C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

need few things for c280 w202

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need few things for c280 w202

I just bought a c280 '95 today.
I searched the forum to find the answer, but couldn't get a definitive one.
I'm looking for two things.
1. keyless entry
- I heard that this car has vacuum lock system. I guess that means I can't go to circuitcity to get aftermarket system installed. I head someone saying his '95 had keyless system prewired. Is this true? I went to a dealer today and they said they can't go back to '95 models anymore. Is there a way to get a keyless system? (It rained today and it kinda sucked to be standing out in the rain trying to open the door with a key.)

2. cd player
- I noticed that there is a button for CD on my OEM stereo unit. Is there a CD changer that I could use with this MB stereo unit? On ebay, I only saw ones that have firberoptic connections for late year models.
Also, this car has six slots for CASSETTE which I won't use at all. This whole section(under the stereo unit) is useless. Is there something that I could replace this section with? like cd changer or video or nav system?
Old 09-23-2005, 07:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 BMW Z4 sDrive35i M Sport
1.) I had an aftermarket alarm system on my 95 C 280 when I had it. It was from Prestige (Audiovox) and worked very well. I got it on special so I bought it and had it installed for around $200. Look for when Circuit City or Best Buy does those Free Installation sales. I would make sure you trust them first. The Circuit City I had it done at, I knew the guy who was doing the install and trusted him. It took him the better part of 6 hours to do it, but he got it done and it worked with no problems.

2.) Yes you can use a CD changer if you don't have one. you will either need to look on ebay for one that goes in a 97 and down model. The 98 ups have fiber optics so they won't work in 97 down models. The changer is made by Alpine. I have heard of members on here getting certain Alpine aftermarket changers that work with the bus system already in the car. If you want you can look aftermarket for a head unit that plays MP3's. I have a Blaupunkt in my current car, I like it, and it plugs right into your factory harness. You have a lot of options, run a search.
Old 09-23-2005, 09:34 PM

Thank you very much for your help.
Did your remote key do the windows too? I don't kthink they know that MB has vacuum locks when I visited CC and Bestbuy.

I might just get a in-dash dvd or aftermarket cd/mp3 just like you said. I went to bestbuy and they said that they could do it for whatever the price is for cd unit that I choose plus $55 for the wires and little bitty parts.

Have you done any performance upgrade to your car?
Old 09-24-2005, 12:56 AM

1998 C43
98 and under is non-fiber optic. You need to find a 10 pin CD changer and you are good to go.

As for the cassette holder, you could replace it with the "cubby." It's just an empty plastic piece where you can toss things like a cell phone.

You can get more info at www.club202.com
Old 09-24-2005, 09:44 PM

Yes these cars do have vacuum powered locks, but the system is still controlled electrically. So a remote keyless entry can be installed in a W202, at least the earlier-94-95 models, just like in any other type of car with negative trigger factory power door locks. In fact a 95 W202 is very simple to install an RKE system right inside of the trunk.

Part # 202-683-04-91 is the tray to replace the worthless, IMO, cassette holder.
Old 09-24-2005, 10:28 PM

Thanks for your info. Just like you said I got my keyless entry installed at Circuitcity. I got the very basic(no chirp) keyless "entry only" system for $100 plus $35(because it was benz and they have never done it). They were going to charge 60 extra if I were to install remote start system.
I wish I read your message first. They didn't know that they could also do it in the trunk. Instead they did it underneath the driver's side doorstep panel.

I've decided to wait on stereo since you can put any aftermarket head unit, I'll install dvd, gps, and audio combo unit when I have more money.

Do you know if there is any wire or circuit that relates to AC system?
Since I got the keyless installed, my AC is not working.
Should I go back to CC or check AC compressor at a AC shop?
Old 09-25-2005, 12:57 AM

What is your AC doing? Are you getting any air at all thru the vents (warm or cold)? Can you hear the comp. engaging. I know this sounds simple, but is your climate control on auto and the temperature set on low? Chances are they wouldn't have touched anything that would affect your AC, but who knows who they had working on your car, and how much they really knew.

