C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Add seat/mirror memory option to '00 C230K

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2002, 10:47 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'00 ML430; '00 C230K; '01 CL500 (passed along...)
Add seat/mirror memory option to '00 C230K

Is it possible to add seat (and maybe even side mirror) memory positions to an '00 C230 Kompressor that just has power seats now? Can this be done through the dealership, or some aftermarket modification? Can it be done with the existing seats, or do they need to be replaced? Prices? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-19-2004, 05:55 PM

Hi...

I have the same question: I'm just wondering if it's possible to retrofit the memory seat function in a 1995 C280? My car already has power seats. If it's possible to retrofit the memory seat (and mirrors) function, can any one please post the parts needed? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-19-2004, 11:10 PM

c43
me three 97 c280
Old 07-20-2004, 03:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Yes, it's possible... but you will either need lots and lots of money, or lots and lots of skill. It would have to be all custom.

I will assume you don't have the skills to do the modification yourself, otherwise you probably would not be asking these questions.

Then, the questions comes to money... but then if you were going to pay lots of money, you would be better off selling your car and getting a W203 or W210 (or even W124) that already has the memory feature.

In case you're still curious, it involves replacing all the seat motors (or the whole seats), the seat controllers, the outside mirrors, and several wiring harnesses. Even after that, you're still stuck with what to do for a set of memory switches... the W203 ones probably are easiest to find a spot to mount, or the W163 ones can be fitted directly to the seats. So that's a whole lot of expensive parts (W210 mirrors alone will set you back at least $300 used), and then a whole lot of time to fit it and get it working. The seats could be replaced with a W210 if you'd like a larger seat, or a CLK seat if you would like a sportier seat.

-s-
Old 07-20-2004, 03:48 AM

c43
hmm I was planning on buying them side mirrors from steve anywho, so just buying 203 seats and having an mb guy put it in?, and what about trunk closer is that possible on my car, I have been looking to update everything for my car and not really sure what is out there and or possible thanks for the help scorchie, heh you seem to know almost everything when it goes to these ol' mbs thats cool man, and if you got any ideas and or things we could do or whatever by all means do me the favor and let me know please, thankyou
Old 07-20-2004, 04:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Ashkan's C280
hmm I was planning on buying them side mirrors from steve anywho, so just buying 203 seats and having an mb guy put it in?, and what about trunk closer is that possible on my car, I have been looking to update everything for my car and not really sure what is out there and or possible thanks for the help scorchie, heh you seem to know almost everything when it goes to these ol' mbs thats cool man, and if you got any ideas and or things we could do or whatever by all means do me the favor and let me know please, thankyou
Sorry... I don't know if W203 seats fit! I only know about W210 and W208 seats. I recently saw W208 seats in a W202 and it looks OK, so that's the best way to get those features.

If you read my previous post, you'll see there's a lot more to it. Seat controllers, wiring harnesses, the door controller modules, and mounting some memory switches somewhere. Keep in mind the wiring harnesses mean basically taking your whole car apart.

When you start talking about taking your whole car apart, you're talking about pretty high labor charges. I can't tell you how many times one of my cars has spent all apart for 4-6 days.

I have lots of pictures of W210, W208, W211, W202, and W639 cars pretty far apart (in the interior). They'll be posted in a gallery in the next month or so.

-s-
Old 07-22-2004, 12:42 AM

Was memory seat ever an option on the W202? I believe I've seen W202s with memory seats - and the memory buttons are on the seat controls on the door (just like a W124). Can anyone compare the differences in the parts and wiring harness?

It's really strange that all the motors will need to be replaced...I would imagine the motors should be controlled by a separate memory module (one of the parts that's required for this retrofit) that'll keep track of the range of motion of the motors and when a memory button is pushed, the memory module will move the motors to the memorized position?

Am I way off base here?
Old 07-22-2004, 03:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by mbtoronto
Am I way off base here?
Yes.

-s-
Old 07-22-2004, 04:06 PM

c43
what do you think looks better the 210 mirrors or the mirrors with the long blinker like on 203 and sl65
Old 07-23-2004, 09:03 PM
Almost a Member!

