C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Some technical questions, need your help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2002, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 C230
Some technical questions, need your help!

I've brought my c230 for 60,000 miles service, on the report there are few items the dearlership recommend to replace or fix, but i don't quite understand what the parts/items for, so i really need your help because they sounded so seriously!

1. Belt Tensioner and shock noisy. Recommend to replace - Labor 1.5 Hour.
2. LCA Bushings Cracked. Recommend to replace (labor 4.5 hours)and alignment (labor 1.4 hours).
3. All 4 door CK straps Noisy. Recommend to replace- Labor 6.4 Hours.

Can you please help me to understand the terms listed above? the dearlership seemed like did not did a good job in explaining the receommendation to me.

Old 08-23-2002, 09:54 PM

'96 C220
Belt Tensioner and shock. It's the pulley that keeps the belt tensioned. You'll notice it has a shock. It looks like a minature shock towards the top left I believe or the belt system. You'll see it. I had mine replaced about 5k miles ago and man what a difference, much more quiet. Because the pulley just wasn't tensioning anymore.

LCA Bushings are your Lower Control Arm Busings. I would replace them. Can lead to your car 'roamin' at high speeds and you'll find it a little more difficult to control. Man notice odd poping noise when doing an extreme turn at low speed.
They are usually about 10 bucks a shot.

Check Straps are the metal straps or bars that you seem on your door hinge area when you open the doors. Keeps the door in the open position using a roller ball and divot system. Replacing them after just 60k miles seems odd. I would grease them and see what happens.
Old 08-24-2002, 01:20 AM

2002 C320
Hmm..i think i should replace my belt tensioner and shock soon..my motor is pretty noise..it was recommended that I do that as well..

60k miles is a little low to replace the lower control arm bushings...i finally replaced mine at 128k miles...i did hear pops when i was reversing (probably started happening around 120k miles)...the labor is intensive if you get just the bushing kit (they have to press out the old one and put in the new one)...and you definitely have to get an alignment afterwards...however you can also get the full lower control arm..might save some $ on labor, but the part costs more...

i paid $475 to have the rear rotors and pads replaced, front pads replaced (labor only..i bought the pads beforehand), poly v-belt replaced (labor only), control arm bushings replaced (labor only), alignment, and a flat tire fixed. This was at a german car shop, not at the dealer.

For the cheapest price on parts, i go to www.thebenzbin.com. The prices are a little cheaper than The Fast Lane at mercedesshop..i've had good experiences with both.
Old 08-24-2002, 01:28 AM

'96 C220
SLK Boy,

I agree with you on The Benz Bin, great group to do business with. Have done so on my '74 230.4, '80 450 SEL and the '96 C-class.

Also suggest giving Rusty Cullens at Wholesale, but I think he's changed the name. Anyway, great guy, always low prices. Know's his stuff. He post on the Mercedes Veterans mailing list a lot. Http://parts.mbz.org

Sounds like we both like to buy our parts, save some money, and let somebody else do the labor.
Old 08-24-2002, 02:05 AM

1997 C230
anyone can suggest a honest MB repair shop in Los Angeles or Orange County, CA area?

I think I will purchase the parts on line and let someone do the labor for me!

Thank you, you guys are great help!

FYI, next time if your check engine light is on, go to AUTO ZONE for a free engine diag. test, its free.
Me engine check light was on yesterday, and I went there to read the code and found out the #2 cyl. missfired, so I know the cuased before I went to stealership to reset the light. it is very expensive to just reset the light, it cost me $95 to have the light off, what a rip off!
Old 08-24-2002, 02:17 AM

1997 C230
Matt:

sorry to bother you again. what's bushing and what does it do?
and what is "roaming" at high speed?

no wonder my engine produce loud noise, I think that's the belt tensioner and shock failure.

by the way, what does the tensioner do to the pulley? and another stupid question, what's pulley?

when i open the door wide, i will hear a click noise, is it the ck straps failure?

i am very new to the engine tech terms, i think i came to the right place.
Old 08-24-2002, 12:31 PM

'96 C220
roaming, just sort of having the car all over the place, not a nice straight line, you'll find yourself having to concentrate more on driving at high speed.

The LCA bushing is just a bushing that cuts down on vibration and noise between two metal points as far as I know it doesn't do anything else.

The tensioner pulley is a pulley that is spring loaded and keeps a constant tension on the serp. belt as the belt wears or heats it will expand and you've got to keep it tensioned so it will stay on and won't creating slipping. When mine failed, it made a 'rattle' sort of noise from the engine compartment, almost leading me to believe that it was pushers or rods, but alas it wasn't.

It the door is producing a noise when you open it and you are certain it's not the hinge, then chances are it's the strap. I'm not sure on the C-class but on older MBs it was a little bearing that fit into place and if it broke it did make a clicking noise. Stick your head down near there when you open it and see if you can pin point it.

