each 3 cylinder (bank). most probebly twin mazda familia gtx turbos, (off a 1800cc turbo)
at about 6-8psi.
what are u thinking
Old 04-14-2005 | 02:06 PM

C280
By maxing out stock injectors, I mean that you can only get so much hp out of them. More air coming into the combustion chamber means more fuel is needed. Stock injectors can only give so much fuel. I would replace all six with larger cc injectors to insure that never happens, although with a modest turbo setup, you might not need to do anything. I learned this from one of my friends who has a turbo civic(ls vtec turbo). He has extensive work done to the engine, as well as his ecu. Because of his stock injectors, he maxed out at 340 hp @the wheels. He couldn't pull anything else out of it.

As far as engine management, I think I would lean more toward the piggyback system, it just sounds much easier to deal with.

If I did a turbo setup on my car, this is what I would do. For starters, I would run a single turbo as opposed to twin turbos for three reasons: less heat, less maintenance and less $$$. Two smaller turbos would perform just the same as a single larger one. My turbo of choice would be the Precision Power SC44. It is a pretty good sized turbo. I think it would be perfect for for a c280 (quick spooling, minimal lag, reliable hp) this is similar to running a t-28 on a b series honda engine. Besides, that turbo new only cost $685(two smaller ones cost double). Even if you wanted a larger one, the next size up from that is the same price. I'd buy the manifold from mrp-engineering, I'd have the down pipe made at a muffler shop. I would have a 24x7x3 in. front mount intercooler. Greddy piggyback ecu, Greddy electronic boost controller and turbo timer. I think that I would buy 400cc injectors just to be safe. As far as charge pipes and misc items such as oil lines could be bought from like HKS or Greddy. My setup would be a reliable setup. I would rather sacrifice big hp numbers for everyday drivability. I think that I would be perfectly satisfied with 255whp @ roughly 9 psi. (190bhp on a stock c280 means roughly 161 hp at the wheels. That is about a 100hp gain at the wheels. With the turbo setup, 255whp translates roughly to 300bhp.)
Old 04-15-2005 | 04:04 AM

i know what u mean by maxing out injectors i was just unsure of the standard injector size.
everything u have said above seems like a good setup, im not sure how easy it would be to install a turbo timer in theses cars though, with the merc imobiliser etc. i see were your coming from with one bigger turbo, makes sence. A cam grind, and steel based head gasget would be nice and maby necessary.
and those hp figures seem good and realistic, more powerful than a c36 :-)