1984 Mercedes-Benz 190D
Originally Posted by mbtoronto
Was memory seat ever an option on the W202? I believe I've seen W202s with memory seats - and the memory buttons are on the seat controls on the door (just like a W124). Can anyone compare the differences in the parts and wiring harness?
Memory seats were never offered on the W202 - when one compares memory seats with non-memory seats in EPC on a W201 (yes, even those had memory-seats) for instance, it's all different.. Like Scorchie already said it's too much work to be worth it...
Old 07-23-2004, 10:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 98 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
As scorchie said, lots of work. The motors HAVE to be changed to memory motors. This is the only way the controller can keep track of the position of the motor. It can be done though. I have done lots to my car. It wil take lots of money. Fitting a trunk closer on a 202 will not work. You can do a hack job but you will have to mount a switch somewhere, and fabricate a bracket for the motor and do some metal cutting to fit the electronic latch on the bottom. 202's did have a memory option. Even Pneumatic seats! 203 seats WILL NOT fit a 202 because the frames are different. 202's are a bit more harder to work on than 203's becuase most of 203 components are CANBUS controlled. 202 = lots of wires. you can see my mods at http://homepage.mac.com/drsunilpatel/PhotoAlbum14.html
Old 07-23-2004, 11:29 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by shoobie
Is it possible to add seat (and maybe even side mirror) memory positions to an '00 C230 Kompressor that just has power seats now? Can this be done through the dealership, or some aftermarket modification? Can it be done with the existing seats, or do they need to be replaced? Prices? Thanks in advance.
Firstly you need to validate door controllers (inside door). It goes something like this.

- replace inside door panels (very expensive)
- insert new memory switch panel (near handle)
- replace door controllers (in some cars)
- replace door wiring inside door
- install memory seat cables in floor
- install memory seat base with motors
- install seat skirts (cover)
- install memory seat base motor controllers

Old seat frame can be used but the following changes are made

- headrest motor
- seat frame wiring
- seat cushion is the same.

Then outside
- new memory capable mirror frame with or without folding or dimming
(may as well go full option).

Steering column
- motorised steering wheel
- cables
- new cover over the column

So in 4 stages you can do it.
- door makeover (inside / outside)
- seat frame makoever
- steering column makeover
- floor wiring and memory seat controller setup with motorised base

Excessively expensive and probably one of the most time consuming mods around. May as well purchase multi-contour option at the same time. Would only take a miminal amount of work in addition to all this.

You car would be an empty shell for most of it .... a good time to include illuminated door sills.

Last edited by miroj; 07-23-2004 at 11:33 PM.
Old 07-24-2004, 01:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 98 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
Miroj, I don' t think 202 has the power steering column.
Old 07-24-2004, 01:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by sunman
Miroj, I don' t think 202 has the power steering column.
If the W208 or W210 has then it can.
Old 07-24-2004, 03:30 AM

c43
so where could i take it to have this all done and how much and how long?
Old 07-24-2004, 03:49 AM
Banned

so where could i take it to have this all done and how much and how long?
Now that is a tricky question. You would need to join lots of W202 forums and hope that there are people around that will pimp the parts you need. It would probably take a long time to gather all the pieces and then you would need to ask someone like Steve_K if he will install it or recommend someone to do it.
Old 07-24-2004, 04:07 AM

c43
[QUOTE=miroj]join lots of W202 forums and hope that there are people around that will pimp the parts you need. It would probably take a long time to gather all the piecesQUOTE]

pimp parts i need? can't i get them from the stealership, won't someone help me update my 202 to all the options of new mbs
Old 07-24-2004, 04:14 AM
Banned

[QUOTE=Ashkan's C280]
Originally Posted by miroj
join lots of W202 forums and hope that there are people around that will pimp the parts you need. It would probably take a long time to gather all the piecesQUOTE]

pimp parts i need? can't i get them from the stealership, won't someone help me update my 202 to all the options of new mbs
Do you want to spend about $3000 on parts and another $1000 on labour ? I think you can make up your own mind but I would tend to form the view that perfect condition surplus parts are much better value.

I wonder if SunMan would be kind enough to draw up the parts list. Im sure it's a hideously long manifest.

