C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

BMW guy... looking to buy a w202 for the wifey. help?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 01:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i've lost count
Red face BMW guy... looking to buy a w202 for the wifey. help?

looking at a couple of w202's; a c230, c220, and c280- all around 96/97 model years...

what should i look out for, and what should i be concerned about?

any suggestions on options to look out for? things that i should really want to have in the car?

thanks!
Old 02-24-2006, 02:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'99 C230 K
def get a c230k sport.

youll enjoy it more than your wife. trust me.

try and find a 98' and up model.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:13 PM

i've lost count
anything mechanical or operational i should be looking at (inspection wise)?

options i should try to make sure are included?
Old 02-24-2006, 05:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'99 C230 K
the only problem ive had with may car was the AC (leaked) and timing belt (it was slightly cracked). So i would make sure to check that out, on any w202.

Option wise, mine came pretty loaded.

-leather, moonroof, cd changer, power everything. pretty standard options i guess.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:25 PM

2000 CLK 430 Coupe
Originally Posted by LeftCoastBias

It is unlikely that any of these cars will lack anything critical in terms of options. Considering the age of these cars, I would suggest giving priority to mechanical and cosmetic wear. I seem to recall reading about the wiring harness for certain years in this range, and transmission fluid and filter service seem to be key maintenance items, in addition of course to engine oil.

What are the priorites for this car? Comfort? Fuel efficiency? Performance?

Have you considered a C36? You might find one in your price range, and as an AMG, it would tend to be rather loaded on options. Even if she isn't particular about performance, it's doubtful she'd complain.

Good luck on the search,

e harmon
Old 02-24-2006, 11:34 PM

i've lost count
Originally Posted by e harmon
It is unlikely that any of these cars will lack anything critical in terms of options. Considering the age of these cars, I would suggest giving priority to mechanical and cosmetic wear. I seem to recall reading about the wiring harness for certain years in this range, and transmission fluid and filter service seem to be key maintenance items, in addition of course to engine oil.

What are the priorites for this car? Comfort? Fuel efficiency? Performance?

Have you considered a C36? You might find one in your price range, and as an AMG, it would tend to be rather loaded on options. Even if she isn't particular about performance, it's doubtful she'd complain.

Good luck on the search,

e harmon
the more i spend on this, the less i can spend on the m3 and the project/track car

...so comfort/cruiser/daily driver is what we're looking at... and at a bargain.
Old 02-25-2006, 01:57 AM

Thumbs up

98' c280 Sport!
Old 02-25-2006, 10:34 AM

2000 CLK 430 Coupe
the more i spend on this, the less i can spend on the m3 and the project/track car

...so comfort/cruiser/daily driver is what we're looking at... and at a bargain.
Any of those models should work. Be aware that C220 and C230 models prior to 1999 are normally aspirated 4-cylinder engines with ~150 hp. If that's okay with you, IMO your criteria would be narrowed down to mechanical (and possibly cosmetic) condition, since any of them would make comfortable daily drivers.

If you're looking for a 6-cylinder for whatever reason, you might want to test drive both '96/'97 and '98 C280s, since in '98 the engine configuration changed from in-line to V-6. I believe '98s got an updated interior as well.

If the sound system is important, it may be good to note that an in-dash CD player was not a factory option during those years. Some will have CD changers, but you could also take advantage of the standard DIN sized radio opening and add an MP3-capable head unit, which would not be a major investment at all. IMO, this reduces the importance of a CD changer, even if the car only has a cassette based head unit, which it probably will.

I still would at least consider C36s in the area, because you never know if someone will sell one in your price range, or close to it. It would be somewhat less comfortable (in terms of ride stiffness) but would meet your other criteria and have more distinctive styling inside and out, and if you get the urge to "mod" the car for more power later, you can end up spending a lot more and ending up with less.

