C-Class (W202) 1995-2000: C 200 CDI, C 220 CDI, C 270 CDI, C 180, C 200 K,C 230 K, C 220, C230, C 280

Engine operating temperature

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 09:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Benzo
Question Engine operating temperature

Quick question - (98 C230)

it's starting to warm up a bit (10-15c (50-60f)) and i've noticed my engine temperature gauge rising above the midway point (80c) just slightly, not even midway to the next line - It does go back to 80c when I start driving & reach an open stretch.

is that "normal" for the temperature gauge to actually move or should I be concerned - My previous BMW's engine temp (which was a nightmare in terms of cooling issues ) stayed in the middle unless something was wrong.

Thanks in advance everyone!
Old 04-20-2009, 12:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 c230 Kompressor
Yeah, that's totally fine. Mine always stays slightly above 80 once the car has warmed up. Sometimes the temp can rise a bit more if the air conditioning is on, or if you're doing really aggressive or city-type driving. But as long as the needle isn't near the red area on the gauge, you're fine. If you're really concerned, you can check your coolant levels. I think there should be an overflow tank with some type of measurement on the side of it. I can't really picture it in my head at the moment. Based on where the fluid reaches in that tank, you'll know if you have enough coolant.
By the way, mercedes makes so much better cars than BMW anyways :P