In regards to a few posts ago about the MIL light. You should be able to purchase an OBD-II ISO reader/scanner and atleast read most of the generic codes. Set you back about $150.00 but, it's nice to know things prior to going to the shop.
Old 08-24-2002, 11:49 PM

2002 C320
Wow, that's quite a lot of $ to reset the check engine light..i'm luckily the shop i go to lets me do it for free (he also lets me use the machine to read the codes, so i know what they are). I end up giving him some $ anyway.

As for doing work myself, there are some things that i'd do myself..like today dwang and I took apart my door to fix the power seat panel that popped out, and I helped him wire one of his blinking mirrors...it was actually pretty easy...next step is to dynamat the door panels, trunk, etc...

For some other things, I'd rather take it to a shop...for example, changing oil..my shop charges me $10 in labor...not bad, considering they also dispose of the oil for me. Also, changing control arm bushings is not an easy task. Things like that i'd leave to the shop. However, changing something like a MAS take less than 5 min..and the cost of the part is almost 1/2 off what a shop would charge. For example, the shop wanted $450 to replace the MAS!! I bought it at thebenzbin.com for $225..hehe..gotta love the benz bin..

I didn't know autozone could read MB codes..that's good to know...most shops don't like working on benz's, and most alignment shops can't align benz's as well...it requires a special tool that most shops don't have. Also, if your LCA bushing is worn, it makes it almost impossible to align your car. You will feel the car drift to one direction when driving on a straight, flat road.
Old 08-25-2002, 12:12 AM

1997 C230
thanks to you all, i think i will replace the bushing and align the car first. the next step will be replacing the belt tensioner and shock. the door straps? i think it does not create a unsafe driving condition, i think i will just leave it alone until the door fell off

by the way SLK, what's MAS? and what does it do?

Thanks Matt, your detail description is a great help!
Old 08-25-2002, 12:43 AM

'96 C220
MAS is Mass Air Sensor, it's a sensor used by the EFI(Electronic Fuel Injection) to determine how much fuel to provide in regards to the air being brought in for combustion. (I think! )
Old 08-25-2002, 01:27 AM

2002 C320
The MAS is an expensive sensor to replace. It's usually the problem when you get the error code p0170 (fuel trim)...my check engine light did not go on for a few days after installing it, but now it's back on again..arg...i still have to get the code read...no time..
Old 08-25-2002, 05:06 AM

1997 C230
please see below pic for a right LCA (Lower Control Arm), where is the bushing located at? is the bushing connect to the body or anti-sway bar?
Old 08-25-2002, 05:27 AM

1997 C230
some one is selling this piece right LCA) for $115, is it fair? does it includes the bushing?

If I have the shop to replace the bushing only, how long does it take? how about the LCA with bushing together? shorter time to replace?
Old 08-25-2002, 11:21 AM

'96 C220
Bushings are round rubber at back. Has to be pressed(tapped) out to remove.

$115 seems pretty cheap to me, are you sure it's OEM?
Old 08-26-2002, 04:29 AM

1997 C230
it is on ebay, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=1853449852:D
seller did not mention this item is OEM or not!

Check it out!
Old 08-26-2002, 09:38 AM

2002 C320
Make sure it's new and OEM...on thebenzbin.com, it's about $200 each...
Old 08-26-2002, 02:24 PM

'96 C220
Another shameless plug by SLK Boy.

I don't know who produces the OEM LCA. I believe it may be somebody like Lemforder/Pailton but, I could be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time.
Old 08-26-2002, 11:40 PM

2002 C320
Haha..a shameless plug would be "I have set of used ones that I'm selling"...i'm just helping you guys out with the best prices that i've found (esp since i just replaced this recently). I just checked the prices on the Fast Lane, and it's about $230-240 for the LCA.
Old 08-26-2002, 11:44 PM

'96 C220
A Likely Story!

No, I agree as I did before, The Benz Bin has always been great. I've used them for all of my MB cars in the past.

I must say, I'm starting to notice the ride quality on my car is just not what it used to be. The shocks pass the bounce test and are not leaking. Don't know what else it could be, it just seems like the rear of the car is really light over bumps. This whole LCA thing has got me thinking I guess. Maybe just paranoid!
Old 08-27-2002, 12:45 AM

1997 C230
So, does benzbin sells OEM LCA, I don't think the one on Ebay is OEM, looks like aftermarket to me.

By the way, will it take less labor by replacing the Lwhole CA than just the bushing only?
Old 08-27-2002, 09:25 AM

2002 C320
It looks like it just bolts right in...i'll see if the Haynes manual says anything when I get home from work.
Old 08-27-2002, 09:51 AM

'96 C220
The Benz Bin does sell OEM or a great third-party vendor application. I thin I received disc one time that were not OEM but, where great none the less.