Regards,

e harmon
Old 02-27-2006, 08:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 BMW Z4 sDrive35i M Sport
Originally Posted by R0ss
98' c280 Sport!
Old 03-01-2006, 10:24 PM

i've lost count
Originally Posted by e harmon
Any of those models should work. Be aware that C220 and C230 models prior to 1999 are normally aspirated 4-cylinder engines with ~150 hp. If that's okay with you, IMO your criteria would be narrowed down to mechanical (and possibly cosmetic) condition, since any of them would make comfortable daily drivers.

If you're looking for a 6-cylinder for whatever reason, you might want to test drive both '96/'97 and '98 C280s, since in '98 the engine configuration changed from in-line to V-6. I believe '98s got an updated interior as well.

If the sound system is important, it may be good to note that an in-dash CD player was not a factory option during those years. Some will have CD changers, but you could also take advantage of the standard DIN sized radio opening and add an MP3-capable head unit, which would not be a major investment at all. IMO, this reduces the importance of a CD changer, even if the car only has a cassette based head unit, which it probably will.

I still would at least consider C36s in the area, because you never know if someone will sell one in your price range, or close to it. It would be somewhat less comfortable (in terms of ride stiffness) but would meet your other criteria and have more distinctive styling inside and out, and if you get the urge to "mod" the car for more power later, you can end up spending a lot more and ending up with less.

Regards,

e harmon
little bit of an update for you!

1997 mercedes c280 sport
red/black (sexy as hell)
sport pckg
bose stereo
power seats
teles. wheel
cellular (useless, i know)
power moonroof
power mirrors
alarm
101,000 miles

clean title, 2 owner car. (lease, and then cpo purchase)

...i dont think i am leaving any options out...

what would you say i should pay for it? he's asking 9500... i was thinking of offering 8k.

i have edmunds, kbb, and nada (consumer) pricing reports; and of course- they're all over the board.

PPI was done today at a local shop i trust; everything checked out perfect, car was in great shape and cared for well.

the only 2 problems were a bit of rust on the exhaust firewall (which i will prolly end up replacing with a remus or something later) and the exterior needed a detail (too much wax residue, so at least the car wasn't neglected.)

so... what price SHOULD this car be going for?

oh, and this is for the wifey, so i'm not worried about lots of speed (but i did check for some amg models in the area )

so what do you say about this price?
Old 03-03-2006, 03:29 AM

Mercedes c220 for sale

I am gettign ready for a family and just put up mine for sale

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/car/137981265.html
Old 03-09-2006, 04:49 PM

2005 C230K Sport Sedan, 6 speed manual

In the case of options, sometimes less is better. Many options don't age well, especially if they are used a lot. Things like sunroofs and power seats come to mind. Real leather is more luxurious, but the imitation leather lasts better.

The automatic transmission should be checked. Repair, if needed, can be expensive. I don't think manual transmissions were available on US version W202's.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:22 PM

540 6spd
Out of every possible powertrain combination you're looking at the one to go for is the '97 C280's. Drive one and compare them to the other C-classes and you'll immediately understand.

Only thing that you have to look for on these cars has to do with the transmissions on the '97 C280's. Some of them are known to give up on you but if you find one in good condition you should be fine. There were no tranny problems on any other years or models.
Old 03-10-2006, 03:15 PM

i've lost count
we ended up with a 97 c280 sport!

http://www.leftcoastbias.com/gallery/benz_day_one
Old 03-10-2006, 03:54 PM

Damn thats hot!!!!!
Enjoy it.

what Volvos do you have?
Old 03-10-2006, 04:39 PM

2005 C230K Sport Sedan, 6 speed manual
That looks really nice!
Old 03-10-2006, 10:07 PM

i've lost count
Originally Posted by JOESID
Damn thats hot!!!!!
Enjoy it.

what Volvos do you have?
1988 240dl and a 1992 240gl

but i just sold the 88 to my mother in law; she is living in SD but working m-f (and staying) in LA... so she now has a car she can just leave up there, and take the train back and forth for the weekends.

i should update all my ****, huh.

and thanks, i think it does look good. the red is a great colour for the car. ...just needs a bit of a drop and some amg 18's.