Here is a longshot--did the RKE unit have an external antenna and is it mounted near the rear view mirror? I am getting at the possibility of them having messed around with the overhead console, possibly disconnected and forgot to reconnect leads. The interior temp sensor for the AC is up there. Probably unlikely that is the problem, but something to consider.

If you can't get your AC going, you are probably going to need to bring it to somebody who specializes in M-B. The system is fairly complex and best handled by somebody with some experience working on them. I suppose an AC shop could replace parts like the compressor and other under-hood items easily enough, but if the air handling system turns out to be the problem, you are going to be better off with somebody who knows what to look for on Benzes.

The fact that they charged extra because it was a Benz is BS. Like I said before, an RKE system installs in a W202 just like any other car with two wires that control the lock and unlock functions. The locks being vacuum-actuated really makes no difference. They could be steam-powered, but they would still need the same basic wiring to control the actuator.

I hate to say this, but this is part of the reason I try to do as much of my own work as possible. Cuts down on a lot of variables.
Old 09-25-2005, 02:00 AM

I was standing by the installer through the whole process. They only cut wires that were needed to be cut by testing them out with multimeter.
He also put one wire screwed to the frame. I guess that was for ground.

Climate control unit turns on and works fine with heat. I just don't get cold air with desired temp set at low.
I tried REST button and hold it for few seconds and I got these two readings.
1 -- > (next screen) 81 and up(I guess it was engine temp or something. I went up till 86 after ignition.)

I don't hear any sound of compressor kicking in when I turn ac on and off.
You don't really lose freon all of sudden right? AC was really(or too) ice cold yesterday.

The thing is that even if I take this car to CC again, they won't probably do anything about it since they don't know anything about this car. I didn't even know what they were doing when they tried to remove the cover below the steering wheel.

If I take this car to MB dealer to find out what the problem is, they are going to charge $75 plus alpha.

I wish they would just say "we can't install this on this vehicle because we might ruin your car".
Old 09-25-2005, 02:10 AM

This is the procedure for pulling the diagnostic codes from the ACC system in the '94-95 W202s.

Entering Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Display Mode
1) Turn ignition on. Press down arrow push button until "LO" is shown in A/C-heater control panel temperature display window.
2) Within 20 seconds, simultaneously press REST and defrost push buttons for more than 2 seconds. The Light Emitting Diode (LED) in the recirculated air push button will blink and the display window will show "di R".
3) Press AUTO push button repeatedly, recording each DTC,until all DTCs are displayed. Permanent malfunctions are displayed first. See DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE (DTC) IDENTIFICATION tables.
4) If no permanent malfunctions are stored, the display window shows "En d". Press AUTO push button again. Intermittent DTCs will be displayed. Intermittent malfunctions are recognizable by the degree (°) symbol displayed along with the DTC (example: "04 °").
5) If no intermittent malfunctions are stored, the display window shows "En° d". Proceed to ERASING DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES.

See what you come up with.
Old 09-25-2005, 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by onebenz
This is the procedure for pulling the diagnostic codes from the ACC system in the '94-95 W202s.

Entering Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Display Mode
1) Turn ignition on. Press down arrow push button until "LO" is shown in A/C-heater control panel temperature display window.
2) Within 20 seconds, simultaneously press REST and defrost push buttons for more than 2 seconds. The Light Emitting Diode (LED) in the recirculated air push button will blink and the display window will show "di R".
3) Press AUTO push button repeatedly, recording each DTC,until all DTCs are displayed. Permanent malfunctions are displayed first. See DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE (DTC) IDENTIFICATION tables.
4) If no permanent malfunctions are stored, the display window shows "En d". Press AUTO push button again. Intermittent DTCs will be displayed. Intermittent malfunctions are recognizable by the degree (°) symbol displayed along with the DTC (example: "04 °").
5) If no intermittent malfunctions are stored, the display window shows "En° d". Proceed to ERASING DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES.

See what you come up with.
I gotta try this.
Thanks for the info.

This is what I got from REST button.
01 88
02 10 6
03 10 4
05 10 0
06 17 7
07 LO
08 49 5
09 03
15 52°F
20 02
21 07°1
22 00°0
23 00°0
50 10°c
51 00
52 00
Old 09-25-2005, 02:40 AM

07 is your refrigerant pressure. That's probably why your compressor isn't firing up.