C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

New Owner of '95 C280, Few Questions and what I've done.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 12:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'95 Mercedes Benz C280
New Owner of '95 C280, Few Questions and what I've done.

I am the proud owner of a '95 C280, picked it up for $5200 from craigslist. It is in good shape with a few minor rock dings and scratches in the normal places, 115K miles.

When I first recieved the car the CEL was on, pulled the code P1700. Did some research and found that it was a Manufacture Specific Powertrain code. I have since recieved this code two more times in the last 1500 miles, One of the things I've heard it can be from is some valve that hangs up in the tranny? I do not notice any irregular shifts, some may be a little hard but not too bad. Today I changed my Transmission fluid and filter including draining the TC. This has smoothed out my shifts and I'm hoping that maybe it will help whatever code the powertrain has been throwing at me.

Also, on the highway the other day I was doing 75mph with the cruise set and suddenly the cruise kicked off, I tried stepping on the pedal to go and had to push greater than halfway to get it to go. Noticed that my ASR light was on so I pulled over. This was the square ASR light not the triangle exclimation one in the spedo. While this light was on in Park I noticed my idle at 1200rpm and the pedal wouldn't respond unless you pushed it more than halfway down. I shut off the car waited a few seconds started it back up and the light was gone and everything works great. This event has worried me a little because I cannot find anything about the square ASR light in my book or on the forums, I suspect that possibly its from the abs system sensing wheel speeds differently or something but am not sure. Does any one else have any experience with this ASR warning light?

Sorry for the long post but I felt it was better to get everything out in one with as much information as possible. Other than these few events I am in love with my C280, this is my first Mercedes and I'm thinking now that I will never be able to go to anything else. Any information you all have will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by aklett; 09-04-2007 at 12:41 AM. Reason: Wasn't finished with original post.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230K
Do some more searching of the MB forums (not just w202) for information on that code.

It sounds like whatever triggered the ABS light also caused your car to go into "limp home" mode. The car does this to try and minimize damage after it gets a major malfunction reading from a sensor.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1999 C280 Sport
The ASR light could be as simple as a replacement of the brake light switch. Try searching BAS/ASR on this site. I just had it happen to me, and the local MB Dealer knows of this problem.