C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Probelm with fuel tank

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2002, 03:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 C230
Probelm with fuel tank

I cant never have a full tank of gas at the gas pump, when I try to fill up a amost empty tank (gas warning light on the dash board), it always stop at around 7 - 8 gallons and when I check with the indicator, it only reads 2/3 full. I have to force the fuel into the gas tank whenever the gas gun pops back.

The car has brought back to the dealer for inspection more than 10 times, they replace many items (sensors, indicator...) but all fails to correct the probelm. MBUSA told me that it was due to MB technology is ahead of the current technology many years,the systems will stop at 2/3 full. I think it is BS becaue they cant fix the problem.

I have try to slowly pump the gas into tank, and it will take 14-15 gallons of fuel. what is wrong with the fuel tank?

anyone has similar problem please help!
Old 08-08-2002, 08:44 PM

'96 C220
So, let me get this straight. As long as you pump fuel into the car slow, it will give you a full tank of gas? In that case maybe...

That would tell me maybe it's something with the gas nozzel(pipe from gas cap to tank)? Trapping air, backing up as fuel is entering via the gas pump quicker than the tank can accept it? I don't have a diagrams of the tank or anything in front of me, so it IS just a wild guess. I WILL say this, I have problems pumping gas into my car if the pump nozzel is inserted too far into the gas pipe. Have you tried backing it out a bit? Are you locking the gas nozzel handle with the little latch(lever) so you don't have to hold the handle?

I just don't see what about that part of the system could cause the problem. I don't know what could be 'broken'.

Just my two cents, if even only worth .01.

Matt
Denver, Co
Old 08-09-2002, 03:12 AM

1997 C230
I think you are possiblly right. When the fuel goes into the tank slow, it will fill up the tank. If I use the hands-free operation, it will stop at arounf 8-9 gallons of fuel, then I have to slowlly try to pump more gas in to get a full tank.

I have tried a differnt type of gas pump nozzel with black rubber cap cover, instead using the regular bare "metal pipe" nozzel. The bare metal type nozzel is only accepting 8-9 gallons of fuel while the nozzel with black rubber cap cover can fill up the tank all the way even with hands-free operation.

So............. need more help from you guys.
Old 08-09-2002, 10:25 AM

'96 C220
Actually I have seen the exact same behavior. My little trick for gas pump nozzels with no spray guard is to back the nozzel out to where it is inserted just about 2 inches past the vapor gate where you put in your gas. It's almost like it's going to call out, but it's not.

Give it a whirl, see what happens.
Old 08-09-2002, 01:18 PM

1997 C230
is this problem a manufacture design flaw? is there any way that I can have dealer to change the gas nozzel since it is traping air eventhough the warranty is already expired. Does any one know where to look for the diagram of this part (gas nozzel, pie from gas cap to tank), and the part number for this item.

Thanks
Old 08-09-2002, 01:55 PM

'96 C220
I wouldn't call it a flaw as we can't be sure it's the same problem just yet. Though, it could be tying into what the dealer previously said about MB technology being ahead of the pumps. I don't really see what could be broken there.

There is a great Haynes UK Publication for the C-class. I have it and it has been a great help. Perhaps you could invest in that and have more information about the system.
Old 08-09-2002, 03:43 PM

2002 C320
I know there's problems with the fuel guage on the W202's...was there a tech bulletin for that? My car is past warranty, but if you still have a warranty have the dealer check it out..

my problem is that my guage often gets stuck at E...then after a while it jumps up to the correct level...it's worse in the winter...i think i just have to clean the floater..
Old 08-09-2002, 04:41 PM

1997 C230
my firend has a 96 C280 which has the same problem with fuel indicator that reads only E even just pumping in 14 gallons of fuel. the car was inspected by the dealer and the fule guage was replaced under the warranty. since then, it never has the same problem.

according to the dealer service advisor, (Penske MB, CA) many w202 has this fueling problem, they just can't explain what's wrong with the car...