C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Electrical Gremlins?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 C230K Sport
Electrical Gremlins?

This past weekend I drove my 2000 C230K back to college in SC from Huntsville, AL. This was about a 370 mile trip. Going there was fine, no problems to report.

However, once over the weekend when I cut the car on, the fuel gauge only went to halfway even though I had just filled it up during the previous trip. Turning the car off and then back on brought the gauge back up to full where it had previously been.

Now on the return trip this weekend, I was braking to a full stop in traffic along I-85 near Atlanta when my BAS/ESP warning light came on. From that point on, cruise control did not function at all. I continued to drive like normal (about 80mph) until I stopped in Chattanooga for a rest stop. I tried to read up on the BAS/ESP and its effects on cruise control but didn't find any correlation in my owner's manual. Upon starting the car back up to hit the last leg of my trip, the BAS/ESP light turned off and cruise control worked fine.

Any ideas about this? My brakes are squealing pretty badly, and I figured it was related to that at first, but now I don't know if it was just a fluke or what. I'm leary of taking this to MB of Huntsville and having them take all day to give me a "unable to duplicate problem" report.

Are these just electrical gremlins?
Old 10-24-2005, 10:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
things with and without wheels
I get the Bas or ESP light to come on once or twice a year, cycle the ignition and it's fine for a long while.I say it's gremlins.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Lexus GS300, 2007 Lexus GS350
Welcome to the world of benz ownership. They are still great cars and nothing rides or looks like them but they do come with issues. Just take it in as many times as you need and deal with it. For some reason, they still have that charm no other car provides. For support, try www.lemonmb.com
You'll see if others have the same problems. Good luck.