Judging by your comments on the grille installation ..... brace yourself.
Old 07-24-2004, 04:23 AM

c43
heh yeah i can diy small things but nothing major, I mean really i've never had any experience working on cars at all and yeah i'm all for perfect condition surplus parts but if it takes ages to find them one by one I mean my time is worth something, not sure if the savings would out weigh the countless hours spent looking for them and btw is there anything else you can think of that the 202's well at least my 97 c280 lacks that other mbs have, and if it is possible to install them and how much/cost thanks, you guys are very well informed I must say, much more than club202
Old 07-24-2004, 04:31 AM
Banned

heh yeah i can diy small things but nothing major, I mean really i've never had any experience working on cars at all and yeah i'm all for perfect condition surplus parts but if it takes ages to find them one by one I mean my time is worth something, not sure if the savings would out weigh the countless hours spent looking for them and btw is there anything else you can think of that the 202's well at least my 97 c280 lacks that other mbs have, and if it is possible to install them and how much/cost thanks, you guys are very well informed I must say, much more than club202
If you had a 99 model you could have buttons on your steering wheel (W210) and a W208 display cluster like a W203.

There are two type of AMG exhaust, the useless one and the proper one. That is worth looking into.

But if you want a list of mods then you need to look at the W170, W208, W210 more closely. Most of the parts swap over.

Blinking mirrors come to mind.

But if your time is really worth a bundle then I suggest you look into buying a used W202 with more options installed.
Old 07-24-2004, 04:55 AM

c43
I was talking to steve and he said he could do the steering wheel with the options, when i was asking him about the command, also the cluster with those options he said was also could be done, and which amg ehaust should be the proper one that i should get, I was looking at brabus exhaust also yet I don't really know which is best, and in regards to time, every second is not life or death, yet I do not want to spend a year looking for parts if it is not to tedious to find them one by one i'm all for it, I just don't want to be stuck in a position where i have all but 3 parts and other such positions
Old 07-24-2004, 06:16 AM
Banned

I was talking to steve and he said he could do the steering wheel with the options, when i was asking him about the command, also the cluster with those options he said was also could be done, and which amg ehaust should be the proper one that i should get, I was looking at brabus exhaust also yet I don't really know which is best, and in regards to time, every second is not life or death, yet I do not want to spend a year looking for parts if it is not to tedious to find them one by one i'm all for it, I just don't want to be stuck in a position where i have all but 3 parts and other such positions
So long as cars become old and are dismantled then you wont have a problem getting parts. Takes some people 3 or 4 years to find all the toys they want in their car. That is why some opt to just buy a new car with all the options.
Old 07-24-2004, 06:28 AM

c43
but I like my 202 and even if I did buy another c280 lets say a 200 ther eis not much difference between that one and the one i have now, I mean besides heated seats and that other seat moving option, think i saw an esp button not sure what that does and side airbags thats only difference, I'm not gonna be able to get the memory seats or trunk closer in a newer c280 anyway, further more, with regards to command steering cluster and side mrrors I know those are all possible I'm look for different options that new classes such as s and e have that can be retroed into my c280, I plan on keeping my car for a very long time So i don't really give a damn about resell and it turning into a money pit, in all reailty this is my first mercedes and I plan to keep it forever at the very least for nostalgia value

Last edited by Ashkan's C43; 07-24-2004 at 06:31 AM.
Old 07-24-2004, 06:38 AM
Banned

You seem to contradict yourself. If you already contacted Steve then why do you need a second opinion. He is after all the only person in the world marketing option kits to all countries.

Unless you buy EPC and WIS you cant get better than Steve.

Last edited by miroj; 07-24-2004 at 06:41 AM.
Old 07-24-2004, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
C63, GT3RS, 430 Scud, E63, CGT
but I like my 202 and even if I did buy another c280 lets say a 200 ther eis not much difference between that one and the one i have now, I mean besides heated seats and that other seat moving option, think i saw an esp button not sure what that does and side airbags thats only difference, I'm not gonna be able to get the memory seats or trunk closer in a newer c280 anyway, further more, with regards to command steering cluster and side mrrors I know those are all possible I'm look for different options that new classes such as s and e have that can be retroed into my c280, I plan on keeping my car for a very long time So i don't really give a damn about resell and it turning into a money pit, in all reailty this is my first mercedes and I plan to keep it forever at the very least for nostalgia value

newer C class. come with the canbus. which is 10000000% better for retorfitting newer equipment into the car. like the W210 command. it will work much better in an 2000 car than in a 97 c280. yalll hearrrrrrd.

Last edited by tpliquid; 07-24-2004 at 01:27 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Add seat/mirror memory option to '00 C230K